project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Commander Tactics
12 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2010-02-26, 19:48   #1
L4gi
Server Administrator (A-N)
Default Experiences of a PRT Commander

A few months back we were discussing battleplans and what not on IRC. We eventually ended up talking about my experiences while commanding CATA3 in the PR Tournament. I showed those guys a few of my plans, and they got really interested about the various aspects of PRT battleplanning. One of these guys asked me to write a post in the tactics section of these forums. This is that thread.

I've been "known" on some server for more or less controversial tactics. Various "dirty" tactics and "rushing". People might not like them, but everyone is entitled to their own idea on how to play the game. Some of the tactics have made games end very quickly, especially if a bunch of friends are playing with me. Call it stuck in overdrive.

I've always been interested in exploring all possible ways to play, thinking outside the box. My "career" in the PRT started in C7. I joined CATA3 right after the team was formed. My CO at that time was Aquiller, a person I've learned much from. I managed to get myself appointed platoon leader, thus being able to participate in a majority of the battleplanning. A few games into C8, Aquiller informed us about his resignation, which opened up the CO spot for our team. I was chosen to be Aquillers replacement.

I had commanded multiple times before on public servers, so I was fairly familiar what the job of a CO had in store. My first game as CO was C8 B3, Operation Archer. We managed to win with 2 caches remaining, after 4 hours of playing. This was the longest PR game I have ever played. The planning for this game was done by Aquiller, basically a test for me.

C8B4 - Kashan Desert 32, MEC
We decided to go with this map, because we were fairly certain that the opponents would not expect us to take it. CATA3 had suffered a humiliating defeat back in C7 on Kashan 64. We also wanted payback.

Key points of the plan:
- Stop enemy advancement
- Cut supplylines to bunkers
- Relieve pressure from infantry capping flags

Basically, we pushed all our armor to North Village from 2 sides. A majority of the enemy forces were situated right in the middle of our pincer movement. All the enemy armor was neutralized, and the flag stayed white. We used the BRDM+HAT combo to spot out enemy targets before our main armor force moved in. This was done to reduce the amount of friendly armor losses. Our helicopter crews trained to mostly do Beyond Visual Range attacks on enemy soft armor targets and engage enemy aircraft when they were spotted.

We ended up capturing South Outpost, which we fortified and stayed at for the rest of the round. The enemy bled tickets, so we had no reason to attack any further.

C8B5 - Al Kufrah Oilfield 64, MEC
After the victory on Kashan, we were extremely pleased with our armor crews, so we decided to keep the pressure up by selecting another big armor map. Last time Al Kufrah was played in the PRT, NATO had won.

Key points of the plan:
- Slow down the enemy by disrupting capturing of first flag
- Surprise enemy armor by moving through the middle like idiots

We sent an infantry squad to each flag at the beginning. This ensured that we had men on all flags. The armor was told to ignore infantry, until the enemy armor threat was taken care of. We sent the BRDM(Mukhabarat in the picture) to further disrupt enemy movement and support Basij at the Village flag.

We managed to fortify our first flag and the flag on the west side of the map with little resistance. The east flag had a bigger amount of hostiles, so it took multiple attempts to get the flag. Once we had secured the flags we set up some defences, and got ready to attack. We did a joint armor/infantry assault on the Village flag, and captured it.

C8B6 - Jabal 64, MEC
We chose this map because it was one of my favorite maps in the previous versions. I had a good plan in mind, which has worked for me in the past.

Key points of the plan:
- Make sure the enemy only gets to cap East Beach
- Keep West Beach neutral so we can set up a perimeter at Dam

We sent a BRDM+HAT to West Beach, also known as the infamous "West Beach Rush". The amount of enemy contact at all flags was low to nothing. The enemy team had decided to dig in at East Beach. It took us a very long time to cap the flag. NATO had set up an almost immovable defensive perimeter at the flag. I would compare our attempts to push them off to something like banging your head against a wall. Once our area attack was up, the defenders pulled back a bit, which opened up a small window of opportunity for us. We filled 3 BTRs with infantry, and sent one empty BTR to take the heat at the flag. Once all BTRs pulled up, we managed to take turn the flag for us.

The point of this thread was to show people what kind of plans have been used in the PRT and what possibilities this game has regarding planning. If you want to know something, please ask!
Last edited by L4gi; 2010-02-27 at 12:44..
Old 2010-02-26, 19:55   #2
Wilkinson
Default Re: Experiences of a PRT Commander

Your tatics are keen and sharp, I've never heard of something like them. They are 100% Useful and smart. They do explot the game a bit but who cares. Plan for what you can.
Wilkinson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 20:14   #3
AgentMongoose

It's worth noting kufra and kashan were over in under 30min. Jabal in an hour and ogt after that in about an hour or so. (well really 2 for ogt but the server crashed and we had to restart)
AgentMongoose is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 20:26   #4
L4gi

Yeah, didnt add OGT to this because we didnt really have a plan.
L4gi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 21:40   #5
Wicca
Supporting Member

Im glad your in NATO now looking forward to learning from you.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 22:04   #6
L4gi

One thing I love with the new patch is that gameplay changes force us to think of new tactics.
L4gi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 22:25   #7
Wilkinson

C9 will be one at it's finest. It will be amazingly intense
Wilkinson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 23:13   #8
Drav
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Ye hope they include CnC in C9.....would make for an interesting game....
Drav is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 23:27   #9
Elektro

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Drav View Post
Ye hope they include CnC in C9.....would make for an interesting game....
Yeah... ehh.. with interesting you mean long right ?
Elektro is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 10:45   #10
MaxBooZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektro View Post
Yeah... ehh.. with interesting you mean long right ?
Or very short..
MaxBooZe is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
commander, experiences, prt