project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
08 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2016-12-05, 22:15   #1
DogACTUAL

Default jet cannons

Jet cannon drop is way too high on most if not all jets. If you fire rockets and cannon both at the same time you will see that the cannon has way more drop than the rockets even though the cannon shells are much faster.
You will notice the difference very clearly on maps with 3km view distance, but also on normal maps too.

Seems that this effect was increased quite a bit with the newest release.

Is it possible to give the cannons more real ballistics values?
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-06, 04:59   #2
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: jet cannons

In previous release they had no drop. Drop was given to make them less effective aginst ground target strafing, although yes, possibly a bit OTT, it was super easy to snipe targets at 3km away before.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-06, 05:46   #3
[R-CON]​Frontliner
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
Jet cannon drop is way too high on most if not all jets. If you fire rockets and cannon both at the same time you will see that the cannon has way more drop than the rockets even though the cannon shells are much faster.

Is it possible to give the cannons more real ballistics values?
It is more realistic for gun rounds to have higher drops, they are not propelled throughout the flight unlike missiles and rockets so air resistance is going to drop their speed quickly, whereas the other two remain quite constant until their fuel runs out.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-06, 05:57   #4
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontliner View Post
It is more realistic for gun rounds to have higher drops, they are not propelled throughout the flight unlike missiles and rockets so air resistance is going to drop their speed quickly, whereas the other two remain quite constant until their fuel runs out.
Indeed, they also have thins to stabilise their trajectory.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-06, 08:04   #5
DogACTUAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontliner View Post
I took that into account mate, but the thing is the gun shells reached the target well before the rockets when fired together at the same moment, which means they were faster than the rockets overall.
Afaik fins only stabalize the flight of the rocket but don't offer much buoyancy in the air.

So i think it is fair to simplify the math and treat it like a free fall scenario which would mean i am right, since that means the more the projectile is in the air the more drop it will experience.
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-06, 08:15   #6
[R-CON]​Frontliner
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
I took that into account mate, but the thing is the gun shells reached the target well before the rockets when fired together at the same moment, which means they were faster than the rockets overall.
That doesn't matter. Rockets and missiles are way more massive compared to a cannon round, not to mention how much drag they will experience doesn't matter nearly as much as they are still propelled forward. Furthermore I would assume that modern unguided rockets are built to account for the drag for a few hundred meters because otherwise it'd be very hard to hit your target.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-06, 08:43   #7
DogACTUAL

What can i say? It's physics mate, when one projectile reaches the target before the other one it drops less than the one that takes longer. It doesn't matter how big they are or how heavy.

Unless they have a really high suface to mass ratio, like a sheet of paper or something, that allows them to significantly slow down their fall thanks to air friction. Which isn't the case here since the overall shape of a 30mm cannon round and a 50mm rocket are similar, the rocket is longer but also weighs more in return.

And the fins don't quite cut it, considering they are meant primarily for stabalization, if they really had high air resistance the rocket would have even more drop since it would be pointing way more downwards unless it has additional weight on the back part which in turn would equal out the added buoyancy again.

Also the rockets aren't meant to be very accurate, they are more of an area effect weapon, designed to be fired in volleys to cover a big area, a good bit of inaccuracy is even intended.

Yes, the rocket has more mass, kinetic energy and inertia, but if the cannon round reaches the target first all of that doesn't matter, that means the rocket must have more drop.
Last edited by DogACTUAL; 2016-12-06 at 10:51..
Old 2016-12-06, 12:16   #8
[R-DEV]​rPoXoTauJIo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
What can i say? It's physics mate, when one projectile reaches the target before the other one it drops less than the one that takes longer.
Even if one have engine force applied during flight time and another one not?

assetruler69: I've seen things you smurfs wouldn't believe. Apaches on the Kashan. I watched burned down tank hulls after the launch of the single TOW. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to give up and respawn.
rPoXoTauJIo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-06, 12:28   #9
PatrickLA_CA
Supporting Member

Most cannons should barely have any drop on targets closer than 1km. They fly with a much greater speed which is what DogACTUAL is trying to say and their drop will begin when they lose their speed.

The unguided rockets shouldn't really have any drop as well in distances such as the maps in PR can provide.

In-game: Cobra-PR
PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-06, 12:53   #10
DogACTUAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]rPoXoTauJIo View Post
Even if one have engine force applied during flight time and another one not?
Yes, unless the rocket engine actually propels the rockets at a more upward angle instead of a perfectly horizontal one, maybe if the rockets are tilted slightly upward during the flight.

That is the only reason i can think of why the rocket would have less drop than the cannon, because like i said, i tested it ingame and the rockets are definitely slower than the cannon rounds but have less drop than them.

So unless the rocket is propelled at an upward angle this can't be physically correct afaik.

Also remember that those kind of rockets quickly stop propulsion after launch, the motor will only generate thrust for around the first 500m at max, most of those kind of rockets at even shorter distances like 300m. Once they reached that point they will just fly to their target like a regular projectile.
Last edited by DogACTUAL; 2016-12-06 at 13:03..

Tags
cannons, jet