project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-17, 22:45   #1
Integ3r
Default Reimplement accuracy indication

Why in the world do I need 25 posts to post a simple suggestion?! You brought this upon yourself, I'm not going to spam 25 posts in order to make a simple thread! Nor am I going to spam 15 posts just to reply to a thread in the suggestion forum. I'M trying to HELP here. So my suggestion goes here instead.

Bullet deviation and accuracy simulation
As far as I understand it; it is currently not known how to make weapon sway work properly, so deviation from BF2 is used to simulate difficulty when aiming, right?

Realism argument:
In the real world, you would have fairly good idea of where you're aiming, and where the bullet will go. Maybe the iron sights are slightly off center and whatnot and it is this that determines if you choose to steady your aim further, or take the shot if it's good enough.
Currently, in PR, you have NO indication of your accuracy. All that is known, is that for X seconds you need to not move your aim in order to reach optimum accuracy. You don't really know the impact recoil has on your steadied aim either. Other than it resets it to somewhere around X as well as changing the camera position. This is not realistic, and it works counter intuitively.

Gameplay argument:
The current model forces players to do 2 things. Either, somehow check the game files for the amount of seconds needed for a weapon to reach a certain accuracy. Or, experiment with each weapon and note the average time it takes to get an accurate shot with each weapon. Or (the most popular one, is my guess) play, and try to get an intuitive understanding for each weapon (very time consuming, and leads to incompetent players messing up more than they should, and competent players getting screwed over for not having pointless pre-requisite knowledge about how long it takes to steady a weapon).

For the balancers, the current model is counterproductive aswell. Since players have no real knowledge of how each weapon handles unless they take the time to experiment, exploits and imbalances are not found as quickly as they should, but are kept secret to those few who know, and they gain an unfair advantage for performing a pretty redundant and meaningless experiment. It's not a test of skill, but rather dedication. Is that your desire? If so, fine, but I disagree that it's something worth testing when it also frustrates even more.

Proposed solution:
This will probably not be popular initially, but I think it's a good idea. Implement an accuracy indicator when aiming down the sights. Be it a bar giving you the rough idea, or crosshairs from BF2, or like the ones on the HAT kit. This solves a lot of problems and seems like a way better method of doing things.

Realism:
Sure it's not realistic, but neither is bullets magically going nowhere near the area you're pointing. It's furthermore not realistic to have NO indication what so ever of how accurate the shot will be. The deviation simulates sway, the crosshairs visually represent the sway. A REAL soldier would know how the weapon handles already. There's no point in the player having to train himself by learning this stuff.

Gameplay:
Sure, we might see initial imbalances appear as people learn to place shots with greater accuracy way more accurately. It'll also erase the severeness of a n00b with a sniper kit, or a LAT/RPG, as they will instantly know how to use it. But the previous solution WAS a cop-out. It'll also be EASIER to balance now that imbalances can be found.
Old 2009-11-17, 23:02   #2
gazzthompson

Default Re: Reimplement accuracy indication

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...ll-rifles.html

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...indicator.html

This is why you need 25 posts, search the forums more.

Old 2009-11-17, 23:54   #3
Integ3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzthompson View Post
I did search. Most of those threads are either ancient or doesn't provide a pretty cohesive picture of why it should be implemented. I felt that with PR closing on v1.0. This should be reconsidered, or clarified what is actually going to happen.

I made this thread to emphasize the point aswell (that I think it's needed).

EDIT: I've said pretty much everything I have to say. Banning me or not for posting things not exactly where they belong won't matter too much, atleast to me.

EDIT EDIT: I also thought I made it clear in the OP:
I couldn't post in any of those threads without alteast 15 posts.
Last edited by Integ3r; 2009-11-18 at 00:06..
Old 2009-11-18, 00:20   #4
=Toasted=

With your first 2 posts being nothing short of a rant, Your not making a very good first impression.
Last edited by =Toasted=; 2009-11-18 at 00:31..
Old 2009-11-18, 00:37   #5
Integ3r

It doesn't matter how much of a douche you think I am or not. Everyone in the world could think I was the king of douchetopia. What matters is, am I right or wrong? As long as accuracy indication is even thought about once again, then I've accomplished what I've set out to do. I'm not here to impress anyone. I genuinely think the mod would be better with this change.

EDIT: "You're" use of "your" instead of "you're" doesn't make for a good first impression on me either. But I don't care, because it doesn't matter.
Old 2009-11-18, 00:42   #6
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

Not a good first impression. The way you present your argument is as important as the argument you make, and the way you're doing it is pretty terrible.

As far as the proposal itself: I personally don't feel it's necessary at all. Having anything visible without your sights up is unacceptable, but having something like the HAT kit's crosshairs while scoped in would be reasonable, and might make the game easier to get into.

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

Old 2009-11-18, 00:46   #7
Artnez
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integ3r View Post
Why in the world do I need 25 posts to post a simple suggestion?! You brought this upon yourself, I'm not going to spam 25 posts in order to make a simple thread! Nor am I going to spam 15 posts just to reply to a thread in the suggestion forum. I'M trying to HELP here. So my suggestion goes here instead.
This is done to prevent re-suggestions.

