project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2014-02-10, 15:34   #1
StevePl4y5
Default Concept Discussion - Rescue/MedEvac Squad

I would like to propose a discussion concerning a type of Squad, this would be a Concept Squad, named Rescue or MedEvac or something similar. How it would apply to different game modes, factions. How good of a concept is it. How it could work theoretically and in practice.

Let's look at a 8 man squad: each time one players is killed the team loses one ticket, if a whole Squad is wiped out the team loses 8 tickets, which may not sound like all that much, but more experienced players know the difference 1 ticket can make in the outcome of the round. Usually, when half of a Squad is wounded, the other half tries to get them back up, which might or not work; if it doesn't work, the whole Squad will be forced to give up and spawn if there are no friendlies in the area, and even then, Squad Leaders usually choose to spawn anyaways. This will result in that 8 ticket loss.

The solution for this could be to have a Rescue Squad on the team, which would only have one objective in the entire round: get entire friendly squads back in action without ticket loss.

But how would they operate? Well, first off, it's important to say that the players consisting on this Squad would have to be highly experienced, because a failed rescue could mean the loss of the Rescue Squad, resulting in a possible 16 ticket loss. In terms of kits, the Squad would carry regular infantry kits, being mandatory to have 2 medics, choosing other kits depending on different situations. Since it only takes 5 minutes to be "dead-dead" after being critically wounded, the Rescue Squad would have to be a Fast Response Squad , making it mandatory to have fast moving vehicles assigned to it or to have excelent coordination with transport squads.

When arriving to the Rescue Area, the medics would have to get the friendly squad up, while the others cover, they would do this by reviving the medics first, so they could help with the process. In a hot zone, some patients would have to go untreated on the ground, but thanks to the feature of being able to heal inside vehicles, those patients would be treated in the safety of a vehicle, until the whole squad was able to get back in action. To prevent the Squad from being "dead-dead" shortly after being reinserted, the Rescue Squad should have them in custody until 5 minutes have passed.

So that is my take on this subject. I now leave you to discuss my view on this, and to make your own suggestions and opinions concerning the subject.
StevePl4y5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 15:52   #2
[R-MOD]Nate.
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Default Re: Concept Discussion - Rescue/MedEvac Squad

8 man wounded = 8 tickets lost.
8 man dead-dead = 8 more tickets lost.

You always lose a ticket, one for getting wounded, another one for getting dead-dead.

I think a dedicated Med-Evac Squad would not really work. Squads working and supporting each other on the frontline gives a higher chance of survivability than a dedicated squad moving in when everyone is down. (Chances are, they get fucked aswell :P )

Nate. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 16:07   #3
ElshanF

I prefer the idea of a QRF type squad which reacts instantly as a important target/urgent support is required.
ElshanF is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 16:09   #4
StevePl4y5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate(GER) View Post
8 man wounded = 8 tickets lost.
8 man dead-dead = 8 more tickets lost.

You always lose a ticket, one for getting wounded, another one for getting dead-dead.

I think a dedicated Med-Evac Squad would not really work. Squads working and supporting each other on the frontline gives a higher chance of survivability than a dedicated squad moving in when everyone is down. (Chances are, they get fucked aswell :P )
I actually didn't know you lose a ticket when you're wounded, never noticed. Well, learning everyday.
Old 2014-02-10, 16:48   #5
[R-DEV]​UTurista
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

A 8 men rescue squad is just a waste, might as well be a normal infantry squad.~

But with a proper trans squad (at least 2 choppers) we could have a medic has a door gunner in each one, and in situations like these both choppers would land and drop the medics.

Of course this would not work due to body camping, resulting on the loss of 4 more tickets.

Dont question the wikipedia! Just because it reports different things on different languages does not make it unreliable source!
UTurista is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 14:20   #6
StevePl4y5

Taking into account what all of you guys said, it seems the main problem of such a Squad would be the high probability of failure, which would result in extra ticket loss. And also that such a Squad would be less efficient in its role than any other infantry Squad.
Well, considering these are both practical issues, and not theoretical, it seems the only real way of finding out if this concept would work ingame is to actually try it.
I'll try to test this concept in a more casual co-op server, where the result of failure will not be so serious to the players involved.
Old 2014-02-11, 14:38   #7
Mongolian_dude
Retired Moderator

This actually worked exceptionally well on a round of Ramiel AAS/Control & Secure, where I as the LB trans SL had one of my pilots go medic when trans requests were quiet. Small target, highly manoeuvrable.
Managed to save around 4 full squads and was shot down once (worth it in ticket terms) and was very fun.

I spent almost the entire round yelling this:

...mongol...

Military lawyers engaged in fierce legal action.
Mongolian_dude is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 15:40   #8
boberczus

It might work with light helicopters like LB or maybe even Huey, but i doubt it will with any of those big cows like the Mi-8.
boberczus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 15:45   #9
Arc_Shielder
Retired PR Developer

I think it wouldn't work very well. You need to incentive players to take a different kind of treatment than normal.

I am mindlessly throwing this out there, but what about ticket gain?

Everytime a soldier gets healed in a specific vehicle the team gains 1 ticket, therefore neutralizing the 1 ticket loss penalty that he caused by getting himself wounded. Problem is, other than events I wouldn't see this idea or any other work out well when the squad medic can get anyone up in no time.

Arc_Shielder is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 13:30   #10
_Fizzco_

Game is to fast, by the time you arrive to revive them the enemy squad is on top of them. Just won't work with PR
_Fizzco_ is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
concept, discussion, rescue or medevac, squad