project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2015-11-16, 13:42   #1
MultiSquid
Angry Reaction to sniper fire

This has been on my mind for a while.

Usually when my squad comes under sniper fire, the reaction of most people is to immediately forget everything and start scanning for the shooter. I find this extremely infuriating, as it often leads to more people getting shot. The only thing you need to do is put a solid cover between you and the sniper and be on your way. I cannot believe how many times squad leaders halt their full squads and remain static for extended periods of time just because someone took a pot shot at them.

First of all, I think we can all agree that the majority of present sniper players are noobs who don't cooperate with their team in any way and are just out to get some k/d. Even an experienced sniper will not be able to do much harm to a full squad, not unless the squad actually allows him to do so by staying in the same position and poking their heads out to get blown off. Looking for the sniper is nonsense (unless he is fairly close), the sniper already knows where you are and you're just giving him opportunities to shoot more of your teammates. First guy in a squad who gets shot should get revived, the second guy who gets shot should get kicked from the squad for wasting tickets.

The sensible thing to do in my opinion is to immediately find out where the fire is coming from and get into cover (this is made simple by the fact that you can usually hear the gunshot). If anyone's been hit, get a few smokes out and pick him up. Afterwards the squad should simply continue to their previous objective while staying in cover from the suspected sniper position. The squad is on the move and the whole encounter cost you a little delay and 1 ticket. Win.

The only situation when sniper actually poses a threat is when your squad gets engaged while holding a defensive position. Even in this case you have plenty of options, send out a 1-2 man patrol to take him out, request support from another squad (there is almost always a squad in position to flank the sniper or an armored asset with superior optics and thermals) or simply smoke up the TOW and blow him sky high.

[tldr]: A sniper cannot hurt you unless you let him.
Last edited by MultiSquid; 2015-11-16 at 15:16..
Old 2015-11-17, 20:53   #2
Lost_Tactics
Default Re: Reaction to sniper fire

This is way too true, especially the last section.
Lost_Tactics is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-26, 07:36   #3
Cavazos

As you say, most of the time your squad stops when under sniper fire and usually loses even more men. I would say that noob sniper is helping his team quite a bit in that situation.

Most squad leaders will do what you hate them doing when that happens. All you can do is tell the SL more guys will probably die if you wait and hope he decides to move out, or you just SL more yourself.
Cavazos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 15:38   #4
KingKong.CCCP

yes, snipers are basically a joke in PR. Actually the only benefit from snipers is that they draw focus from the new guys on enemy team, and they can stop efficient squad communication on enemy side.

After playing PR for so long, it changed my opinion on real life snipers.
"Ah, you are a sniper... how old are you, 12?"
KingKong.CCCP is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 16:14   #5
Jacksonez__

Only good use for snipers, as you said is to annoy the placement asset users and getting kills from them. I'd take marksman or LMG over sniper kit anytime.

PR sniper kit seems to exist just to be a noob-trap.
Jacksonez__ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 19:47   #6
Brozef

Git gud son.
Brozef is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-09, 07:26   #7
QuickLoad

it's down to execution of squad leader - whether they keep the squad moving, be a still target, or move for cover.

if it's some random pot shot I usually will keep moving assuming my objective is a good 400+ meters out, no use in wasting time on some guy who can't shoot for shit

edit: and recon/sniper squads should be recon first, in my opinion they should only engage when they're absolutely needed(like a priority target such as HAT, or when the infantry garrison of an objective got wiped out)

though usually it's some guy by himself in the desert shooting people, which is also ok granted they get a good number of kills which will inflict a decent ticket bleed(one that matters, like 20+)
QuickLoad is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-10, 09:17   #8
Lugi

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLoad View Post
edit: and recon/sniper squads should be recon first, in my opinion they should only engage when they're absolutely needed(like a priority target such as HAT, or when the infantry garrison of an objective got wiped out)
Theres just too few players for that.
Lugi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-11, 08:29   #9
QuickLoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugi View Post
Theres just too few players for that.
yep, exactly why there SHOULDN'T be any sniper teams aside from niche operations
QuickLoad is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-22, 06:43   #10
RoWang

My dudes, try to ID the shooter’s position, then return fire. Shoot on the move, find HARD cover.
RoWang is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, reaction, sniper