project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2014-02-07, 19:33   #1
Brisk187
Supporting Member
Default Defense - How do you counter snipers?

When setting up a defense, defending against armor, CAS, and infantry squads is a relative no-brainer. However, what should a defense squad do to defend against a sniper? Is it recommended to keep a sniper in a defense squad to take care of opposing snipers?
Brisk187 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 20:25   #2
heldro
Default Re: Defense - How do you counter snipers?

Search for the enemy sniper, when found smoke up and revive whoever was killed by the sniper. Then start supressing him or call for apc/tank/cas support.
heldro is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 20:32   #3
boberczus

From my experience, first thing you do is smoke the hell out of a place. Then you try to find out a proximity location of sniper. When you know, it you call his location to all the other sqauds (preferably CAS if available). There should by at least one squad in position to take him down. If it's not the case, you either dig in and wait for other squads to get rid of danger or you keep moving and trying to avoid open areas.

What I did once as SL of 5 men squad suppresed by sniper, was that I ordered to keep moving but i left my AR. We drew snipers fire and my AR took him down.

Hope it's helpful
Bob
boberczus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 21:27   #4
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

A squad suppressing a sniper is effective as long as he is your only contact, otherwise it's best to use mortars/armour/CAS to destroy the sniper.

The important thing is to ensure everyone knows the sniper's location in your squad so they can hide themselves and also to highlight that position to the team so that they can protect themselves or use appropriate weapons to destroy the sniper.

Smoking your own location imo is not recommended unless you have no cover, all you have done is removed your ability to observe your environment.

A sniper working with another element from a slightly different angle is always effective for both offence and defence, having a sniper support you is always a good thing; but there are many ways to skin a sniper.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 21:43   #5
Delfer

You'd also have to consider whether it is really a 'sniper' or just a skilled player with a scope killing everyone like a champ. If you can hear where the shots are coming from I'd recommend sending your best player or yourself to go kill him personally.
Delfer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 16:41   #6
Truism

Just send someone out to patrol. Given you're defending, you have emplacements. As long as no one is outside the emplacements, he can't get the "double kill" to make someone "dead dead".

You should be able to identify where the shooting is coming from within an accuracy of 30-90 degrees. If you can't do that, either your defensive position is terribly sited, it's a really (REALLY!) good sniper or you have a learning disability.

Once you know the direction, a good sniper will still be invisible, but by sending a single person out to patrol he'll be able to readily identify the location based on the report of the gunshots. When I snipe, this is basically the only way I get found and die (apart from very suspect situations where someone "randomly" stumbles across me, which happens all too often).

So basically, in order:

1. Site your defensive position properly so that even if you are exposed to long range sniper fire, you have a good idea where it has to be coming from.
2. Limit the damage the sniper can do by ensuring anyone not crewing an emplacement is behind at least knee high cover so they can be revived without risk of being properly killed or endangering the medic.
3. Send an individual out on a moving listening patrol. He will be able to readily locate the sniper from the sound of his fire. Once he is located, you have numerous options to kill him if the lone patrolman fails. Basically, every single weapon you have is more effective than the sniper's. At the very worst, you can suppress the almighty crap out of him with massed rifle fire (which has a decent chance of killing), at best a TOW or MG emplacement is basically a more powerful, accurate and faster firing version of what he has without as powerful a scope - if you know where he is he has no advantage over you.

For the record, I feed off defensive positions. As a sniper, if I find an emplacement farm, I will set up in a well hidden position, a very long way away, and usually net over 20 knock downs (mostly revived ofc) and deny the use of the emplacements. The sniper's two greatest weaknesses are that he can't hit moving targets and that his weapon is really impotent when it boils down to a straight up fight. Finding someone who has willingly forfeited their initiative altogether to sit in once place pretty much completely negates my weaknesses as long as I can stay hidden. It's hunting season.
Truism is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 16:41   #7
Truism

Double post, please delete at your convenience.
Truism is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 17:51   #8
GlaDi

It always works
GlaDi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 18:27   #9
Careless

Listen where the shots come from
Smoke up the sniper, force him to move or to reveal himself
Careless is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 13:26   #10
Mongolian_dude
Retired Moderator

If you have a grenadier, there target the surrounding vantage points and:

Military lawyers engaged in fierce legal action.
Mongolian_dude is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
counter, defense, snipers