project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2013-06-18, 22:11   #1
Psyko
Default Upgrading my pc, second gfx card?

Hey

at this stage my computer is quite out dated but its only nearly 4 years old I think and back then it was made of pretty good parts.

So right now the mother boards is
asus p5q3 delux
and its alright, it does the job. But looking at the performance im getting in Arma 3 im seeing that it wouldnt hold a candle to the next generation games. But id be happy if I could at least get Arma 3 to work smoothly on a little higher than Standard rendering settings.

My cpu is a Q9450 (this is for reference in case) ARK | Intel? Core?2 Quad Processor Q9450 (12M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
the one and only Graphics card I have is Geforse 9800 GT GeForce 9800 GT | Specifications | GeForce
And i have a very strong heat sync.

So my question is.
If I add a second graphics card is it going to do me much good? my MB is PCI express 2.0 and that seems to have come and gone, theres only one graphics card available to me that meets my specs on my favorite shopping site. ASUS GeForce GT610-SL-1GD3-L - 1GB - PCI-E

Its cooling is "passive" lol, but my heat sync should keep the whole lot nice and cool.

Any Crits or advice? im working cheap here as im not working properly, still a shitty intern level student.
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 00:26   #2
SANGUE-RUIM
Supporting Member

Default Re: no mod related question

i wouldnt get another card... i would save the money, sell the current card u have, and buy another one better...

but of course, i think u need to upgrade the other parts of your PC, such as mobo and CPU...
good luck
SANGUE-RUIM is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 00:43   #3
Psyko

Thank you sangue
Old 2013-06-19, 01:08   #4
SANGUE-RUIM
Supporting Member

Arrow Re: no mod related question

i think u can start changing ur GPU card if u cant afford everything now...

i'd recommend a GTX 660 TI... its a great card (i have one)
if u cant afford it, I also have a RADEON 7850 1GB, which is much cheaper than a 660 TI (at least here) and its also a great card.. love it

ur mobo is good, but its an already outdated socket... when u can, change it... but that will force u to get a new processor, and new RAM, etc...

be aware of ur PSU... u need a good one for a 660 ti for example...

good luck
Old 2013-06-19, 01:16   #5
SANGUE-RUIM
Supporting Member

Arrow Re: no mod related question

also, dont waste money upgrading ur processor and RAM (on this MOBO)...

save the money and change everything u have when u can... if u start by changing the GPU now, u wont have to do that later...
and dont mess with the PSU, its always necessary to have a good one if u have a high performance PC...

good luck
Old 2013-06-19, 02:08   #6
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
my MB is PCI express 2.0 and that seems to have come and gone,
You are mistaken, all PCI express x 16 2.1 and 3.0 cards are 100% backwards compatible with the PCI Express 2.0 slot.
Only the very top end cards, say the GTX 680 and higher, and the HD 6990 and HD 7970 wilol actually get bottlenecked by the PCI-express 2.0 slot.

I fell your pain, I swapped from the Q9550 last fall, it was expensive, and I still can't max out Arma3.

Arma2, Arma3 were made by hardware companies to make bleeding edge consumers cry when they run the benchmarks. Hence they must buy even newer hardware. Bohemia Interactive is just a front group.

If you aren't sure which PSU you have, unplug your PC, and open it up and find out exactly.

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 05:26   #7
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

What kind of thread title is "no mod related question". You know better than this, Psyko, now we have to fix her up again .

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 20:09   #8
Psyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AfterDune View Post
What kind of thread title is "no mod related question". You know better than this, Psyko, now we have to fix her up again .
Butthurt from AD? I am overjoyed! I did it specifically to aggitate you as i knew how anal you are about things like that.
(does my misspelling of the word AGGITATE agitate you?)

Quote:
I fell your pain, I swapped from the Q9550 last fall, it was expensive, and I still can't max out Arma3.
Thanks for the advice man, I was never one of those consumer cows anyway, im happy playing it on low, as long as i can play epic titles like BF3 and Batman Arkham City, im happy with what I currently have.

do you think a cheap G-card would help at all? or is it really CPU performance thats the real problem? when implaying arma 3 coop, the two things that seem to drag on my cpu are the smoke, and enemy NPCs. not sure why as they dont look all that troublesome to render, and i would have assumed some of those things would have been calculated on the serverside!?
Old 2013-06-20, 00:53   #9
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Just to reiterate, the GT610 you linked to is a card made for budget office PCs, do not buy it.

A optimal upgrade path for you,
first off, you need to know what PSU you have, and what wattage it's rated.

If your PSU is sufficient,

1. Overclock your CPU, your mobo is an enthusiast mobo, it's designed to overclock CPUs. Get the most out of that Q9450 as you can.
Arma2 performance is most dependent on the speed of the CPU,

2. Yes, your GPU is holding you back. You could jump into a GTX 660 or HD 7850 and triple your graphics performance, GeForce 9800 GT vs GeForce 660 GTX review - Introduction

A GeForce GTX 650 Ti would double GPU performance.

--------------

On another note, for both ARMA2 and ARMA3, you need to use command line options to optimize the games for your system.

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 14:10   #10
Psyko
Default Re: Upgrading my pc, second gfx card?

do you think a GeForce GTX 650 Ti would fit in beside my 9800 gt?

Tags
card, gfx, mod, question, related, upgrading