project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2021-07-01, 05:03   #1
Trekkie
Default my hdd died... how about this other computer?

So I'm thinking of buying this thing because my hard drive died, I was running windows 7 and needed an upgrade anyway, I been playing on a lenovo thinkstation e20 this whole time so I know anything's an upgrade compared to that, but what about this thing:

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720t
Operating System: Windows 10 Home
Processor: Intel Core i5-8400 @ 2.80 Gz
Memory: 8GB DDR4 @ 2667 MHz
Hard Drive: 250 GB SSD

...and what graphics card do I put in it that will actually work with this PC but will run PR alright? The one I been using chokes on smoke... like when someone pops a smoke grenade my frames drop like crazy.

Thanks and hope to see y'all again real soon, your buddy Tr3kker
Trekkie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-01, 12:05   #2
Coalz101
Default Re: my hdd died... how about this other computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
So I'm thinking of buying this thing because my hard drive died, I was running windows 7 and needed an upgrade anyway, I been playing on a lenovo thinkstation e20 this whole time so I know anything's an upgrade compared to that, but what about this thing:

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720t
Operating System: Windows 10 Home
Processor: Intel Core i5-8400 @ 2.80 Gz
Memory: 8GB DDR4 @ 2667 MHz
Hard Drive: 250 GB SSD

...and what graphics card do I put in it that will actually work with this PC but will run PR alright? The one I been using chokes on smoke... like when someone pops a smoke grenade my frames drop like crazy.

Thanks and hope to see y'all again real soon, your buddy Tr3kker
PR is a very CPU intensive game and provided that you install it on the SSD there is no need to worry about GPU too much. However a 1080 or 1660 if possible should be fine since they are pretty common (And doesn't cost an arm and a leg) right now, and it stills good on run most games (besides newer titles).

Although I run the game pretty okay on a 7 year old laptop with 16GB DDR3; an I5 4210M and a 860M. Keep in mind I do have overheating problems. The laptop constantly runs at around 80-98 degrees Celsius when playing games. So you should be fine with anything better than these specs.

(The Stock fan managed to break from a fall and I replaced it with one from another laptop, the fan does have power issues I don't know how to fix though [It runs for about 5 seconds turns off for 2 then starts back running for another 5 seconds])
Coalz101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-02, 22:52   #3
Trekkie

One thing I don't want is to have to add more fans or power supply type stuff to this PC if I do add a video card to it... do these kinds of computers come with enough fans to handle upgrades like this? Also considering refurbed gaming PCs with graphics cards already installed, through WalMart or BestBuy, supplied by these third party refurbishers, not sure how confident I am in that route...
Old 2021-07-03, 01:13   #4
Coalz101

If you're going to add a GPU in it you'll definitely need a power supply upgrade. I've heard about external GPU's but I lack the knowledge to really speak about those. I can tell you that they cost too much and you're better off shelling out a few more hundreds on a better PC that will be more future proof. Maybe this?
HP Pavilion
Old 2021-07-03, 20:52   #5
Trekkie

I'm looking at this too: Acer Nitro N50-600-EB1B (Refurbished) Gaming Desktop, Intel Core i5-9400F Hexa Core 2.90GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD - W10, Black

What do you think, is this a relatively modern computer that would run PR well? And maybe Squad too? In case Squad becomes good at some point lol?
Old 2021-07-04, 23:28   #6
Coalz101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
I'm looking at this too: Acer Nitro N50-600-EB1B (Refurbished) Gaming Desktop, Intel Core i5-9400F Hexa Core 2.90GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD - W10, Black
Yeah should be fine. If I were you I would invest in an SSD whether it be now or later down the road. It will run applications much faster than an HDD but its not a high priority if you're not going to be running newer titles..
Old 2021-07-13, 05:03   #7
Trekkie

Yeah I got it and it's playing PR fine, but it's playing Squad pretty badly. And Squad sucks but if PR does finally die then I'll want to switch to it. So I'm looking at getting my old PC working again which plays PR alright, and then doing a custom build for PR that I can upgrade down the road to take me into the future.