project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Squad Leader Tactics
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2009-03-17, 20:34   #1
Cavazos
Default How to take command of a squad, when it wasn't using teamplay in the first place.

Introduction
Ever join up with a teamwork squad, only to find out the SL isn't even communicating or organizing the team? Matter of fact, you look at the map and notice that your squad isn't even within a 200m radius of each other. Ok, maybe its a recon squad.. wait.. so how come everyone in the squad is in the middle of the street and dying not using binocs to recon?

Ok, there goes that optimism. Welcome to a squad that isn't using teamwork. Where either the squad leader is AFK or the SL has left and now there is a war of people leaving the squad to make someone else squad leader but they just keep leaving and rejoining the squad. Just keep in mind your best chance for taking control of a squad is if you become the squad leader.
*sigh*
Uh-oh, so 3 people have left the squad at the same time and now your squad leader!

What do you do squad leader?

Do you leave and hope someone else sticks with the squad leader position and magically start giving out orders to everyone?

No.

If you want to get things done, your going to have to do it yourself.

Maybe you don't want to lead. Maybe you don't feel like leading. Maybe you don't want your leadership skills be associated with a squad that wasn't using teamwork before, and now that your squad leader, you refuse to lead it as you fear the members themselves will ignore your orders and the squad will continue along the route it was upon before, or that you want an effective squad from the start.

It is easier to take lead of a squad from the beginning of a match in which the squad is named "teamwork" and the members who have joined are all in the teamwork mindset.

But don't be scared. Just because you joined half an hour into the match, and the only squad open was a squad named "TITTIES" and has the lowest score of all squads, and is in the negative for teamwork score, doesn't mean you can't turn that around.

Matter of fact, it is now your responsibility to take control of that squad. You are squad leader. It doesn't matter who is in it. As soon as you take that squad leader position, you have a few things you are going to need to do.
Establish Your Presence
I don't care if you were silent for 10 minutes just following squad buddies who seemed to be doing something. Your going to have to make a psychological mind shift change from silent squad member following others to a loud talking squad leader that takes care of his virtual buddies.

Psychology plays a big factor in squad dynamics. If you join a squad using VOIP constantly and working together well, your going to want to do the same to help out everyone as well. But if you join a squad that is dead silent and is not doing anything, you don't want to be the only guy trying to organize a squad that doesn't even want to work together.

Well, its time to change that. You now have the authority to kick people and basically, that is your leverage. But your real leverage is how you communicate with your team. Your a people person. Not a dictator.
Communicate your intent: "Ok, well i'm squad leader now. So we have to turn things around here. I'm going to need to know who wants to work in a team and win this mission!"
Communications Check
You are going to need a team that works together. Even if the other 5 people have been quiet the whole time, doesn't mean they don't want to work together. Believe that there are other people in there that do. But they don't want the responsibility of squad leading.

You need to establish communication from all squad members. VoIP or text. VoIP is not a requirement, and they just need to acknowledge your presence. Here is an example of the squad leader leaving the squad and your appointed squad leader by the game system. The squad name is "TITTIES" and is left with the players JohnnyBlue77 and Savi0r. You have communicated your intent and now must do a communications check.

Quote:
SGT 22.SAS|Maxsom[UKSF]: Johnny, you read me?
JohnnyBlue77: rgr
- He is good -
SGT 22.SAS|Maxsom[UKSF]: Savior, you copy?
*no response*
SGT 22.SAS|Maxsom[UKSF]: Savior, you copy? Over.
*no response*
SGT 22.SAS|Maxsom[UKSF]: Savior, you there? WTF man.
*no response*
SGT 22.SAS|Maxsom[UKSF]: Ok savior, if I am going to be squad leader you will have to acknowledge me either by VoIP or text. I need a team that will work together with me in killing these insurgent assholes. So are you there or not? If not, i'm going to have to kick you.
- Wait a moment for any response -
*no response*
SGT 22.SAS|Maxsom[UKSF]: Hasta la vista, baby.
- Kick Savi0r from squad -
Player Savi0r was kicked from the squad.
So if they don't respond after you've done everything above, kick 'em and continue down the line. Also, make sure to refer to members by name. It is a requirement you know everyone by name. You also want to give reasons for your actions if you have the time to do so, as well as motivate everyone into a killing but controllable frenzy.
Reorganize
Once you have the troops that are teamworkers, and gotten rid of the ones who are not, rally at a common location and reorganize your weapon loadouts if needed. Be mindful that not everyone is able to rally at your move location as some may be pinned down or are hiding from any enemy squad. Ask for status reports and why someone may not be moving.

