project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
16 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2021-07-20, 12:54   #1
[R-CON]​LangMaster
PR:BF2 Contributor

Post (Vehicle) Stryker MGS - M1128 Mobile Gun System

So i've recently decided to try and learn how to make a proper realistic vehicle model, since i usually do original stuff from my mind, this one is a different as you gotta follow blueprints and real life calculations to make the model as close as possible to the real life object.

I've decided to try and learn on vehicle called M1128 Mobile Gun System, Stryker MGS in short, i am in love with the vehicle design and i gotta say the vehicle looks mint with a cage on it, i've seen them in real life since there was one a convoy to a my country from US in 2016, those things are sick, pretty much what would you expect in a term of a glass cannon.

I am working on this for a short while now and i am close to try and make a quick texture for it just to see for my self how it would look. I was hoping it would maybe one day make it's way inside PR.

I made a quick hull design but right now i focus on the turret mainly first.
The turret now has 8000 Tris for now.

LangMaster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-20, 14:13   #2
[R-MOD]Nate.
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Default Re: (Vehicle) Stryker MGS - M1128 Mobile Gun System

wow nice!

Nate. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-20, 14:54   #3
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Looking real nice, but 8k tris just for turret is a lot. Easiest way to cut down on tris would be to make things less round. Especially here. Such a small detail does not need that many tris

I would also make the hatch/cupola deeper. Otherwise it will look weird when soldier crouches

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-20, 17:32   #4
[R-CON]​LangMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
Looking real nice, but 8k tris just for turret is a lot. Easiest way to cut down on tris would be to make things less round. Especially here. Such a small detail does not need that many tris

I would also make the hatch/cupola deeper. Otherwise it will look weird when soldier crouches
Alrighty, yeah i was trying to keep the smallest round stuff not that round, i guess i kinda skipped the rule for that one, as you said earlier, it's easier for the game to run when everything is merged together so yeah. The turret is pretty much finished at the moment i think i miss a camera or something spinny again on the top back, and a mg mount for the machine gunner.

The thing is this turret is insane there is tons of stuff, usually turret is just one box but this is crazy monster.

Old 2021-07-20, 21:00   #5
[R-CON]​LangMaster

So i, played a bit with the textures and, there is alot of ways i can do this actually, i've literally just came up with this in an hour and i have no single clue what am i doing since i never did textures in blender.
I really wanted to just try it on how it could possibly look.

I mean, for a first try not bad lol, though i am still missing alot.

Last edited by LangMaster; 2021-07-20 at 21:07..
Old 2021-07-21, 06:59   #6
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member

Before starting with texture, it would be best to post your UV so others can give feedback on it. Then you can use your rather high poly model to bake AO and normals.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-21, 10:40   #7
[R-CON]​LangMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
Before starting with texture, it would be best to post your UV so others can give feedback on it. Then you can use your rather high poly model to bake AO and normals.
Man it's not my fault that i am a fuken detailist. I swear i am saving those triangles lol. If i would be allowed to go with a full banger this thing would not even load in blender anymore.

Ima gonna try to get some tris down and get the UV

Old 2021-07-21, 14:43   #8
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member

Best way to use a love for adding detail is to make a high poly mesh and bake it to texture

But no matter the game, all games have budgets for textures sizes, triangle counts, draw calls,....

Unfortunately for us given the age of the game we have rather low budgets.

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-21, 15:33   #9
[R-CON]​LangMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineral View Post
Best way to use a love for adding detail is to make a high poly mesh and bake it to texture

But no matter the game, all games have budgets for textures sizes, triangle counts, draw calls,....

Unfortunately for us given the age of the game we have rather low budgets.
Yeah i know there is a way to do like a shader texture or a texture that tells what is reflecting light and what not and it actually makes it look like it is modeled but its just a shadow that is doing that, i know about that and i don't know how they do that so i would have to watch some tutorials for that stuff. I did some optimizing and downed the trist to 6k count, and is this what did you want to see ?

Old 2021-07-22, 07:32   #10
[R-CON]​LangMaster

Did a bit of an update on the open hatch so it looks how it is supposed to look.

Still missing the machine gun holder or what ever is it supposed to be called.