project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > Official PR Tournament News
18 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Official PR Tournament News Official Project Reality Tournament news releases and announcements.

Closed Thread

Old 2017-11-07, 00:01   #1
[R-DEV]prbot
PR DevBot - Do not send PM's
Supporting Member

Arrow C13 Battle #1 Yamalia

PRT Campaign 13
Yamalia

The first real battle of the Tournament has concluded. With mortars raining hell and APCs pounding away, RPX just about clinched victory. We saw VOG start the match off with quite an aggressive deployment, latching straight on to the eastern end of RPX's battle line whilst simultaneously pushing up to secure their third flag. While they saw some initial success they were eventually repelled by a combination of flanking maneuvers and excellent mortar support from RPX, who went on to secure the flag for themselves with a confident push on all fronts. Once the flag had been lost, VOG struggled to recover and eventually suffered an honourable defeat. This was a tight match packed with action from beginning to end and an absolute joy to watch, which you can do here.

RESULT

PR Tracker Replay
Score Screen

With Yamalia as the first real battle of the tournament we see the first points being added to our score board, click here to see how the new scoring system works.

VOG has chosen Nuijamaa to be played next.

Date: 18th of November 2017
Time: Battle start 20:00 PRT
Server Password: Announced 19:45 PRT
Map: Nuijamaa AAS INF
Teams: FR (RPX) vs RU (VOG)
No-Go Zone Rules: Click Here

VOG & RPX Reserve signups are open again! Get in on the action that these intense and close battles offer!

Check the How do I Signup thread for more information. Make sure you subscribe to that thread and never miss the signups again.

PR Tournament Website
How-To Sign-Up
Tournament FAQ
Tournament Rules
Battle & Practice Schedule
Project Reality Discord

More...
Old 2017-11-07, 15:58   #2
Michael_Denmark

Default Re: C13 Battle #1 Yamalia

Roger. I have only had time to do three fast forwards of the battle, plus some slower snippets here and there.

My first reaction is respect to the ambition. Because it is a very determined VOG team that operational speaking, almost make it happen, capturing that fourth flag (Romeo 4), which I think it could have, had the speed of the VOG operation been faster.

So in that regard, I think that VOGs ambition of succeeding through the assault, need more training in speeding up its operation, on both the team scale and the squad scale. I actually think this is the winner recipe for VOG as it stands...because at the same time, we once again see a solid played RPX team doing what it has done in both the preparation battles. It await the initiative from VOG before taking action it self.

Now in that, if you will, RPX game system, is a structural weakness hidden. Not everyone out there can see it yet, because of VOGs lack of speed in its overall ambition of succeeding through the assault. However, as soon as VOG learn to speed up its own actions, the amount of information needed in the RPX system, to identify a VOG initiative, is reduced proportionally with the VOG speed. So VOG needs speed to break this , well, solid RPX system.

When that happens VOG will be one learning curve ahead of RPX.

In addition to that, RPX as a more static - system - than the VOG system, is focusing more on destroying than defeating.

So what is the difference between destroy and defeat? Attrition versus Manouvre

Check out this video. Good explanation here. All PR players out there, map makers too, please watch several times.

Old 2017-11-13, 14:00   #3
Michael_Denmark

Thumbs up Re: C13 Battle #1 Yamalia

Due to reduced computer time per day, I will post my battle comment step by step.

Once again, I will focus on the team taking the successful initiative and thus setting the conditions for the rest of the round. That team, in this the first battle of campaign 13, clearly was the Vanguard Operations Group. A team we have come to known, with the desire for the assault. Although not yet full hearted. Something I have tried my self, playing CO back in campaign 6.

With that said, VOG has at this early point moved remarkable far. This in terms of learning how to perform its initial assault in a successful manner. Thus, as we shall see, still not far enough, in order to exploit its initials gains. But make no mistake, - in terms of the assault, Vanguard Operations Group is getting there.

With those words, lets take a closer look at how VOG executed the start of this battle. And why it operationally, lost its verge of a victory. First an image showing the VOG focus on the third flag:

As you can see above, the Vanguard Operations Group is continuing with the starting style we saw in both the preparation battles. Its philosophy to be ambitious and determined in the assault, has this time been developed in quite a clever setup, where the aim seems to be two-folded; to gain ground and flags, faster than the RPX.

As mentioned in the image above, the VOG method in use, involved three elements, consisting of two airborne infantry units, with enough squad leaders and related squad members, to deploy four spawn points. Although none of these are full 6-man squads, they still have sufficient numbers to secure the third flag.

Their deployments are made on both the western and eastern extreme of the third flag. Deployed before any RPX ground or air based unit has been able to reach it. So basically a flexible VOG setup, being partly 1) a flag zone ambush and partly 2) a flag zone flanking security, that is, for the third VOG element, the approaching ground force, consisting of two APCs loaded with additionally two infantry squads, moving in from the north, towards the third flag.

1. In case of the ambush scenario, the third flag obviously play the trap to any RPX force moving into it, and 2. in case of the flanking security, this is obviously for the ground element consisting of those two APCs with infantry.

However, regardless of scenario, this setup essentially provide Vanguard Operations Group with the third flag from start! Because with the two infantry elements on the extremes and the mechanized infantry moving into their center, the possibility of RPX capturing the third flag, is lost. Simply too much VOG firepower located around that flag. A very clever and ambitious starting move, made by the VOG command. So a big thumbs up to the VOG planners for creating this excellent and daring start. Very inspirational. Thank you.

