project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:WWII General Discussion > PR:WWII Suggestions
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:WWII Suggestions Suggestions from our community members.

Old 2023-03-26, 02:30   #1
Corvin

Exclamation Minor and major historical inaccuracies

Hello some WW2 inaccuracies i find out in PR and would love to report.

Easy fixes:
German Engineer (Pioner)
Currently using wrongly Kar98 - in fact German Pioners were equipped with MP-40 or other SMG by doctrine so standard Pioner Squad had one more additional SMG compare to standard Granadier squad. That's easy fix.

German Spotter: as part of two man unit they were equipped with SMG (Mp40) just like equivalents of other armies (US spotter should get either Grease gun or Tommy too)

On Carentan:
Alternative Automatic RIfleman should get MG-34/42 instead of MP-40. And considering that was Fallschirmjäger fighting there in real life they could get MP-40 for other kits instead (medic, breacher perhaps) since both Regiment of 6. FSJ division and 3rd FSJ div in Normandy had confirmed extra number of SMGs in use.

Panzer IV C/D and StuG III B just shouldn't exist on 1944+ maps - if any of those were in service they were at eastern front in reserve divisions or just few used by 21st Panzer. Those tanks were totally out of service and should be replaced by either Pz IV F2 (which are innaccurate too but still better)

Grease Gun is under represented in game currently. Falklands have correct model of it and some roles for US could use it: engineer, alternative medic, spotter etc.

US Squad Leader on US Airbourne maps could get M1 Carabine instead of M1 Garands which would be more accurate

Bigger issues:
BAR default zeroing sights at 800m by default - just unnecessary addition for model limiting sights

Lee Enfield for US sniper... ugh but thats well known issue

M8 Greyhound model currently is just bad and inaccurate - it was open top vehicle with .50 cal on the turret top ring

Cheers
Corvin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-26, 15:26   #2
[R-DEV]​Hans_Strudel
PR:BF2 Developer

Default Re: Minor and major historical inaccuracies

Quote:
German Engineer (Pioner)
Currently using wrongly Kar98 - in fact German Pioners were equipped with MP-40 or other SMG by doctrine so standard Pioner Squad had one more additional SMG compare to standard Granadier squad. That's easy fix.

German Spotter: as part of two man unit they were equipped with SMG (Mp40) just like equivalents of other armies (US spotter should get either Grease gun or Tommy too)
Last edited by Hans_Strudel; 2023-03-26 at 15:31..
Old 2023-03-26, 21:12   #3
Corvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_Strudel View Post
Well in fact there were highly StG-44 equipped divisions 78. Sturm-Division or Grossdeutchland so it isn't sci-fi however majority of StG-44 production durning Overlord/Bargration was deployed in the east with some divs like mentioned one have priority in use them.

However i am talking about two clear cases where SMG was assigned by default in German army:
https://www.quartermastersection.com...R-KOMPANIE1943

https://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstn714fg1jun44.htm

There are actually more sources since i working on it in other game: Steel Division 2 Lemme know if needed
Last edited by Corvin; 2023-03-26 at 21:22..
Old 2023-03-27, 05:17   #4
Grump/Gump.45

Sort of like how US has WW2, Vietnam, modern variants including separate USMC and US Army. The German Army should have several era loadouts. Later in the war you would see more advanced weapons. Starting with what we have now, the early war days with MP40, K98, MG34. Then escalate to Fallschirmjäger units majority advanced new weapons. Would love to see German paratroopers.
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-27, 13:29   #5
Corvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump/Gump.45 View Post
Sort of like how US has WW2, Vietnam, modern variants including separate USMC and US Army. The German Army should have several era loadouts. Later in the war you would see more advanced weapons. Starting with what we have now, the early war days with MP40, K98, MG34. Then escalate to Fallschirmjäger units majority advanced new weapons. Would love to see German paratroopers.
In game we have currently just 1944-1945 set-up tho so i think no need that.
Corvin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-27, 18:25   #6
[R-CON]​Frontliner
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvin View Post
snip
Most of what you're saying with respect to the proliferation of German small arms to me seems like video-game-induced WW2 folklore. The Wehrmacht never had suifficient SMGs to the point that equipping a squad with more than one MP40 was the norm rather than an exception reserved only for smaller unit formations(probably not more than battailon strength, if even that) and many of the desired divisional ToEs that listed any given quantity of SMGs, self-loading rifles and the StG 44 were wishful thinking and would never be even remotely fulfilled. Most of the production quotas considering the attrition would've been hard to fulfill without both war and civilian infrastructure bombed on the regular.

Even if you were correct, - you aren't, for the record, but I'll pretend for a moment that you are - and more kits would be the recipients of (semi-) automatic small arms, you would end up with an undesireable clusterfuck of kits for your so-called "average" infantry squad. Every person who has thus far advocated for aforementioned distribution increase is likely just asking for an option to not use the Kar98k in particular for "X" kit, with the reasoning "well, some unit somewhere might've actually gotten a second SMG". Well, I'm sorry to say this, but what we're doing is brushing with a very broad stroke, and the average Joe(or rather, Josef) had a Kar98k and that doesn't change, no matter if we're talking 1939, 1941 or even mid 1944.

Additionally, the current state of the faction balance doesn't seem to favour either side with a more or less equal win distribution(which is a very much desired and intended outcome, historical accuracy be damned!). And although I've seen a faction may get stomped on a particular map, I've also seen it go completely in the other direction.
If Wehr was getting slapped sideways from dusk till dawn every time, on every map, then maybe we would have to adjust somewhere, but that's simply not the case.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-27, 21:10   #7
[R-MOD]Nate.
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvin View Post
However i am talking about two clear cases where SMG was assigned by default in German army:
https://www.quartermastersection.com...R-KOMPANIE1943

https://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstn714fg1jun44.htm

There are actually more sources since i working on it in other game: Steel Division 2 Lemme know if needed
it seems both of your links show that the average joe pioneer indeed had a k89k?

Nate. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-27, 23:16   #8
dcm

I dont really play PR:WW2(I'll play it if there's nothing else available, but I dont go out of the way to). I think it's inherently imbalanced and for lack of a better word; 'Broken.' Sure there are times on maps and certain map layers, where the german team is competitive with the american team. But those times are few and far in between. I dont believe that dismissing the OP's points out of hand, is productive and beneficial to the life and health of PR:WW2, and PR as a whole. Sure some of the suggestions are untenable. But the PR:WW2 needs to be looked at. It's a diamond in the rough. It just needs some more polishing to reach it's potential.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-28, 08:21   #9
[R-DEV]Suchar
PR:BF2 QA Lead
PR Server License Administrator

The firepower of the german team is more concentrated in a few specific kits while in american kits it is more spread out. Germans have a few very strong kits and it requires teamwork to use them efficiently. It also means the skill factor of a single player is more important in the case of the german team.

So if you think the german team is at a disadvantage, it comes down to skill issue.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/uploads/signatures/sigpic98978_4.gif
Suchar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-28, 15:59   #10
[R-CON]​Frontliner
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
I dont believe that dismissing the OP's points out of hand, is productive and beneficial to the life and health of PR:WW2,
he says, while dismissing the explanations that were given to OP offhand, completely unaware of the double standard.

If you can't be arsed to rebutt what I say, zip it, and let the OP talk instead.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote