project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2015-07-26, 13:31   #1
Jedimushroom
Supporting Member

Default [Map] Khe Sanh (2km) [WIP]

Since the 4km Ughur Dam proved an excessively mammoth task for a budding new mapper such as myself, I am dedicating my summer project to the somewhat smaller mission of recreating the siege of Khe Sanh.

For those not in the know, Khe Sanh was a combat base on the border with North Vietnam, which was assaulted in 1968 by the NVA 304th and 325th divisions. The airbase was eventually abandoned by US Marines and Air Cavalry in July 1968, although they still claimed victory. You can read the wikipedia article about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khe_Sanh.

The basic idea behind this map is an asset-heavy NVA assault against an entrenched US team with good hilltop positions and helicopter mobility, but almost nothing in the way of armour support. So far I've put about 20ish hours into it, getting some good work done on the airbase and hill 950 but I need to iron out the flag positions and style before continuing on the hills.

Here's the current minimap with planned flag locations:

As you can see, it bears a pretty decent resemblance to actual maps of the combat zone, with a leetle artistic license.

My work on the other map has shown me just how much I need to learn about this stuff, so any and all advice is highly welcome. In particular, I need to decide how many flags to have and where to place them, as that informs which of the hills actually make it into the map.

Sneak-peeks of hill 950 and the airbase (heavily, heavily WIP) available on request.

"God will strike him down when he checks his email and sees young Fighter has turd burgling tendancies. Could you imagine going to church knowing your son takes it up the wrong 'un?" - [R-Dev]Gaz on 'Fighter137'
Last edited by Jedimushroom; 2015-07-27 at 08:46..
Old 2015-07-26, 13:53   #2
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Map] Khe Sanh (2km) [WIP]

Nice, been talk about making this map in the past but no one bit the bullet on it but good to see you have!

For now I would focus on just getting your terrain modelling and static placement done, once you've got that done I would recommend getting the map totally repainted with either L3DT or GeoControl since BFTPaint isn't at all good, especially for a map like this and will be really worth getting it done properly but first you want your terrain modelling pretty much done before you do it, then you can hand paint over the top of that

Anyways keep it up, will be an awesome map for sure and something very unique for PR!

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-26, 14:01   #3
Jedimushroom
Supporting Member

Thanks Rhino! Looks like I'll have to learn even more tools when I've finished with the terrain modelling...

"God will strike him down when he checks his email and sees young Fighter has turd burgling tendancies. Could you imagine going to church knowing your son takes it up the wrong 'un?" - [R-Dev]Gaz on 'Fighter137'
Jedimushroom is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-26, 15:06   #4
Jedimushroom
Supporting Member

Looking at the map I feel like Hills 881N, 881S and 861 are too close together to look reasonable. I'm going to try combining 881 North and South to make one contiguous hill.

Last edited by Jedimushroom; 2015-07-26 at 15:35..
Old 2015-07-27, 00:37   #5
Navo

Where will you have the NVA spawn? On the edges of the map?

Navo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-27, 04:41   #6
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

BTW Have you considered using DEM Data for the area? Could be worth it, even if scaled down from r/l?

Old 2015-07-27, 08:00   #7
B2P1

I can create terrain from DEM data for you if you want.
B2P1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-27, 08:16   #8
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

BTW jedi I'm sure you've watched this but if not, worth a watch

Old 2015-07-27, 08:41   #9
BroCop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo View Post
See, Jedi here was a bit derp that day so, among his other shenanigans, he forgot to write down the NVA spawn into that single unmarked circle in the NW corner.
BroCop is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-27, 08:45   #10
Jedimushroom
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo View Post

I was having them spawn in the position occupied by 325 division on that map, in a kind of staging area. So far I don't think the benefits of multiple spawn locations for the NVA outweigh the detriment to gameplay from the US having no real frontline. Either way it's not a decision I have to make properly for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino
BTW Have you considered using DEM Data for the area? Could be worth it, even if scaled down from r/l?
You know I considered that for a while, but since the actual size of the area in question is only about 8km by 8km I don't think I'll get good enough resolution to make it worth it. I will take another look into the DEM files today though.

The other problem is of course that the airfield can't really be scaled down without ruining the runway, so there would have to be some flattening either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2P1
I can create terrain from DEM data for you if you want.
Very kind of you, but I'll give it a go myself first, although I haven't had too much luck in the past.

EDIT: I fixed up the minimap as per CroCop's reminder...

Jedimushroom is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
2km, khe, map, sanh, wip