project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Commander Tactics
22 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2008-12-09, 20:25   #1
Michael_Denmark

Question Best or worst CO-Map ever in history of Project Reality

Please, in this thread post from the CO perspective only, thank you.
Maybe a moderator could reinforce the thread with a map vote at some point?

bump!, posted in the wrong section.

--- question start ---

Quote:
Gentlemen, my fellow CO players, maybe in the past you have been there too:

- Being x frustrated about that unfair map you never really understood how to win?
- Being x pleased on the subject of that easy map always wanting a CO using your tactical style?
- Being x confused in how to overcome the challenge of the width and or the depth of the map?
- Being x about y of that z map?

Gentlemen, may I have your attention, the best or the worst map. Was it:

- the terrain it self?
- the balance of the opposing forces?
- the standard or limited assets available?
- the deployable assets available?
- the map being too demanding on your troops skill level, your squad leaders skill level.....or your skill level?
- something not posted above?

What was it making that map the best or the worst of them all?

--- question end ---

Your opinion in position to be deployed Commander
Last edited by Michael_Denmark; 2008-12-10 at 17:56..
Old 2008-12-10, 19:48   #2
Michael_Denmark

Default Re: Best or worst CO-Map ever in history of Project Reality

Worst CO map in my opinion:

STREET

The following text, is using a commander player perspective only. I`ve played this map many times my self, as a trooper and squad leader having great game times doing so. Thus this is not a whiner post to the map developer, if the person in question feels so, please accept my apology.

Quote:

The map size

First of all the operational size of this beautiful designed urban map is simply too small to establish the option of actually making a real difference as a CO player. Too few CO options available. Not that it doesn?t matter for a team to use a CO ordering in example minimum one INF element to every of the three west-east urban corridors, but a decent team would take care of this highly basic issue it self. Even the use of a reserve element could be taken care of by a decent team too, simply because the map is as small and simple as it is.

Note: A decent team is one having no CO and where the squad leaders adapt to the overall situation, covering all flanks/flags/assets needed to be so. They either do that by naming them self?s i.e. South, Centre, North, Reserve, Flag or by using overall chat, or by using map experience and intuition.

CO-Creativity

Secondly, although restrictions generally speaking is the mother of creativity, Street just doesn?t get high enough on the CO-Creativity-Ladder; again, the small size of the map it self and the narrow size the of urban corridors is the reason for that. Being creative as CO ordering 31 players around in three narrow corridors is impossible in my experience. Being coordinative as CO doing the same is absolutely possible, but then again, so many other maps provide that option too.

Thus, unless the CO creativity shows it self as high levelled fire/smoke/movement-coordination embedded in some sort of pre-planned squad-based timing-equation, involving a randomly-set game-server using a ?disconnect x amount of both teams players throughout the round? -program, Street is still simply too small and too narrow for reaching the creativity zone as a CO player. And again, a decent team could at least take basic care of the coordination it self too; using fire/smoke and movement up/down any of the three west-east corridors. Ill go as long as agreeing in the fact that the first few times any CO player would try out a pre-planned fire/smoke plan on Street, it would be a fun challenge, but soon that challenge would drop close to zero, meaning no fun.

Training

When a (mainly tournament) CO wants to find a suitable map where the leaders on a team can be trained and evolve their team-sized skills, Street could actually be used as a basic training map for Command, Control and Communications, but then again, so many other PR maps out there provides the similar CCC training factors and sadly to Street, much more too.

Advanced Tournament training/planning

All warfare is based on deception. Thus using a map like Street as a planning and training decoy map for another map, could be used too, but then again, so many other maps out there provide the same decoy factors.

Worst CO map in my opinion

The tuff CO-perspective verdict therefore is deployed as follows:

Quote:
Street is like an empty box of chocolate?
you always know what your gonna get;
nothing
Last edited by Michael_Denmark; 2016-11-18 at 11:09..
Old 2008-12-11, 00:10   #3
Fishbone

Interesting post, but why did you put so much effort writing about a map that has been taken out of PR a while ago and will most likely never return?
Fishbone is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 01:25   #4
Mastatschief

ramiel would need streets atmosphere, want to say street in the size of ramiel with ramiel layout would be great.

ramiel is nice too but still too clean imho.

sry for the spam
Mastatschief is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 15:59   #5
Michael_Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbone View Post
Interesting post, but why did you put so much effort writing about a map that has been taken out of PR a while ago and will most likely never return?
Thanks.

Because it still has a place in the history of Project Reality.
Michael_Denmark is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 16:08   #6
Michael_Denmark

Can it really be true, that no other CO player out there has an opinion about the worst and or best CO map in the history of Project Reality?
Old 2008-12-13, 00:04   #7
gclark03

Sadly, yes.

My worst memories of command are actually on public Kashan games.

That alone says it all.
gclark03 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 01:22   #8
Eddiereyes909
Retired Forum Moderator

Gotta agree, maps might suck or be great. Hell, you can have the best CO map ever, but if the SL's dont follow orders there no point.

Guess I'll just stick to the PRT.
Eddiereyes909 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 10:11   #9
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

I found pre-0.7 Jabal challenging as the USMC commander due the fact that the uber advantage that MEC had especially in 0.6 really needed some brains on the US team to win, else everyone flew around in choppers and accomplished nothing.
Post 0.7 was also good, but then you'd assign a squad to defend East Beach and everyone would fly around capping flags not worrying about losing because they always had a flag to hang on.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Outlawz7; 2008-12-13 at 10:25..
Old 2008-12-14, 17:46   #10
Michael_Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclark03 View Post
Sadly, yes.

My worst memories of command are actually on public Kashan games.

That alone says it all.
If I understand you correctly, public rounds can quite easily turn into jazz, that is true, but map wise Kashan in my opinion, has to be a candidate of being among the best CO maps; so many options available on that map.

Come to think of it, its atually more dificult to pick the best CO map than the worst.

Gclark03 did I understand you correctly or is it the map it self, that in your opinion simply dosent present enough tactical challenges as CO?

Tags
comap, history, project, reality, worst