project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Falklands General Discussion
25 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:Falklands General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality Falklands modification.

Old 2016-03-25, 11:39   #1
_MB_
Default Player dnesity on 8km x 8km map

Hello,

If I understand correctly the Falkland map is going to be 8 times 8 km. Using basic maths it means that the area will be 4 times bigger than the current biggest map layers (4x4). I would like to ask, if you are not afraid that the map will be a little bit empty.

Example: Let's imagine there is a normal PR server with 100 population max. There are normal maps going on and everybody is happy with that 100 people on each map. But then the Falkland map comes in. It is improbable, that the admins will turn the server down, adjust max player number and turn the server on again (nevermind the fact that 100 is probably the total maximum naumber of players given by PR itself). So it will presumably carry on with 100 players on the new map. You could say: but some part of the map is going to be the sea where not so many people want to go. Ok, lets say effectively the land area is 4x8 km. Still it will behave effectively the same as if you had 50 people on 4x4 km map (which I am sure anyone would consider quite poor populated).

I hope you got my point by now. I thought about this thing and the only solution I could think of was to make special server dedicated to this map coded so it could support 100v100 players. Otherwise I am afraid that the players will feel a little bit lonely on this map.

Have a nice day,

_MB_
Old 2016-03-25, 12:20   #2
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Player dnesity on 8km x 8km map

Hey,

Technically if you include the area from the British Carrier, to Argentina, the map is in fact 16km x 16km

Just the main islands and where the minimap is is 8km x 8km:

All this space however is really for the air and naval combat side, giving much more flying time to and from airbases, and overall better air combat over much larger areas, with larger view distances.

However the Ground Combat is focused into a small 3km by 2km area on the North East Islands, where it was in r/l (although in r/l, the scale was much, much larger than it is ingame) and as such, ground combat isn't all that different from normal 4km maps, other than you do need to do a lot more walking since there are very few transport vehicles (as per the real war). This plan shows the entire area, the 8km by 8km islands minimap area, and another 4km area around the ground combat zone, with the old Kashans minimap under it for scale

So ye, the ground combat is still all focused into one main area for good player density, but with also the plus side of the aircraft having much more room to fly around in

Some videos on youtube too of the old versions to see what the ground combat is like, as well as the air combat

Old 2016-03-25, 12:32   #3
_MB_

Thank you for reply, now the only thing left for me is to learn to fly jets =) (failed there quite hard up to now as well as with chopers )

Looking forward to Falklands,

MB
Old 2016-03-25, 14:07   #4
xantis

16km x 16km

Wow. Just wow. My brain just boiled.
Last edited by xantis; 2016-03-25 at 14:29..
Old 2016-03-31, 04:32   #5
Valmont

That increased viewdistance is really important for Jet fights and sinking those ships... thanks Rinho, this is probably the only game to ever feature this amazing yet short war!
Old 2016-04-07, 09:02   #6
anantdeathhawk

Amazing
Old 2016-04-07, 18:10   #7
WhatTheHell
Banned

What the hell

What
The
Heck?!
16x16 km map?!!!

I thought the maximum allowed by the Bf2 engine was 4km map
Last edited by WhatTheHell; 2016-04-07 at 18:48..
Old 2016-04-07, 18:45   #8
anantdeathhawk

quick question! for [R-DEV] Rhino
Were you able to make a 16x16 km map because there are very little elements on the map(just an assumption,i don't know anything about it) and as most of it is water?
or is it something you discovered about the engine that allowed you to make such a big map?
Old 2016-04-07, 21:22   #9
Ivancic1941

Hey 16x16!!!!!???????
How?? Please answer!
And you said "much more view distance"? In PR view distance is always around its maximum 1000m- or you managed to make it more???

P.S. Rihno needs new banner - MASTER OF BF2 ENGINE or SIR RIHNO OF BF2ENGINE. You have over 40 000 posts and about 39 000 about bf2 editor! I cant believe that there is someone who knows bf2 engine better than DICE developers! Mapping,coding,animating,voices,statics,vehliches, weapons,armyies! Over 40 tutorials!
W H A T?
Old 2016-04-07, 21:46   #10
Ivancic1941

I also think that PR comunity should collect money and pay Rhino trip to...lets say Somerset in UK. Really beautifull region,lot if turists,etc.,perfect for this purpose. That would be THANKS from PR comunity for everything he made for us.

What do you say Rhino?

Tags
8km, dnesity, map, player