project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
07 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2009-06-16, 16:36   #1
Chammy
Default Information on Windows 7....anyone?

Hello all,

I just completed building a new computer:

Gigabyte EP43-UD3L motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad 8200 8x
WD SATA 160GB HD
EVGA Geforce GTX285 1GB blah blah blah

Ok, I just installed, well , almost, Windows XP Pro now it is stuck on the serial number thing in order to complete installation BUT, I have no serial number because I have no idea where I put it at, since I bought it on Ebay from a someone who copied it, but I did not know until I received the CD, lesson learned. The guy had been good at updating and sending new info and software updates but now he has been absent from the net for a couple months, even his website so maybe he got the can.

Masaq suggested I use Windows 7 RC. Now before I do this another question: Will I be able to turn off my new computer even though its still waiting for me to input the serial number?

And, does anyone run Windows 7 on their computer currently at this time? And how well does it operate other programs, like internet usage and games is my main concern right now before I decide to do this?

I have been looking for a serial number via pirate but I know that is a bit risky.

thanks all in advance

Old 2009-06-16, 19:30   #2
Wraith
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: Information on Windows 7....anyone?

I have two computers running windows 7... go to the MS website and get a key (free) that lasts for a year. It's nice and stable so far, I have had NO problems. I've hot swapped graphics cards and after a reboot they work great. I have not found a program/game/hardware device that doesn't have a driver (you may have to use the vista driver but it still works).

If you are using a 32 bit OS and have 4gb ram it will still utilize all 4gb by dedicating one gig to the OS then leaving the other 3 gigs strictly as "program" RAM that is used by running apps.

Old 2009-06-16, 21:00   #3
Chammy

Right on,

So what I will need to do is burn Windows 7 onto a disc and boot my new computer from there? Can I turn my computer off even though I have not entered the serial number ? Would you know of a place ican get a serial number for Win XP for the time being?

Oh, Admin, can you please transfer this thread to software? I put this in the wrong topic area.
Old 2009-06-16, 21:19   #4
Robbi
Supporting Member

Moved mate and PM sent

Old 2009-06-16, 22:42   #5
Chammy

Heh heh, thanks Robbi

Tags
7anyone, information, windows