project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Modding Tutorials
16 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Modding Tutorials Information and tutorials related to modding BF2.

Old 2009-04-01, 11:16   #1
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Arrow BFMeshViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remdul
Hi,

I wrote a tool over the last few months to view exporter Battlefield models, and we've used here internally at FHmod. It doesn't do anything fancy, but it is good for debugging, checking texture filepaths, shaders names of statics, check poly count etc. Just something to make our worthless slave-lives a little easier.

Screenshot:

Not everything is supported or displayed properly. Skinnedmesh does not work (yet), weapon/vehicle collisionmesh is currently not implemented. Works on most BF42, BF2, BF2142, and BF Heroes files. You can view .sm, .staticmesh, .bundledmesh, and .samples files.

There's a world space > tangent space normal map converter, and also ambient occlusion map renderer (load OBJ for this), but these are highly experimental and undocumented.

You can bind file extensions to BfMeshView so you only have to double click files to view them. Just right click on the file > open with > browse to bfmeshview.exe, select checkbox > ok.

For texture loading to work, simply add your mod path to the texture paths list on the options dialog.

You may need some extra files to run this app, see bottom of the page for download.

Use at your own risk. There is no written documentation. Unfortunately I have very little time to work on this tool. Post suggestions/bugreports in this thread please. I might check back every once in a while if I find the time, but no promises. :P

Cheers,
Remdul
(Reverse Engineer @ Forgotten Hope 2 mod)

Had a quick go with this tool last night, really good going to save me lots of time with having to load up the editor to view a mesh. Lots of info on all the lods, mats etc.

Takes a bit to work out how to setup the textures but isn't too hard, you just need to manually put in all the texture folders for it to read which is kinda a bumber.

You need to download both the latest build and the dlls at the bottom of the page.

Hope some of you will find this useful

Check this updated post for link: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...ml#post1562420

Last edited by AFsoccer; 2014-04-11 at 04:27.. Reason: updated link
Old 2009-04-01, 11:24   #2
ice_killer
Default Re: [New Tool] BFMeshViewer

ZOMG thats great news, can you say thanks for me
ice_killer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 13:03   #3
marcoelnk
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: [New Tool] BFMeshViewer

nice , looks cool

marcoelnk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 08:54   #4
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Tool] BFMeshViewer

anyone got a alternative link for this? Its really good for mappers who want to check to see if the statics they use have got obvious problems like LODs etc

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 10:45   #5
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

TBH checking that stuff is best done in the object editor, where you can easily view the object with textures without having to search for all the texture paths.

You can view LODs and cols in the object editor btw, check the coding part of my static shed tut for info on it.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 11:02   #6
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

my editor just doesnt like switching between object and level/terrain editors

Old 2011-03-07, 11:04   #7
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

is that all the time or only when an object has been updated? When updated there is a known bug there, but if no objects have been updated while the editor has been running, it should be fine.

Old 2011-03-07, 14:33   #8
[R-DEV]​Tim270
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rudd View Post
anyone got a alternative link for this? Its really good for mappers who want to check to see if the statics they use have got obvious problems like LODs etc
http://timdouglas270.ftfmod.com/bfmeshview180.rar

Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 14:59   #9
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

cheers mate

Old 2011-03-15, 10:20   #10
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

New version released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remdul
Ok, as promised, here it is:

BfMeshView

BfMeshView 2.0.0!
Although the version number has hit 2.0, as always it remains an experimental program. Many new features, the highlights:
* BF2 animation playback!
* added texture mass-rename tool (proven to be very popular among FH devs)
* added browse buttons to material editor
* improved display of UV channel info (should help to clear up confusion when troubleshooting bad lightmap UVs)
* added BF1942 StandardMesh shader/texture loading

Many thanks for the suggestions and bug reports!

One other thing I should also note, the file extension binding has been changed, so that files can be sorted by file type properly in Explorer and Winzip again. You might have to open the Options > Preferences window, and click Apply for this to take effect.

If there are any regressions, I'd like to hear about it.

Webpage and screenshots updated. Other good news, most Battlefield Play 4 Free files also work in BfMeshView. Some files do not load properly, I may or may not improve that.

MaxScripts updated as well: http://www.bytehazard.com/bfstuff/
My webhost erroneously restored an old backup a while ago without my knowledge, so some users may have downloaded outdated scripts. Re-download if you're having trouble.

My webpage has now been moved to ByteHazard, which is where it will stay for time being, so update your bookmarks.

Tags
bfmeshviewer, tool