project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2005-11-16, 14:37   #1
IRONxMortlock
Retired PR Developer

Default Graphical representation of capable flags in AAS please.

I'm a big fan of the AAS game mode. Based on one of the replies to my thread in the general section "AAS the forgotten game mode" I would like to suggest that the directions for which flag to cap are made graphically on the map rather than through text.

I don't really have a problem with it as is but it seems many people are either so used to playing regular conquest mode and/or ignoring the spam that is constantly appearing in the upper left hand corner or they just can't read at all.

A grahpical representation should make the objective more clear as well as reducing clutter and I would be very appreciative if this could be incorporated into future versions of PR if at all possible.

Thanks,

M
IRONxMortlock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-16, 18:09   #2
Hitperson
Retired PR Developer

First of all could you inform me of what AAS is.
Hitperson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-16, 18:19   #3
Wolfmaster
Retired PR Developer

AAS is Assault And Secure, which is a custom game mode for Bf2 and its mods. It basically means you can only attack certain control points, those that are connected to a CP under your control. It also has some other things but that's the big idea.

Wolfmaster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-16, 18:19   #4
dawdler

AAAAAAH!

AAS is flags captured in sequence. Its a gameplay mode in the PRMM mod. Its as simple as that. For a good example similar to BF2, refer to Joint Operations.

Anyway, we need to see on the minimap (and preferably 3D map) which flag can be captured. Changing the flag graphics from US/PLA/MEC/Neutral to a crossed out black flag or whatever to make it visible would be the most ideal solution. I'm not to sure that particular solution is possible though.

Edit: Damn, too slow. Urge to kill... rising...
dawdler is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-16, 18:21   #5
Wolfmaster
Retired PR Developer

lol

Wolfmaster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-16, 19:57   #6
{GD}geogob

Ass really needs a more convivial interface. Text message are sadly not the best way to go. Having clear indication on the map would be a good idea.
{GD}geogob is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-16, 22:08   #7
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

again something FH does well, since push maps are essentially the same thing they have a lot of good maps that use this feature and most of their maps actually are set up so flags are in a somewhat linear order so that if you skip a flag and hop to the next one down it usually leads to being surrounded and overwhelmed, although if done correctly can lead to the enemies flag (the one you skipped) being takeen in the same manner yours would have been if you made your move poorly. there is definitely something to be learned there because a map set up in that way can sometimes involve more teamwork than in AAS (or ASS)

BrokenArrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-17, 09:30   #8
dawdler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenArrow
there is definitely something to be learned there because a map set up in that way can sometimes involve more teamwork than in AAS (or ASS)
Incorrect, because as I said in another thread Conquest (no matter how good "push" layout it has) can never be AAS but AAS can always be Conquest.

Its a matter of flexibility... AAS is flexible, Conquest is not. You can have one enemy flag open (hardcore AAS), multiple flags open (loose AAS) or all flags open (AAS Conquest).

The system used in PRMM is not quite as flexible as AAS should be, but that's because we cant mess with the variables stored under each flag. It has to be "preset" in the gameplay mode. The best way is obviously to add an array under each flag containing connected flag id (if cp.connections[loop] arent captured by team x, cp is closed for team x). A flag with no connections is always an open flag, ie regular Conquest.

It can be "faked" by using areaValue for respective team in a MUCH better way than the fixed Landot AAS. For example, a flag having an areaValue of "3" means that 3 friendly flags is required to enable capture of this particular flag. Several flags can have the same areaValue, ie what I called "loose AAS". This is also better for new custom maps, as there is no need to modify the gameplay python script.

So what I've been saying by this raving rant, no, Conquest and more open flags no matter how good layout they have does not require more "teamwork" than AAS. Because AAS can be everything that Conquest is and more.
Last edited by dawdler; 2005-11-17 at 09:32..
Old 2005-11-17, 22:55   #9
BrokenArrow
Retired PR Developer

right only i said it CAN involve more teamwork, meaning it doesnt always or is not for sure that it does.

Also to the extent i am aware FH contails Conquest maps and push maps. and SOMETIMES you will see more teamwork displayed in a server that is not running a push map. for instance it takes more teamwork to surround and neutralize an area than it does to wage a grinding battle for it and even more to leapfrog that flag and divert enemy resources from what was the front line, so they can try to recap the point you took.

also i was referring to the standard AAS which is more or less a pushmap, that is what we see in FH and for now, in PR.

BrokenArrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-18, 00:42   #10
Nevermore

Quote:
Originally Posted by {GD}geogob
Ass really needs a more convivial interface.......
LOL geo.....i keep telling my girlfriend the same thing :P
Nevermore is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
aas, capable, flags, graphical, representation