21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2009-03-31, 19:53   #1
marrecu
Default Crash - ghostmanager.cpp

Hi!
I'm having always the same problem:

Battlefield2 MiniDump. Address: 00448271 (In Windbg type: .ecxr)
ASSERT INFORMATION:
[...]
D:\Aphrodite\BF2_1.4\Code\BF2\Game\Common\GhostMan ager.cpp(1656): Error: Common: Failed to receive ghostmanager

Just Installed WinXP and the crash continues. I thik it also happens in vanilla. Any help?
Old 2009-03-31, 21:42   #2
SnipingCoward
Default Re: Crash - ghostmanager.cpp

i suggest a reinstall of BF2
also make sure to patch to 1.41 (not 1.40, which is still commonly distributed)

you might have corrupted installers of BF2, PR or the patch, redownload them if above suggestion is to no avail

to make sure you did everything right read the installation instructions from the manual or appropriate thread (link in my sig)
Old 2009-04-01, 20:09   #3
marrecu

thanks but reinstalling didnt work
Old 2009-04-01, 22:52   #4
SnipingCoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:-jAG3oMBJTEJ:www.mrbigshop.com/index.php%3Ftarget%3Dproducts%26product_id%3D449%2 6si%3DSoftware%26cat_id%3D1032+Failed+to+receive+g hostmanager&cd=14&hl=en&ct=clnk[/url
of this game are spearheading a movement to get the game renamed to Battlefield CTD. Battlefield CTD (or Battlefield Crash To Desktop for those who enjoy the extra reading), is a incredibly fun game when it works. Unfortunately, this title has that rushed to deadline feel to it and it shows. The most common crash is the now infamous GhostManager.cpp error. For those without programming experience the *.cpp extension is industry standard for C Plus Plus, the programming language the game was coded in. The Ghost Manager is the part of the game that handles the respawning of dead players. That's right, you've just made the ultimate sacrifice to destroy your opponent's artillary, you're about to go back into fray when "bleep" the whole game is gone, lost, never to be recovered. If the goal was to leave players dumbfounded, frustrated and wanting to return the game to their point of purchase then this Battlefield CTD bug is a five-star gem. While you might get over the first 5 - 10 crashes with a shrug, the bug takes it's toll. When you've crashed 45 - 75 times, you'll pack this game up into cold storage and wait for a patch. Of course patching isn't a strong point either. No sooner did EA release patch 1.01, the following day they had to release an emergency 1.02 patch to fix... of all things... a memory overrun problem. That's a programming 101 mistake. So I'm not holding out a lot of faith in this title. My advice is that this title is too young to waste your money on. EA has already announced an expansion pack, so save your money. This game is sure to be bundled at a later date with the expansion pack and the bugs worked out. When that day comes, be the first one in line, it will be worth your money and time. Until then proceed at your own risk...
this article is refering to the game when it was still in version 1.02 so I am under the impression that you did not follow my advise and patched the game
Old 2009-04-02, 19:53   #5
marrecu

Yes, i have patched. What i have instaled now:

-WinXP Pro 32bit fresh new
-P35 chipset drivers
-nv9600gt drivers (175.16 that came with the board, but also crashed with 182.08 )
-SoundMAX drivers
-Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-e gigabit ethernet controller
-BF2 1.41 without PR

It just crashed again because of ghostmanager.cpp playing vanilla.
Im thinking its related to network (not PB, crashes the same in servers without PB), i have a shared internet and Dlink-300 router. BTW, motherboard is an Asus P5K-E with Intel E2200 (2.2Ghz).
Old 2009-04-02, 20:26   #6
SnipingCoward

there should be a dump file in this folder: "My Documents\Battlefield 2\Dmp"

please post it here

i am asuming you ran bf2 in windowed mode, which is why you can provide us with a error message
if not plz do so and post the new error msg here too

other than that i might think that your bf2 installation is corrupted
Old 2009-04-03, 14:30   #7
marrecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipingCoward View Post
there should be a dump file in this folder: "My Documents\Battlefield 2\Dmp"

please post it here

i am asuming you ran bf2 in windowed mode, which is why you can provide us with a error message
if not plz do so and post the new error msg here too

other than that i might think that your bf2 installation is corrupted
Actually I have only 1 dump file now couse of the fresh XP. But i saw all dump files before (about 20) and they were all about "failed to recieve ghostmanager", and this new one also.

If instalation is corrupted, must be my CDs, couse i dont think i downloaded a corrupted patch from diferent mirrors 3 times.

This problem persists for about 1 month now..
Old 2009-04-05, 20:47   #8
SnipingCoward

the reason I asked you to post the dump file is because
I have no clue on how to fix that bug but ghostmanager may be the error reported and still not the first to occur and thus be an aftereffect - we are looking for the root cause there
since all dumps should look fairly the same it will probably suffice to post only one

Tags
crash, ghostmanagercpp