project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2011-04-07, 22:39   #1
Cavazos
Default Suppressive Fire as of .95, does it work?

What is your opinion on the effectiveness of using "suppressive fire"? This is mostly aimed at infantry suppression with an LMG and M16, but suppression can come from HMGs mounted on a vehicle or from tanks.

Is it only effective when vehicles use it?

If there are two infantry moving together, should one attempt to suppress a target at 25m while the other takes aim? What about 100m?

In my opinion, if there is a full squad of 6 troops with M16s and a M249, I think you need 4 members firing to effectively suppress an enemy at least while two assault and flank.
Cavazos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 22:43   #2
goguapsy
Default Re: Suppressive Fire as of .95, does it work?

I am a defender of bigger and meaner suppression effects. They are annoying SOMETIMES... But I feel it is not effective, almost at all. I would suggest that suppression effects affected a larger area, with, say, a big distance having some blur, a medium distance having the current suppression effect, and a close distance an overwhelming, black and red, bleed noise effects, to REALLY distract the player and prevent him from returning fire (close suppressive fire = black + wound effects (sound + blood) = don't know if you were hit, gotta withdraw to safer position).
goguapsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 08:55   #3
L4gi
Server Administrator (A-N)

Afaik suppression only works when the rounds are fired from further than 60 or 70 meters from the target. At distances below that, you should be able to kill the guy anyway. :P
L4gi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 09:04   #4
dtacs
Supporting Member

The concept of 'suppression' in PR is irrelevant as there is no fear of death, people disregard themselves by running around corners spraying hoping to get a kill, disbarring realism totally as they know they will be able to do the same thing within minutes. This is in addition to the absolute spontaneity and randomness which plagues infantry engagements.

This translates to snipers often popping up to take a shot even though they could have the whole team firing at them, it makes little difference. I find myself popping up to shoot even if a tank is facing me, and I see others do the same in a role-reversal.

As for the physical suppression effect itself, its as good as its going to get. Until the developers find a way to make players be more content and actually reserve themselves instead of popping out into a hail of bullets we are going to continue to see people do stupid things in order to get kills.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 09:16   #5
Nebsif
Supporting Member

^ Medic kit, as much as it is the core of PR makes squads disregard their lives too..
But uhm ye, ive learned that (mostly from l4gi :P) the less ur afraid to die the more u'll pwn.. be it rushing straight into an enem sq through grenade spam or firing back at inf supported by APC/tank as long as u have "good" cover.
When ppl start suppressive fire on me I see it more of a sign of fear so I just fire back.

Nebsif is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 09:46   #6
Web_cole
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiHeat87 View Post
In my opinion, if there is a full squad of 6 troops with M16s and a M249, I think you need 4 members firing to effectively suppress an enemy at least while two assault and flank.
If you really want to do the whole "support fireteam" + "assault fireteam" thing, then tbh all you really need to suppress (= kill shit) with is the SAW. Maybe leave 1 guy to watch his back or a DM for increased accurate fire, but I would say you certainly want more than 2 people in your assault section.

Web_cole is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 12:19   #7
L4gi
Server Administrator (A-N)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebsif View Post
the less ur afraid to die the more u'll pwn
Most people doubt their own skills more than they should. Too many players are afraid to take any kind of risks. By using common sense, you can come to the conclusion that doing something will result in a better outcome than not doing anything.

Example:

You sit behind a wall, your squad is close, but cant support you. You know theres a few enemies on the other side. They know you're there. If you dont do anything, they will either frag you or rush you, both resulting in you getting shot. If you take the initiative, throw a frag/incendiary, assault them or whatever, there is a chance that you will take them out, and there is a chance you will take em out.

Option 2 sounds a lot better than just getting shot. Even if you do get shot, you most likely killed atleast 1 enemy, which causes them to slow down and start the process of reviving. By this time your squad is there, they can move in, shoot everyone and revive you.(Or you killed the enemies already )

People in defensive positions will ALWAYS, and I mean always killed/overrun/whatever. Might take some time, but eventually they will die. There is no 100% unbeatable defensive position. The best defence is killin the shit out of the enemy while they stack up on a corner thinking about who is watching which angle and who is going to throw their grenade. In the end, the game is about speed and being confident in yourself. The more time you waste in setting up fireteams, supporting elements and stuff like that, the more time it gives me to shoot you in the face.

A bit offtopic and perhaps a wall of text, but I know what im talking about.
L4gi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 12:30   #8
MaxBooZe

All the shots you take should be aimed to kill. The suppression effect is a nice bonus.
MaxBooZe is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 14:01   #9
Arc_Shielder
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4gi View Post
People in defensive positions will ALWAYS, and I mean always killed/overrun/whatever.
I was about to post how collectively that isn't the case, but then you posted an individualistic scenario and I have to go along with you.

Many times I just hide and shoot the enemy in the face and then burst in. Other times hoping that they think I ran away and ambush them a few minutes later. Even hide and seek can be incredibly funny and effective, especially if you have the medic role. Don't necessarily have to be suicidal though...unless when you're heavily bleeding. By then you can say "screw it" and charge the over-prepared assaulting enemy team.

Important thing is never to stay still if you're alone and sighted. And this works too if you're running mortars, repelled as an offensive squad, hunting armor, sniping, etc. Never stay in the same place if your enemy sighted you, just use common sense and change your strategy.

As for supressive fire is fine the way it is. The only times I ever feel slightly intimidated is through AR or armor fire. Sometimes when I see mortar rounds on a certain objective or cache between the team's frontline and the enemy, I just run through them and take a few enemies out. It's all about anticipating the enemy and there's nothing arrogant and presumptuous about these claims...most this stuff is just common sense. Like L4gi very well stated, anyone can overcome the typical gaming reactions.
Last edited by [R-COM]Arc_Shielder; 2011-04-08 at 14:09..
Old 2011-04-08, 14:02   #10
TheComedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4gi View Post
In the end, the game is about speed and being confident in yourself.
I thought this was Project Reality and not Modern Warfare:P
TheComedian is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, suppressive, work