project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2011-12-10, 09:43   #1
pr|Zer0
Default [Map] Umm Qasr (4km) [WIP]

Name: Umm Qasr (final)
Download : https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1lbwsdep8xhnmg/uq_v6.rar
pass: test
Size: 4km
Factions: AAS v4: MEC vs GB
INS : MEins vs GB
Gamemodes: AAS STD(jets);AAS ALT(CAS helicopters) ;INS STD(no CAS); INS ALT(still in project).
Reference:

The map will be slightly different from the refference, as Ive added some flags for the sake of gameplay

SS updated on following pages.
Advice is more than welcomed.

Update Jun 2013:
*Added 64 INS STD ,
*rearranged some enterable buildings(they were stacked together, now thay are a bit spread out)
*Updated AAS routes for std and alt layers
*Insurgency: - boosted the INS assets -pickup kits - CE, RPG, PKM, Marksman, Sniper;
- combat vehicles -SPG, 50cal, bombcars/trucks
- civilian assets: bikes and cars:still need an slight increase in number due to map size(4km)
- increased cache number

Minimap(latest version):

STD Layer atack routes, if anyone is curious(ignore terrain LM error, its fixed already)

Some Screenshots(note that lightmapping is not done at all, thats why buildings are very bright:

Last edited by pr|Zer0; 2015-07-15 at 05:26.. Reason: new map build dld link
Old 2011-12-11, 09:10   #2
dtacs
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Map] Umm Qasr(4 km) [WIP]

Looks great. I suggest you change the docks so it isn't a clone of the ones on Muttrah, Beirut and Marlin. Try different wharves, multiple or sunken ships, an oil-ship transfer facility (this IS Iraq) or a local village near it to either house the workers, or to provide a micro-economy with cafes and shops.

Also, be sure that it doesn't become too similar to Burning Sands, keep it as unique as you can. Good luck, provide updates when you can
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 09:32   #3
Spush
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Spush is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 09:47   #4
Pvt.LHeureux
-

If you really consider insurgency mode, you should put some outside villages and other points of interest to fully use the 4km map.
Pvt.LHeureux is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 16:12   #5
pr|Zer0
Default Re: [Map] Umm Qasr (4km) [WIP]

As soon I finnish with large interest areas(docks,city,refinery,oilfields bunkeres etc),wich require a lot of work, ill add some more control points(like small villages,fishing ports etc) in order to comply with AAS v4 and also to make a 4km INS layout playable for both sides.
I must also add Im in Iraq now with my job, and map progress slowly,considering i work 2hrs/day on this map,so bear with me. As a foot note, ill edit first post in order to provide good quality SS for main areas (Umm qasr docks are totally different from Muttrah btw, but its not your fault...screenies are not relevant).
Stay put and see ya all soon.
pr|Zer0 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 17:31   #6
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Is the water final? ON the minimap its really different from the reference, and frankly I like the shape of water much more in the ref...

-lucky

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 17:51   #7
pr|Zer0

water, frankly, is a waste of space IMO if you dont have an water base(like carrier or island)...and only a part of the river was included, and even that part was reduced. If you check 4 km maps,any of them, you'll see the water is only in verry small % of the map. Space is needed for gameplay.
On topic, refference layout is a no-go because of the choke points on the upper half of the map.
Layout will be as same as one on minimap.
pr|Zer0 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 17:57   #8
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Including a body of water does have advantages, you can dump the colour textures etc undearneath if its large enough, saving memory to reduce chances of client crashes etc.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 18:02   #9
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rudd View Post
Including a body of water does have advantages, you can dump the colour textures etc undearneath if its large enough, saving memory to reduce chances of client crashes etc.
the body of water has to be deep enough not to warrant any transparency in the water and large enough to cover an entire terrain patch. If that's the case then the editor will do this automatically but unless Payne is going to go miles off his reference, he's not going to have a body of water larger enough to do this even for one patch.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 18:11   #10
Web_cole
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne View Post
Gamemodes: AAS v4(will consider insurgency after AAS is completed)
It doesn't seem to me like tacking on Insurgency as an afterthought works very well, a la Operation Marlin. I would think if you do want to have both Ins and AAS you should design the map from the ground up in such a way that it works well for both.

Web_cole is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
4km, map, qasr, qasr4, scrapped, umm, wip