project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Falklands General Discussion > PR:F Suggestions
16 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:F Suggestions Suggestions from our community members.

Old 2021-10-30, 19:57   #1
axytho
Supporting Member
Default Re-add zoom to stationary machine guns

Not sure whether this is intentional or not, but stationary machine guns have never had zoom on the Falklands, which kind of makes the 50 cals completely useless.
axytho is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-31, 11:25   #2
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Re-add zoom to stationary machine guns

The reason HMGs have zoom normally in PR is that it is pretty common nowadays for modern militaries to have scopes on them and the plan was to eventually add scope models to them too but that never happened.

The zoom was removed from Falklands, Vietnam etc MGs as scopes were not used on them back then. Since very few weapons have scopes in these theatres too they may become too powerful with zoom as well, on top of their firepower, ammo and cover advantages.

I know the Falklands is quite an odd map to have such a long view distance with mostly iron-sighted weapons but my main aim is to re-create the battlefield of that 1982 conflict. But if enough people think it would really help we might consider it.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-01, 09:42   #3
axytho
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
The reason HMGs have zoom normally in PR is that it is pretty common nowadays for modern militaries to have scopes on them and the plan was to eventually add scope models to them too but that never happened.

The zoom was removed from Falklands, Vietnam etc MGs as scopes were not used on them back then. Since very few weapons have scopes in these theatres too they may become too powerful with zoom as well, on top of their firepower, ammo and cover advantages.

I know the Falklands is quite an odd map to have such a long view distance with mostly iron-sighted weapons but my main aim is to re-create the battlefield of that 1982 conflict. But if enough people think it would really help we might consider it.
Ok, but then you should really remove the sniper and marksman rifles from Falklands. (Even if they were present IRL).

Because right now even Filamu's inf squad ends up with 2 snipers and 1 marksman by the end of the game (this is not an exaggeration, actual game).

This destroys "long-range ironsights" because no sane person is going to prone and take time for his shots.
Old 2021-11-01, 10:47   #4
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I agree that sniper and marksman kits are a little OP on the Falklands, but that is more to do with the high view distances, open terrain and lack of cover more than anything else as they have less powerful scopes than modern sniper rifles. The British L42A1 Sniper for example only has a 3.5x Scope. The Marksman rifles only have 4x scopes, which is the zoom level of a standard scoped assault rifle scope in PR such as the ACOG, where snipes in normal PR have much more powerful scopes with 10x zoom levels etc.

The Argentine Sniper with the SSGP1 is a bit of a problem with its a 6x Scope. I do hope in time we might be able to replace the SSGP1 with something less powerful for the Argentines as that was only used by the Argentine Special Forces Snipers during the war and wasn't that common, although it only has a 5 round magazine to the L42A1s 10, but still nothing like enough to really offset the power of its scope.

Old 2021-11-01, 22:17   #5
axytho
Supporting Member

I didn't know about the zoom difference. Still, the advantage of having a bipod + increased damage from sniper 7.62 >> semi auto 7.62 ironsights >>>> 9 mm recoil with obscuring ironsights so it's always blindfire after the first shot.

This is why I'd like to see the machine guns with zoom. They give "spawn kit squads" a way of racking up kills in a realistic manner which requires:

- teamwork on your side (both for digging and for spotting),

- a LACK of teamwork on the other side (by failing to mark the HMG on the map and by failing to coordinate with mortars/CAS once the hmg is spotted).
Old 2021-11-02, 11:26   #6
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I see your point, might be worth adding some zoom to them again, maybe not as much as modern HMGs, will look into it more closely to the next PR:F update.

Old 2021-11-02, 13:32   #7
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Just to add to this, we are thinking about extending the iron sight focus feature to iron sight mounted and deployable weapons. That should help make those more useable and potentially might even replace the artificial zoom of modern HMGs (until someone models scopes).
We are also working on other changes that will make 50cal more relevant compared to smaller calibres on long ranges

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-02, 17:37   #8
axytho
Supporting Member

Thanks! As long as the zoom is generous enough, either the "shift-zoom" or the "C-zoom" should make the Falklands map experience more fun for people not in an asset squad. (Which means it will get voted more )
Old 2021-11-02, 20:00   #9
Coalz101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
Just to add to this, we are thinking about extending the iron sight focus feature to iron sight mounted and deployable weapons. That should help make those more useable and potentially might even replace the artificial zoom of modern HMGs (until someone models scopes).
We are also working on other changes that will make 50cal more relevant compared to smaller calibres on long ranges
What about the Stationary GMG that was teased in a devblog?

Which factions are likely to get them and how will they be implemented?
Coalz101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-03, 15:03   #10
[R-COM]ismaelassassin
Chilean Forces 1978 Faction Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
The Argentine Sniper with the SSGP1 is a bit of a problem with its a 6x Scope. I do hope in time we might be able to replace the SSGP1 with something less powerful for the Argentines as that was only used by the Argentine Special Forces Snipers during the war
What about replacing it with the scoped Kar98? The Argies used the Mauser 1909 with a scope as a sniper rifle, the Kar98 is pretty close to that one
ismaelassassin is offline Reply With Quote