Quote:
Bullet deviation and accuracy simulation
As far as I understand it; it is currently not known how to make weapon sway work properly, so deviation from BF2 is used to simulate difficulty when aiming, right?
Correct.

Quote:
Realism argument:
In the real world, you would have fairly good idea of where you're aiming, and where the bullet will go. Maybe the iron sights are slightly off center and whatnot and it is this that determines if you choose to steady your aim further, or take the shot if it's good enough.
Currently, in PR, you have NO indication of your accuracy. All that is known, is that for X seconds you need to not move your aim in order to reach optimum accuracy. You don't really know the impact recoil has on your steadied aim either. Other than it resets it to somewhere around X as well as changing the camera position. This is not realistic, and it works counter intuitively.
In this particular case I believe micro-realism is being sacrificed for overall realism of battles. PR had releases in the past where rifles were dead-on accurate. It was a mess due to other constraints of the engine (ie: size of maps, playing the same maps over and over, etc). As the your thread introduction suggests, you appear to be thinking from your perspective alone. Try to see the big picture.

Quote:
Gameplay argument:
The current model forces players to do 2 things. Either, somehow check the game files for the amount of seconds needed for a weapon to reach a certain accuracy. Or, experiment with each weapon and note the average time it takes to get an accurate shot with each weapon. Or (the most popular one, is my guess) play, and try to get an intuitive understanding for each weapon (very time consuming, and leads to incompetent players messing up more than they should, and competent players getting screwed over for not having pointless pre-requisite knowledge about how long it takes to steady a weapon).
There is a guide that comes with the game, check page 12. Another reason for the post limit - you would know this if you browsed the forum more. In General Discussion, big red text at the top

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10...5-manuals.html

Quote:
For the balancers, the current model is counterproductive aswell. Since players have no real knowledge of how each weapon handles unless they take the time to experiment, exploits and imbalances are not found as quickly as they should, but are kept secret to those few who know, and they gain an unfair advantage for performing a pretty redundant and meaningless experiment. It's not a test of skill, but rather dedication. Is that your desire? If so, fine, but I disagree that it's something worth testing when it also frustrates even more.
It's not kept secret, you can ask on the forums and it's mentioned in the guide. It's not that complicated. Wait up to 5 seconds, fire. For everything else, jump into a training server and practice your aim.

Train.

Quote:
Proposed solution:
This will probably not be popular initially, but I think it's a good idea. Implement an accuracy indicator when aiming down the sights. Be it a bar giving you the rough idea, or crosshairs from BF2, or like the ones on the HAT kit. This solves a lot of problems and seems like a way better method of doing things.
Been there done that. The PR community and the devs prefer no indicators for many reasons you can find by searching the forum.

Quote:
Realism:
Sure it's not realistic, but neither is bullets magically going nowhere near the area you're pointing. It's furthermore not realistic to have NO indication what so ever of how accurate the shot will be. The deviation simulates sway, the crosshairs visually represent the sway. A REAL soldier would know how the weapon handles already. There's no point in the player having to train himself by learning this stuff.
You're just coming up with reasons now. A real soldier doesn't respawn. A real soldier carries packs on his back with various equipment he may need. A real soldier is trained in modern military tactics and strategy, while PR players are not. Real soldiers don't have 3D icons floating in front of their faces that point them to where the enemy is. Real soldiers, as human beings, naturally fear getting shot and their actions dictate this to some degree.

As I said above, try to see the big picture. Only 20% of this game is shooting the gun. While being able to measure accuracy may feel more realistic from one point of view (your own, ie: the person playing), the rest of the game suffers.

Quote:
Gameplay:
Sure, we might see initial imbalances appear as people learn to place shots with greater accuracy way more accurately. It'll also erase the severeness of a n00b with a sniper kit, or a LAT/RPG, as they will instantly know how to use it. But the previous solution WAS a cop-out. It'll also be EASIER to balance now that imbalances can be found.
It's not that hard -- I promise. Just keep practicing. There's nothing wrong with the PR vets knowing more than the new guys. It's actually pretty great.

In any case, this isn't the type of game you just dive into and start "pwning" outright. It doesn't work that way. Nearly every asset, weapon, etc needs to be learned and practiced on to be useful.
Old 2009-11-18, 00:54   #8
Artnez
Supporting Member

On a related note, you should know that this mod will always have a steep learning curve. If your frustration comes from the learning curve being steep, just get used to it and play.

As an example, I spent some time away from PR. I used to lead squad all of the time. Since I was gone, a lot of new changes were introduced to the game when it comes to leading squads. The whole squad leader role pretty much changed and it wasn't documented all too well. Instead of asking the devs to change the game, I joined some squads and took some notes on how the good squad leaders do it. I asked them questions.

