project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2008-08-19, 20:19   #1
google
Default NATO HAT and insurgents

I did a quick forum search and checked the allready suggested suggestions list, so please forgive my incompotence if it was allready suggested.

Anyway, on Al Basrah, sometimes a Brit foolishly decides to grab a HAT kit and go into battle only to have an insurgent steal it and use it to do a lot of damage. So, an idea popped in my head. Insurgents would most likely never recieve the proper training to use an SRAW. So, is it possible to make the NATO HAT kit unusable for the insurgents.

Also, I'm not sure how the Eryx and the SRAW function. But if you require specific training for each of them, perhaps the Eryx should be unusable to NATO factions and the SRAW unusable to the non-NATO factions.
google is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 20:24   #2
gclark03

Default Re: NATO HAT and insurgents

The Brits should be penalized for being stupid enough to use HAT at all. There's nothing it can do to the Insurgents that LAT cannot, and LAT is even weaker than the RPG-7 when captured by the Insurgents (not counting the extra gear alongside the launcher).

HAT should be removed from all Insurgency maps, rather than simply disallowing the Insurgents' use of it. Besides, using HAT against the Brits is only a good way of reminding them of their own ineptitude...
gclark03 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 20:26   #3
DavidP
Banned

Don't agree. Soldiers in real life don't have training in use of enemy weapons, but they still use em anyway.(Did you know the RPG-7 has a double trigger?)

Also I do think that the H-AT should be removed from basrah, And replaced with either an extra Support or Light AT kit.
DavidP is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 20:33   #4
Dunehunter
Retired Moderator
Supporting Member

To do that there would have to be a British faction especially for Basrah, leading to doubling a lot of data and making the mod bigger for no real effect, so that's probably not going to happen. If people really have to use a H-AT on Basrah, be careful where you take it, and make sure you have enough security with you.

[R-MOD]Jigsaw] I am drunk. I decided to come home early because I can''t realy seea nyithng. I hthknk i madea bad choicce.
Dunehunter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 20:34   #5
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

In real-life it depends on the insurgency and/or militia you're dealing with. Many of them don't just get their weapons from other countries but get their training from them too.

Example 1: Proxy groups in Iraq are known in the past to have recieved training from Iranians

Example 2: During the Russain invasion of Afghanistan, the Mujahideen received training from the CIA. (notably, how to fully operate the FIM-92 Stinger)

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Jaymz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 20:58   #6
steve_06-07

Speaking of the Stinger, I've known the Brits to get a Stinger on Al-Basrah also, I say leave it as is, if you're dumb enough to get a HAT then it's your fault if the insurgents get ahold of it(same with Stinger)
steve_06-07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 21:55   #7
Killer-Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Jaymz View Post
In real-life it depends on the insurgency and/or militia you're dealing with. Many of them don't just get their weapons from other countries but get their training from them too.

Example 1: Proxy groups in Iraq are known in the past to have recieved training from Iranians

Example 2: During the Russain invasion of Afghanistan, the Mujahideen received training from the CIA. (notably, how to fully operate the FIM-92 Stinger)
Even if some insurgents have the knowledge to operate H-AT I still don’t like the fact that it can be reloaded from anything anywhere. The argument that it can get stolen and used it is understandable, but why can it be reloaded?

I think the current way of H-AT kit needs some tweaking. Make the soldier just carry one, and only allow reloads from bunkers and firebases, somehow I think that jeep/technical ammo might still give insurgents the ability to abuse it.
Killer-Ape is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 21:57   #8
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidP View Post
Don't agree. Soldiers in real life don't have training in use of enemy weapons, but they still use em anyway.(Did you know the RPG-7 has a double trigger?)

Also I do think that the H-AT should be removed from basrah, And replaced with either an extra Support or Light AT kit.
agreed, plus most antitank weapons now adays have the instructions stenciled on the side
Bringerof_D is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 22:18   #9
Tirak

Ala the AT-4 that has the words "Point Towards the Enemy" on the front
Don't agree with the suggestion, like most have said, if you're dumb enough to bring it onto the field, you'll have to reap the consequences.
Tirak is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 22:32   #10
AnRK
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]dunehunter View Post
To do that there would have to be a British faction especially for Basrah, leading to doubling a lot of data and making the mod bigger for no real effect, so that's probably not going to happen. If people really have to use a H-AT on Basrah, be careful where you take it, and make sure you have enough security with you.
Take it that means my idea from like a year ago to have a different set of kits depending on the map ISN'T possible then. You do get answers on these kinda things after a while afterall
AnRK is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
hat, insurgents, nato