Sometimes you will have to reissue an order as they might not have heard it due to gunfire. So all in all you only need to do three things to take control of a squad. That is to establish your presence, do a communications check, and reorganize. Once you do that, your ready to go player!
Last edited by Cavazos; 2010-05-08 at 23:14..
Old 2009-03-19, 13:05   #2
Scandicci
Supporting Member

Default Re: How to take command of a squad, when it wasn't using teamplay in the first place.

Some of my best rounds as SL have been when I inherited the position during a match. I think these moments are when you can really single-handedly sway the battle in favor of your team. If an entire 6 man squad was headless and not communicating for the first 30 minutes of a round, imagine what kind of impact to the outcome of the battle it is to have that same squad begin to work together and cooperate with the rest of the team.

Beginning a round as SL is decidedly easier in terms of organization. When I inherit the SL role I am usually a little more lenient for the first few minutes than I would be if I had begun the round as SL. As the squad gets us to me then, my leniency fades and I start to demand more and as a last resort I kick. SLing takes a lot of patience.

__________________________________________________ _________________

If it's worth shooting once, shoot it again.
Scandicci is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 20:32   #3
Razick
Default Re: How to take command of a squad, when it wasn't using teamplay in the first place.

Great post. Lots of useful tips and hopefully people read and take some initiative to become leaders.
Razick is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 21:41   #4
cyberzomby

Great post indeed! I'd like to say that it might better to not let them acknowledge you as a squadleader or make it as official as that. Mainly just dish out some orders like move here to defend this guys. If they listen great, if not ask them to come over to the marker. If still nothing than kick 'm out.

by letting them acknowledge you first you might get something like: who does this guy think he is. attitude
cyberzomby is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-20, 03:56   #5
thecoolj85
Banned

I will think twice before posting rude comments.

Dunehunter
Last edited by Dunehunter; 2009-03-21 at 17:34..
Old 2009-03-26, 08:06   #6
PFunk

I've done this many times. I've found that almost universally 3 or 4 out of your 5 guys will always follow you if you have the appearance of having a plan or of knowing what you want done. If you're always saying 'I want this' and 'I need someone to do that' then people will feel like there's an organization there, theres a group and there's a mission and you can take part in it.

Most people want that, I certainly do. Give it to them and they'll follow you on foot across Kashan 64. :P
PFunk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 02:31   #7
bull3rome
Thumbs up Re: How to take command of a squad, when it wasn't using teamplay in the first place.

Thanks for the tips i know now how to reinforce the Team work in my squads now thanks a lot m8

IGN: |101st|BloodRaven
bull3rome is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 03:20   #8
Cavazos

EDIT: NOT A DICTATOR

There is a part where I put dictator, that is absolutely not how to lead a squad.

Your welcome bull.
Cavazos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 05:15   #9
bishop_smith2

Great guide, man. Now get back on the battlefield. Haven't seen you in at least a week.

I have turned squads around many times before. The key is to just forget what happened before and push the squad to function correctly.

And this advice can be used at any time, not just when you take over a squad that was struggling. There might be 2 or 3 really good squad members who were just waiting for a good squad leader. Sometimes you have to be really good to bring them out of the woodwork. Making good tactical decisions like watching choke points, using fireteams and using dslyecxi tactics. The more experienced you are as a squad leader, the more likely you will be successful.

Squad leading is great because it is an interesting challenge for newbies and veterans, alike. There's always something new to learn, something to improve on.
bishop_smith2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 09:19   #10
robnobrobnob

Some Great tips!! I think we have all been in the position of taking on a Squad that's scattered all over the map and a lot back away from the responsibility to take control of the Squad.

It is actually quite a lot of fun turning a squad around and brinring them together as a team, It is scary the first time you do it, that initial 'hi, who here has com's' can take some courage when there has been silence for the last 10 minutes of play.

Follow this guide though and you will have fun and be respected on the field as being a good SL!!
robnobrobnob is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
command, place, squad, teamplay