But as we shall see, this inspirational, daring and rapid VOG move, lost both its speed and tempo, far too fast, due to, well, I am not sure here? it could have been fear for an RPX attack, developed from the south west, or maybe simply that the VOG command did not understand the importance of keeping up its tempo, in order to maintain its initial created speed, when processing this type of attack?

But before we get to this change of the VOG created situation, lets take a glimpse at the first killer of campaign 13 and also peek a bit at the spawn superiority that RPX deployed from start. Again I need to say.

Note: a few minutes after this image was taken, RPX had constructed two additional FOBs, thus reaching a grand total of five. I would call that a solid spawn infrastructure. This even though the main RPX battle line, was located as close to its main base as it was. Even more solid in fact, when compared to the extremely long supply line of the Vanguard Operations Group.

Vanguard Operations Group on the verge to outline the framework of an encirclement.

Here in a bit stronger arrangement, although not strong enough.

Also, as seen in the image above, VOG has now engaged in three different battles. The first north of the fourth flag and the two others, located inside and east of the third flag. This is the operational mistake, the command of the Vanguard Operations Group made during battle 1 in campaign 13. Time wise the mistake is made around 15 minutes into the battle. So just maybe around the same time, the operational mistake was made on Dovre? Remember Dovre, the open VOG flank around 15 minutes into the battle, right? However on Xiangshan, the operational mistake of developing the otherwise solid VOG position into an attrition in that Forrest, took place around 40-45 minutes into the battle.

What VOG command in my opinion should have done, after the capture of flag three, was to 1) defend it with the two mechanized squads and 2) initiate the assault on the fourth flag, from the spawn point location used by VOG in Hotel 13. This way the operational focus on the flags on the "RXP side" of the map, would have been in continuum. Remember the words of Napoleon Bonaparte; I will loose a man but not a moment. VOG command clearly used this wisdom in relation to flag three.

So basically, simultaneously as flag three was captured, a VOG FOB should have been constructed in Hotel 13. This way no time would have been handed over to RPX command, thereby decreasing its decision making cycle and hence ability to response in the usual organised RPX manner.

In relation to the offensive VOG move, the picture below still needs to be explained. But it is basically about what is called Positional Dislocation and Functional Dislocation. If you have not heard these expressions before, I encourage you to watch the full video in the post above. The video on Man?uvre Warfare.

This post will be added more text.
Last edited by Michael_Denmark; 2017-11-17 at 13:57..
Old 2017-11-14, 14:12   #4
_Fizzco_

One thing to keep in mind michael here is that the US side on this map have plenty of deployment advantages in that there choppers are much faster, hence the "defensive" setup in the beginning by RPX
Old 2017-11-14, 17:31   #5
Michael_Denmark

Thx for the information Fizzco. Important information you bring in. Sorry for not providing it. I was perhaps too caught up in the logic's of the two commands, thus neglecting the more technical aspect of the forces at their disposal.

Yes the US choppers are much faster. But when we take the RPX battle planning philosophy into consideration, those faster VOG choppers are only a good thing. Because hereby the RPX command will get those early indications of the VOG intentions, and hereafter launch its own airborne counter move. Perhaps deploying its defensive setup, behind the force VOG placed at third flag? This in order to cut off VOG from its direct line of supply.

Riam Pax is a very well played team. It plays much as I would have played it. It is also a winning team I need to add. However, in the so far three battles played, the overall RPX logic has been to gather intelligence on VOG intention first, in order to launch its own counter move at the best moment possible.

When you think of it, the difference between Riam Pax and Vanguard Operations Group is really interesting. Because so far we really have seen an attacker (VOG) not waiting for battlefield intelligence to be gathered, or for that matter setting up a solid spawn infrastructure from start of the round. It is much more head on here. This mindset then confronted with the diametrical opposite school of thought, always setting up the infrastructure first, while gathering intelligence and then deciding on what and how to act.

Two different learning curves in dynamic.
Old 2017-11-15, 17:38   #6
_Fizzco_

Agreed, i often find whenever we are planning something we get distrupted by an aggressive VOG play.
Old 2017-11-16, 14:20   #7
fecht_niko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Denmark View Post
Thx for the information Fizzco. Important information you bring in. Sorry for not providing it. I was perhaps too caught up in the logic's of the two commands, thus neglecting the more technical aspect of the forces at their disposal.

Yes the US choppers are much faster. But when we take the RPX battle planning philosophy into consideration, those faster VOG choppers are only a good thing. Because hereby the RPX command will get those early indications of the VOG intentions, and hereafter launch its own airborne counter move. Perhaps deploying its defensive setup, behind the force VOG placed at third flag? This in order to cut off VOG from its direct line of supply.

Riam Pax is a very well played team. It plays much as I would have played it. It is also a winning team I need to add. However, in the so far three battles played, the overall RPX logic has been to gather intelligence on VOG intention first, in order to launch its own counter move at the best moment possible.

When you think of it, the difference between Riam Pax and Vanguard Operations Group is really interesting. Because so far we really have seen an attacker (VOG) not waiting for battlefield intelligence to be gathered, or for that matter setting up a solid spawn infrastructure from start of the round. It is much more head on here. This mindset then confronted with the diametrical opposite school of thought, always setting up the infrastructure first, while gathering intelligence and then deciding on what and how to act.

Two different learning curves in dynamic.

Closed Thread