project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
14 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2021-12-22, 08:38   #1
dcm
Default Is the AKM more accurate than the AK74?

After playing bamyan today and taking pot shots at americans at 100-200m away. I noticed that I hit more often with the akm than the ak74. I dont think it's damage related. The scoped ak74 sucks real bad too. Last time on grozny when I was using the ak74 with the svd or rpg7 optics, I wasn't hitting shit. When I killed an enemy spotter and picked up the scoped russian ak74m, I was hitting my targets much more consistently. And tbh I really hate that reticle.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-22, 17:45   #2
[R-CON]​Frontliner
PR:BF2 Contributor
Default Re: Is the AKM more accurate than the AK74?

The weapon tweak files are not encrypted, just like nothing else is. For the insurgent AKM the deviation is set according to this line:
include ../../common/deviation.con "assaultrifle" "standard"
AK74 w/ PGO scope is set according to this one:
AK74M w/ optic uses:

Literally all the same.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-22, 18:51   #3
dcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontliner View Post
The weapon tweak files are not encrypted, just like nothing else is. For the insurgent AKM the deviation is set according to this line:
AK74M w/ optic uses:

Literally all the same.
I'm technologically inept. I cant understand your weird programming languages and nerd speak. I rather spend my time with women than computers.
Old 2021-12-22, 19:20   #4
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
I'm technologically inept. I cant understand your weird programming languages and nerd speak. I rather spend my time with women than computers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontliner View Post
AK74M w/ optic uses:

Literally all the same.
Frontliner's point is that all three rifles use the same accuracy setting, so to address the title of the thread, the AKM isn't more accurate than AK74.

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-22, 21:59   #5
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
I cant understand your weird programming languages and nerd speak. I rather spend my time with women than computers.
I got this, I speak his language:

The one on the left may seem slightly different than the one on the right due to variations in bilateral symmetry, but they are both in fact the same thing and functionally identical despite any physical or cosmetic differences. Whatever you do with one will be equally satisfactory in end results just the same as whatever you do with the other one, and good times will be had by all regardless of which one you choose to handle.

While you may not like the look of one versus another when you put your eye up to them, perhaps not a fan of synthetics vs natural construction materials or whatever, at the end of the day when the lights are off none are better or worse than the other - it just comes down to personal preference, or perhaps what is available that night.

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-22, 23:13   #6
dcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawz7 View Post
Frontliner's point is that all three rifles use the same accuracy setting, so to address the title of the thread, the AKM isn't more accurate than AK74.
So it's all placebo effect? There is no discernible difference in mechanical accuracy between the different rifles? For example the M4 and M16A4. Even though I perform better using the latter than the former? How about muzzle velocity is there a difference there? I know that recoil and damage are most definitely different.
Old 2021-12-23, 13:59   #7
[R-CON]​Chuva_RD
PR:BF2 Contributor
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
So it's all placebo effect? There is no discernible difference in mechanical accuracy between the different rifles? For example the M4 and M16A4. Even though I perform better using the latter than the former? How about muzzle velocity is there a difference there? I know that recoil and damage are most definitely different.
Muzzle velocities, recoil and damage differ, as well as optics magnification. You think that you miss more with SVD scope because it has 2x more magnification than 1P78, and bullet deviation is twice as noticeable. Idk how you got to "not damage related" bc you estimate your accuracy from shots fired to kill, and some guns require +-1 shot to kill compared to others.
Last edited by Chuva_RD; 2021-12-23 at 14:04..
Old 2021-12-23, 18:20   #8
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
So it's all placebo effect? There is no discernible difference in mechanical accuracy between the different rifles? For example the M4 and M16A4. Even though I perform better using the latter than the former?
It's a placebo effect when it relates to weapons with identical deviation such as the AKM and AK74 you asked about. M4 and M16A4 are certainly not identical. That being said, trusting your human eyes in organic situations is not the best way to do science since you're building incorrect assumptions. Never mattered much to me, but if you want details:

M16A4 (w/Iron Sights) (line 41 of "usrif_m16a4iron.tweak"):

M4 (w/Iron Sights) (line 42 of "usrif_m4iron.tweak"):
include ../../common/deviation.con "assaultrifle" "carbine"

If you really put that much faith in the minutia of these details, you could find them for yourself - as Frontliner mentioned, they are not encrypted - since they are just zipped up package you can explore at:
Code:
(programs)\Project Reality\Project Reality BF2\mods\pr\content\objects_weapons_server.zip
IMHO, it's a poor operator who blames their equipment (no offense intended, I'm just being blunt). There are circumstances, latency, damage factors, and so much that should not be ignored before blaming something as slight as a particular weapon's deviation for the reason for lack of a clean swift kill.

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-23, 22:19   #9
dcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuva_RD View Post
Muzzle velocities, recoil and damage differ, as well as optics magnification. You think that you miss more with SVD scope because it has 2x more magnification than 1P78, and bullet deviation is twice as noticeable. Idk how you got to "not damage related" bc you estimate your accuracy from shots fired to kill, and some guns require +-1 shot to kill compared to others.
I aim for the legs. Old tarkov habits die hard.
Old 2022-01-09, 20:17   #10
Grump/Gump.45

Quote:
The AKM uses 7.62x39 and the AK-74 uses the 5.45. The AKM visually has a wider iron sight, makes it better for leading targets or putting a target in the sight. Its why I like the Mosin Nagant for its ring sight, it is just like a scope without the zoom, put your target in the ring. One possible explanation is the sight design which may have been developed to reflect bullet velocity and leading measurements which I go over on my next point.

Bullet velocity, I know 7.62x39 is pretty slow and when bullets travel super sonic they go ahead of the sound only until they lose velocity and the sound catches up. There is point of intersect when the sound of the gasses propelling the bullet and the bullet snapping over super sonic meet. For an AKM that point is at 600 Meters where sound of gun fired catches up to bullet, which makes crack-thump method hard to use unless you know this information for each weapons bullet velocity.

Faster bullet can mess up leading your target, which is why I hate switching between AKM and AK-74. I prefer the AKM cause it hits harder and takes 2 shots or less every time. IRL you can take a braided rope, dip it in motor oil and run it through everything and make it run real nice. It will catch fire faster though.
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote