project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Maps
22 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2012-08-01, 13:37   #1
Zeno

Default Badhis Mountains Feedback

This is a feedback thread for the Badghis mountain map, but before you post you must read this:

- This is a GAMEPLAY test, so post relevant feedback based on your experiences of how the map flows gameplay wise, and give me CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK.

- This map is still WIP and therefore it is still open for changes.

- The roads are WIP

- the textures are WIP

- the compunds are WIP

- The cache placement are WIP

- Assets are WIP

that is all

Link to the PRTA event:
Linkie
Zeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 14:28   #2
WeeD-KilleR
Supporting Member
Default Re: Badhis Mountains Feedback

I am running a local test in the same time as I write this. So this is basicly live testing. Will edit things all the time. Ok, let's get started:

General:
+Nice map itself. Looks authentic.
- Missing undergrowth. The map looks a bit empty because of it lacks of undergrowth. Specially on the hills. Some more bushes here and there would do good too.
-GRID-System is missing. Makes it unbelievable hard to give any positions...
- Dam on the north eastern side of the map looks clusterfucked.
- Taliban mainbase is a HESCO barrier paradies. I generally wonder why they got such a huge badass mainbase. Scenario is that they overtook it from the US?
-Transport missing, specialily right on the beginning and no resupply at :43min.

FOB system on your Map:
+ I like the FOB for the US Army. Would be cool if the FOB is choosing randomly. (Loaded the Map twice so and got the same flag twice. Will test it further.
+ Like the Idea of being able to cap the FOBs as taliban.
- FOB Einherjar looks only like HESCO barriers. Not good tho. Also there is one HESCO barrier between the Mortars who goes into the ground. People will walk over it all the time and hurt themself.
- I am missing a real FOB placement in Einherjar (The asset itself).
- The mortars despawn after a time. Would like to see them forced to use this position.
- No possibility to resupply the mortars since the entrance is too small for a logistic truck. And no helo spawned until now.
- Loaded the map several times now. Always getting the same FOB-Flag. Too bad, liked to see to get the other FOB to the west of Einherjar and maybe a helicoptor spawning on it (Kiowa or BH).
Last edited by WeeD-KilleR; 2012-08-01 at 15:13..
Old 2012-08-01, 17:26   #3
PRICHM

[QUOTE=WeeD-KilleR;1799490maybe a helicoptor spawning on it (Kiowa or BH).[/QUOTE]

I'd say that they shouldnt get a BH. So that the only way to get crates to the infantry would be with the logitruck. Thing is they only have 1. Give em 2 to balance it . Kiowa could be fun.
PRICHM is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 17:48   #4
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

i would suggest to not use any sort of capable flags on insurgency. we had this on korengal few versions back and it only distracted from the real objective. with 2 caches there is no place for a third objective.
the fobs should be preferred positions to hold as taliban/blufor but shouldnt be forced into the game by putting flags. like the vcp on basrah or the castle on archer.
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 18:09   #5
Pronck
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
i would suggest to not use any sort of capable flags on insurgency. we had this on korengal few versions back and it only distracted from the real objective. with 2 caches there is no place for a third objective.
the fobs should be preferred positions to hold as taliban/blufor but shouldnt be forced into the game by putting flags. like the vcp on basrah or the castle on archer.
Well, if the caches are way too hard it could make the "harder" maps more fun to play with these flags. Since you are always having a fight. I would suggest reversed INS where he INS should capture flags that are defended by the BLUFOR.

We are staying up!
Pronck is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 19:36   #6
Zeno

Taliban main is supposed to be an abandoned Russian base so it will get a remake with more "russian" style objects and not hesco

i couldnt find a Fixed version of the mortars, only the deployable type, the point is that the fob need to hold out until relieved by reinforcements.

i will widen the enterance to allow for logi to enter.
Old 2012-08-01, 23:43   #7
PRICHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
I couldnt find a Fixed version of the mortars, only the deployable type, the point is that the fob need to hold out until relieved by reinforcements.
This is good. They can also secure the area so that a logitruck can somewhat safely get to them.
PRICHM is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 00:48   #8
40mmrain
Supporting Member

Firstly Zeno, I must congratulate you on this map, it's mostly finished as it would seem and well done in most places. Now, for preliminary feedback.

