project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights > PR Dev Journal Archives > 2009
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-08, 05:23   #1
HangMan_
Default [Map] Bamyan Province, Afghanistan

This map has been a WIP for 10 1/2 months now! I am trying to get it wrapped up and sent to the testers for its first birthday, but we will see how that turns out

Quote:
BAMYAN PROVINCE [WIP]

Name: Bamyan Province
Size: 2km
Theatre: Afghanistan
Factions: US ARMY (Placeholder for NZDF) vs Taliban
Gamemodes: Insurgency
Focus: Light Infantry/Guerrilla Warfare

The map is based on the NZDF deployment in Bamyan Province, Afghanistan. The scenario is set in the very near future, after New Zealand have increased their contribution to the war. In this scenario the conflict has recently sparked up again after Taliban attacks on coalition helicopters, and the local church. This has led the New Zealand troops stationed in Bamyan to mobilize in reaction to the new Taliban offensive.

I have chosen to use the US army as the current placeholder because there are US Army personnel stationed at Kiwi base with the New Zealand troops.

The old, original thread can be found here. This thread includes the original highlight images

Here is a little update on what i've been working on lately

This is an updated minimap which shows the new mountain range i have sculpted. This is strayed from the real terrain, but adds more variety and gives a better feel of the overall province of Bamyan. It also helps to break up the map quite a bit.

I've done some more work on KiwiBase. It is quite highly detailed, and now features a multi storied TOC bunker.

Recently this small village in the west was added, it provides a good scene for CQC fighting when troops descend upon it from the mountains

Here is the small town on the North of the map. It is terraced up the side of a hill, and is quite a challenge to assault. There is a market, a school, a church, and a hidden cave system nearby so this town will deffinately be the setting for some bruta fighting. Or so i hope!

Northwest Hillside just to show off some newly sculpted terrain

Some of the West mountains. These are also mostly new.

We will finish up with some images of Radio Relay Marlboro, which is the late FOB Moana. I have made some pretty big changes to the Relay in the last few weeks. It has a totally new entrance, and a revamped main entrance. I have also added a lot more detail to it.

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the screen shots, they were taken in the editor, and my PC isn't very grunty

HangMan
Last edited by HangMan_; 2010-03-18 at 09:15.. Reason: Mass update!
Old 2009-12-08, 20:48   #2
Nibbit
Default Re: [Map] Bamyan Province, Afghanistan

looking very very good man, keep it up!
Old 2009-12-08, 20:49   #3
psychickactivity

Yes that terrible , nice job !!
Old 2009-12-08, 21:01   #4
Froggy

Very nice! Are the crash sites objectives?
Old 2009-12-08, 21:02   #5
*Gunny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychickactivity View Post
Yes that terrible , nice job !!
That doesn't help at all, seeing how the map isn't finished and you don't even supply criticism he could work with. From me though its an overall great idea but could use some touching up, also I believe in one of the pictures the anti-tank gun is facing a wall?
Old 2009-12-08, 21:06   #6
LeChuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Gunny* View Post
That doesn't help at all, seeing how the map isn't finished and you don't even supply criticism he could work with. From me though its an overall great idea but could use some touching up, also I believe in one of the pictures the anti-tank gun is facing a wall?
...he obviously doesnt mean that
Old 2009-12-08, 21:25   #7
Antonyo

It is a very good start but as said before, can use some more work, like the hils in the last screenshot
"taliban valley" looks like they need some mote attention to give them a more reallife look. But its a WIP and I think it will turn out really nice! Keep up the good work HangMan
Old 2009-12-08, 21:49   #8
tommytgun

Looks very nice. keep up the good work
Old 2009-12-08, 21:51   #9
Drunkenup

Does that Steyr AUG have a AN/PEQ-2 on its right side?

The terrain on the map looks awfully amazing.
Old 2009-12-08, 21:53   #10
Copper.8

Looks cool. Nice balanced map, although there is plenty of space where the Taliban may succumb to the long-range fire of Blufor, the hills offer great advantages to the taliban even without having longer-range weapons.

Caches would be rather hard to assault if you had to do it uphill, is what I'm getting at. Well it's still a WIP but it looks great!

//Gunny, he was joking.//
Closed Thread

Tags
afghanistan, bamyan, map, province