20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Highlights Highlights of what work the Devs are currently working on

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-12, 19:19   #1
Hauteclocque
Retired PR Developer

Default Pavlovsk Bay (4km)

In just a few days Project Reality will be releasing a map pack for version 0.973 of its highly acclaimed modification to Battlefield 2. The map pack will be chock full of maps, with 4 brand new locations and 3 old favorites that have been given fresh, new updates. This highlight introduces one of the new maps as we wait for the upcoming release.

Name: Pavlovsk Bay
Factions: USMC vs. Russia
Size: 4km

We're also happy to share portions of a short interview with the map's creator, [R-DEV]Rudd, by PR's media guy, [R-CON]psychickactivity.

Hello Rudd. "Pavlovsk Bay" is to be a promising map: including amphibious assault and attack/defense in a forest setting. Can you tell us more about this map?

Well, I started this map as a 2km GB vs China scenario, which I mentioned in our earlier interview. I started looking around for ways to put a 4km scenario into play since I was motivated to get a map rolling again. I looked at Vladivostok, but couldn't fit it into a 4km scenario, but Pavlovsk Bay is nearby. In real life it's a decommissioned submarine base where ships go to die, but I didn't see any harm in 'reactivating' it. The topography data (the shape of the terrain) is taken from US Geological Survey (USGS) maps, so the hills themselves are reasonably realistic and I took the position of various objects from the real place, but I had to modify the layout depending on my map size and also the objects available to me. I had a lot of fun making this map, using my own creativity and the real place as a basic guide.

The gameplay I hope to create is to have well-armed, but badly-supplied, Russian forces try and hold against the US Marine Corps, who attack with a stronger force (and have air support in 32+64+128 layers). The Russians have to try and hold the flags in either a west to southeast configuration or a south to northeast configuration. The USMC gain a supply truck and vehicle depot when they cap the first flag, but after only a short time the Russian QRF (quick reaction force) will react with heavier APCs that can take on the AAVP7A1s the USMC brings to bear, as well as the deadly Gopher variant of the MTLB. Currently the Russians also get transport helicopters on the 64 and 128 layers, to ensure they don't get stuck in their main base.

Its also nice to finally have a 4km USMC map (especially since US vs Russia scenarios are currently quite rare in PR).

I'd like to say thank you to the beta testers who had a go with Pavlovsk Bay a few weeks ago. Its debut wasn't as smooth as I would have liked (I find it very hard to find the mistakes in my own maps... haha), but some great bug reports were submitted and I hope Pavlovsk Bay will entertain PR's player base for quite a while.

How long did you take to make it?

The 2km map took around 4 months to make, however it sat lonely and unused for many months. I offered it to other mappers so they could learn to create a map from a reasonable foundation, however no one used it. I eventually got a burst of motivation and put this into a 4km map using Pavlovsk Bay as a source of inspiration. So I'd say another 5 months of development on top of the original (which had the terrible British name of 'Hearts of Oak')

Where did you get the idea?

The original 2km map was inspired by the new Chinese submarine base that was in the news a while back, however I started looking for Russian naval bases to inspire me because of the submarine base level on World in Conflict (R) and the level on CODMW3 (R) where Price fires that nuclear missile... seriously!

What are your preferences when it comes to Project Reality maps?

My favourite maps are probably Dragonfly, Kozelsk and Fools Road; asymmetrical layouts but where both teams have equal chance of winning. Slowly moving with APCs and tanks with decreased power in dense forest vs setting ambushes and manning AT guns... this is something you simply cannot get with any other game or mod. Asset balancing, especially in asymmetrical layouts is very, very hard and requires a lot of player feedback to correct in patches (so we need everyone's constructive feedback, and loads of it!!).

Thanks for your time Rudd. We are all very excited to see this map in action soon!

This highlight is part 4 of 4 for the upcoming 0.973 map pack.
Be sure to check back in a few days for information about the map pack release.

Old 2011-12-12, 19:38   #2
Antol
Default Re: Pavlovsk Bay (4km)

Well done!
Vadso, Pavlosk and Marlin are my fav map for now Its just Unique
Old 2011-12-12, 19:46   #3
Mellanbror

Nice! And finally the good ol USMC gets some loving again =) and against Russia! =) Classic
Old 2011-12-12, 20:31   #4
ebevan91

Schweet
Old 2011-12-12, 20:38   #5
foxtwofive
Supporting Member

Very nice indeed! Looking forward to this one.

Playing PR Since 0.4
*CONIURATIONE FACTA*
"This is the calm before the storm, Armageddon dawn."
Old 2011-12-12, 21:12   #6
Shovel
Supporting Member

Wouldn't that be MW2?

Shovel009
Old 2011-12-12, 21:19   #7
Spush
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovel View Post
Wouldn't that be MW2?
We're cooler than MW2.

Old 2011-12-12, 22:54   #8
tankninja1

The bleed out for the Americans is way to fast
Old 2011-12-12, 23:34   #9
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Hey tankninja, that bug was reported and fixed for the next version.

remember, you played the BETA

Quote:
I'd like to say thank you to the beta testers who had a go with Pavlovsk Bay a few weeks ago. Its debut wasn't as smooth as I would have liked (I find it very hard to find the mistakes in my own maps... haha), but some great bug reports were submitted and I hope Pavlovsk Bay will entertain PR's player base for quite a while.
I'm also retiring now chaps to concentrate on my nursing degree, please enjoy the new maps. Cheerio!

Old 2011-12-13, 02:36   #10
Web_cole
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rudd View Post
I'm also retiring now chaps to concentrate on my nursing degree, please enjoy the new maps. Cheerio!
Sad face

Good luck with your degree though Rudd

Closed Thread

Tags
4km, bay, pavlovsk