project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2009-05-11, 04:49   #1
unrealalex
Default Freezing midgame

My game keeps freezing midgame. I can't alt tab, or ctr alt delete. Only thing I can do is reboot. It just freezes with a still screen, no sound looping.

Dont know what the hell could be causing it. this is a new issue.
Old 2009-05-11, 05:41   #2
nick20404
Default Re: Freezing midgame

It could be a million things anything from low power to overheating to software problems.

Give us some more info like any recent hardware or software changes. Check your event log also for anything.
Old 2009-05-11, 05:47   #3
unrealalex

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick20404 View Post
It could be a million things anything from low power to overheating to software problems.

Give us some more info like any recent hardware or software changes. Check your event log also for anything.
I did check event viewer and there was nothing. Havent been any software changes or hardware. My pc is probably crapping out ><
Old 2009-05-11, 08:22   #4
nick20404

get HWmonitor Let me google that for you and check your temps see what they are idle and when you get in game. also have you let it just sit does it recover or eventually BSOD?
Old 2009-05-22, 17:06   #5
acCA[NL]

i have the same problem.
It started when i recently formated my computer and reinstalled windows xp.
I downloaded all the right drivers but now after maybe 15 minutes of playing the game freezes and the only option is to push the powerbutton to shut down the pc.
Old 2009-06-10, 05:20   #6
acCA[NL]

bump bump.

today again i have the same problems. my whole computer just freezes up. and it happens at random moments. sometimes 5 minutes in game, other time after 2 hours of playing.
it started when i formated my computer en reinstalled windows xp on it.
dont think that it is a hardware issue since i only had this problem since i reinstalled windows xp.....

would really like some help, because the freezing up doesnt seem healthy for my pc to me.
Old 2009-06-10, 19:13   #7
thepalerider

Arrow Re: Freezing midgame

When asking for help,
please remember to post your:
O/S,
systems specks,
network setup
And a brief history before and after problem started.
Please describe when your CTD or problem hits and
what you have already tried.
Old 2009-06-10, 20:26   #8
acCA[NL]

okay a bit more detailed info

cpu p4 3,02ghz northwood
ram 2 gb
psu: 450 watt
vga: nvidia 7600 gt agp

the computer freeze started when i cleaned my harddisk out, so i uninstalled everything and reinstalled windows xp. now after an hour, or longer 2 hours my whole computer freezes, only while playing pr. Another cause might be that i recently installed a new 7600gt agp since my old one broke down.
when the problem occurs i can hear the sound jam sounds like krg krg krg for 2 seconds and my whole computer is unresponsive, alt f4 doesnt work, alt tab, ctrl alt delete. only restarting comp with the big button works.

i tried alot of things:
-reinstalled bf2 and pr
-downloaded new vga drivers, reinstalled old drivers.
-i checked the temperatures of the vga and cpu, nothing special there
-i left the pc case open in case of overheating....
-installed latest audiodrivers

all to no avail. its annoying to get taken out of the action mid-game, but worse i think it is not healthy for my computer.
Old 2009-06-10, 23:23   #9
thepalerider

Arrow Re: Freezing midgame

If I had to guess I would replace the PSU. As they get old and dirty(when was the last time you cleaned it out ? Never?)they start to fail delivering full power on one or more rails. Your PC freezes as a result. Newer PCs will shut down to protect themselves from under voltage/overheating. Often you can hear a number of beeps when this happens (The # of beeps is a error code). Get a new PSU at least 500w. Use it in your next build/upgrade or keep it as a backup.

Also:
Set page file to 1.5 x real ram with min and max the same
Example you have 2 gig of ram.
2 gig =2048
2024x1.5=3036
Defrag HD after software install
Update ALL drivers

Good luck
Old 2009-06-11, 17:51   #10
acCA[NL]

heu not sure if its the psu, since it is only a year old. got a new one because i got a new videocard and needed a power boost, i think 450 watt is good enough tho for my good ol' computer.
will see if it needs some cleaning tho. thanks for input

Tags
freezing, midgame