Part of this game is the community and figuring out how things work. Learning the game is a big part of that -- and this is by far the friendliest game community that I know of when it comes to helping people. Hell I think some guys were doing training days to teach people how to play.
Old 2009-11-18, 01:29   #9
Integ3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artnez View Post
This is done to prevent re-suggestions.
In reality, this could have been a bump of one of those other threads. All I did was spare you 15 posts of spam and "hello I am new to these forums please welcome me I am a faggot etc. etc."

Quote:
In this particular case I believe micro-realism is being sacrificed for overall realism of battles. PR had releases in the past where rifles were dead-on accurate. It was a mess due to other constraints of the engine (ie: size of maps, playing the same maps over and over, etc). As the your thread introduction suggests, you appear to be thinking from your perspective alone. Try to see the big picture.
But this has nothing to do with it. I'm not requesting 100% accurate weapons. I'm requesting that there should be a way of knowing your probability to hit without pointlessly having to "train", or memorize the numbers for each weapon. (You mentioned a guide? I've never seen it, so admittedly, maybe I failed to do my homework here. Still this does not "justify" NOT having an indicator, which is just better anyway.)

Quote:
There is a guide that comes with the game, check page 12. Another reason for the post limit - you would know this if you browsed the forum more. In General Discussion, big red text at the top

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10...5-manuals.html
True, I've missed the guide. But checked the manual. The manual doesn't let you know anything particularly useful other than the "5 second rule". I'll take your word for it that weapon stats are in the guide. Granted, this lessens the problem, but indicators are still more practical and better. You kinda have to accept that not everyone will bother to check the guide.

Quote:
It's not kept secret, you can ask on the forums and it's mentioned in the guide. It's not that complicated. Wait up to 5 seconds, fire. For everything else, jump into a training server and practice your aim.
5 seconds is NOT universal. And not enough information.

Quote:
Train.
It's sorta part of the point that having to train for THIS is kinda stupid...

Quote:
Been there done that. The PR community and the devs prefer no indicators for many reasons you can find by searching the forum.
As I said. If it's not from a long time ago, it's vague... It's more about reluctance to change rather than the actual gameplay problems it pose.

Quote:
You're just coming up with reasons now. A real soldier doesn't respawn. A real soldier carries packs on his back with various equipment he may need. A real soldier is trained in modern military tactics and strategy, while PR players are not. Real soldiers don't have 3D icons floating in front of their faces that point them to where the enemy is. Real soldiers, as human beings, naturally fear getting shot and their actions dictate this to some degree.
Well JEEZE, excuse me for trying to present the argument in a format compatible with the philosophy of the mod and trying to abide by the restrictions that philosophy sets! I personally just care about the gameplay, but I'm certain there are many others who'll need justification. You're just taking cheap shots at me now.

Quote:
As I said above, try to see the big picture. Only 20% of this game is shooting the gun. While being able to measure accuracy may feel more realistic from one point of view (your own, ie: the person playing), the rest of the game suffers.
HIGHLY disagree! I can present multiple scenarios to the contrary!
I fail to see how the inherent tactical value of flanking, cover/suppressive fire, and the like is compromised in any way. Again, I'm not asking for 100% accurate guns. Just a way to gague accuracy.

Quote:
It's not that hard -- I promise. Just keep practicing. There's nothing wrong with the PR vets knowing more than the new guys. It's actually pretty great.
For the vets... I have played a great deal, and I do consider myself a decent PR player. For one, you can crouch, zoom in, then stand up without losing accuracy and fire. I wouldn't know that without playing for a while. I'm not just ranting because I can't hit anything, though I might give that impression. The point is, that even if I was, it's still irrelevant to what is a better system.

Quote:
In any case, this isn't the type of game you just dive into and start "pwning" outright. It doesn't work that way. Nearly every asset, weapon, etc needs to be learned and practiced on to be useful.
Well SHOULD it be that way? The heli is, as far as I know, not "hard" to fly because you want to bar players from it or FORCE them to train in order to fly it. It is that way because the heli is not supposed to do pretty insane things and it's about limiting the functionality of the heli. (though that doesn't stop me from upside down flying) It's there for a reason. The fact that it's "hard" and require practice is just collateral.
Not so with the way guns work.
Last edited by Integ3r; 2009-11-18 at 01:40..
Old 2009-11-18, 01:52   #10
Hunt3r

Quote:
On a related note, you should know that this mod will always have a steep learning curve. If your frustration comes from the learning curve being steep, just get used to it and play.

As an example, I spent some time away from PR. I used to lead squad all of the time. Since I was gone, a lot of new changes were introduced to the game when it comes to leading squads. The whole squad leader role pretty much changed and it wasn't documented all too well. Instead of asking the devs to change the game, I joined some squads and took some notes on how the good squad leaders do it. I asked them questions.

Part of this game is the community and figuring out how things work. Learning the game is a big part of that -- and this is by far the friendliest game community that I know of when it comes to helping people. Hell I think some guys were doing training days to teach people how to play.
But you can't deny that it would be nice for everyone to be able to know when they should start shooting. Soldiers know when they have a good shot, why do we have to settle with just guessing?
Closed Thread

Tags
accuracy, indication, reimplement