Firstly, I'd like to discuss the assets. This map is THE perfect, kiowa and chinook map. Trucks and bradleys really arent what the americans use in afghanistan, especially high up in the mountains like that. The impassable mountains, lack of roads entirely, hard terrain, and the fact that there is a fob that desperately needs supplying all call out for the kiowa and chinook to be used. I dont think this map can be successful without a transport heli for the americans, logistics, although not impossible will be a nightmare, and rarely will fobs be built close to far off caches, and never more than one. Of course this IS testing, so DONT go swapping out the trucks now, but my opinion as it stands is that getting rid of all logis but one, and putting in a chinook is the best option. Secondly, ditching the bradley. I think this map is something that kokan tried to be, but couldnt. What I mean by that is, that kokan uses that assets i speak of, the ones that americans frequently use in afghanistan, but they are really just not used like theyre supposed to. The tiny draw distance, and half of the map being unused doesnt favour tactics like fire support with the stryker, or scouting with the kiowa at all. Because of the 1000m draw distance that badhis mountain has, and the terrain, I dont think the bradley is really that appropriate. Again, it's worth testing, this is the point of this event, but I think the stryker's .50 could actually perform well in this map. Because of the terrain, using SPGs, and especially gary will be a huge challenge for the taliban, and the bradley might be too powerful in certain situations. Secondly, on the topic of the kiowa, again because of the massive draw distance, scouting with the kiowa would become far more legitimate, on kokan, flying above 200m means you can barely see the ground. A .50 + 2 hellfire kiowa, in my opinion would be perfect for this map, it would allow for scouting, and support. The taliban's assets seem to lack an ammo techi for mortars, any bikes for trans, and only 2 .50 techi is underwhelming. Also, the gary is going to be completely useless on this map, guaranteed INFA 100% due to terrain, archer has proved this. Seems like this needs changing.

Suggest:
US Army: 1 chinook CH47, 1 Stryker ICV, 1 OH-58D kiowa w/ .50 cal + 2x AGM-114 or .50 cal + 7x hydra, 1 logistics truck, 2 HMMWV
Taliban: 2x SPG techi, 3x .50 techi or 1x AA techi (if this is in next patch), 15-20x bikes, 1x ammo techi

Secondly, ill address caches. this requires much playtesting to make any conclusions so ill just post an example I found, and things to look out for in testing.

1) Are caches too predictable? This map is like operation archer in quite a few ways, and one of the issues archer has with unknowns is that theyretoo easy to find. There are a very limited number of compounds and locations within those compounds to easily locate caches on archer. Although there quite a few more caves, random bunkers, and such to bring badhis up to a better map like lashkar's level, this is worth considering. Americans should attempt to search for unknowns, and if theyre too succesful we may need to change this. HOWEVER, if DB's mod and the new 1 cache system becomes official, and I hope it does, this completely scoots around this issue.
2) Bad caches, this is obvious. Are there multi level impossible cave systems? Are there caches that you couldnt build a fob close enough to, and it becomes impossible to assault? Too close to either main? Out in the wide open for bradley?

Here's an example. Caches out in the open like this, dont work. Too easy to mortar or arty, to easy to HAT, to easy to bradley, if all it takes is giving it a little house or tent then fine. Images of said cache and more here:

Thirdly, the map itself has some issues. Some oversights include the dam to nowhere. I dont know what the point of that dam static is, when no river flows to or from it? There also is no control room for it? Perhaps adding a building around it, as a cache location could be good, in making it feel more "in place", and fixing the bad cache in my album below. Another anomaly are the roads. Firstly, theyre not roads, but they lead away from taliban main like they are. Are they creek beds or roads, sometimes they appear to be one or the other in places? You take damage, you also take damage driving nearly everywhere too with a humvee. Another issue is a bunker with no ladder (link posted), it's in the C1-D1 area I believe. Finally is the outpost. It's a good idea, I believe, a secure spawn point that can lay fire down across the map, fire mortars from, etc. but it will fail to be useful for two good reasons. Firstly, no supplies will come to it. As far as I can tell only one logi spawns, and it will not be used to resupply the FOB. It will be needed for fobs desperately, and if it's destroyed or abandoned in the field, there is no other option. A chinook in the map would completely fix that. Secondly, it's impossible to shoot out of, and it's impossible to set up assets that can fire out of it. You literally, can not see out of the base, all you can do to hold it, is camp the entrance. Fixed machine guns that dont suck, and the ability for soldiers to actually see over the hescos would be nice. if new statics need to be developed, so be it. Enclosed, an image of what a guard tower ought to look like, with a scoped m240, camo net, and an actual field of fire. Also, the size of the thing doesnt lend itself to be able to place mortars.

http://imgur.com/a/ISfpj#0
Last edited by 40mmrain; 2013-02-08 at 05:12..
Old 2012-08-02, 01:37   #9
Zeno

the pics are not publicly avaliable..

you made some good points that will surely be taken into considering, but you must remember that the end faction for this map will be NF vs Taliban, so kiowas and Chinooks are no go..

i tried to make the assets most like the NF assets would be :

Humvee: IVECO
Bradley: CV9030
the m4 is also similar to the Hk416

Bell 416 will be an option when we get that far.
Old 2012-08-02, 02:03   #10
40mmrain
Supporting Member

should be public now. Yes, a couple bell 412s with door guns should suffice along with a CV9030 as a substitute for the fire support provided by the kiowa. Do the norwegians ever fit Hydra pods and cameras on 412s like the marines? this map is too perfect for scout helicopters..

Keeping the bradley in is fine, it's yet to be seen, but I think choppers are totally necessary.
Last edited by 40mmrain; 2012-08-02 at 02:12..

Tags
badhis, feedback, mountains