project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
03 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2015-03-18, 21:22   #1
nine_lives
Default Best graphics card best for an Intel QX9770 CPU?

Hello,

I'd like some suggestions for a decent video card for playing PR on my computer. I was running a GTX 590 that worked pretty well using medium graphs settings - it crapped out so now is the time for me to upgrade.

My current system is this:

Operating System : Windows 7 64 Bit
Motherboard : Nvidia Nforce 790i
Processor : Intel Core 2 Extreme X9770 3.20GHz
Memory : 4GB

I'm dont want to get anything that might have bottlenecking issues with the CPU/MB and I'm not interested in doing any overclocking.
nine_lives is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-19, 01:21   #2
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member
Default Re: Best graphics card best for an Intel QX9770 CPU?

you have best LGA775 CPU ever released.
you have the best LGA 775 Mobo ever made.
(you should OC it :P )

In short, the GTX 680 or GTX 770 would be right around the max GPU you could add to your existing CPU/Mobo combo.

Your PC will run most games very nicely with a GTX 680 or 770. There will be some games where your CPU will bottleneck it fairly significantly, but you should still expect a big boost in performance in most situations. There will be some games that are CPU intensive where the GPU will go to waste.

The GTX 770 is more likely to bottleneck, HOWEVER it also uses 1/3rd less energy when gaming, so when comparing the prices, consider the total cost of ownership.

If you OC your CPU even to 3.8Ghz, you'll probably rarely if ever bottleneck the QX9770, Without interest in OC'ing, you'll hit the CPU bottleneck pretty easily with most newer more expensive cards.

And you can go AMD with the 7970 GHz Ed, R9 280X, R280, R285.

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-19, 16:30   #3
nine_lives

Thank you!
nine_lives is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-17, 01:33   #4
gavin

What'd the price range?
gavin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-17, 01:34   #5
gavin

I don't know much about the graphics card, I found this for you , hope it works AMD Radeon R9 290x is faster than TITAN X under DirectX 12
gavin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 19:34   #6
Code11b

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd View Post
you have best LGA775 CPU ever released.
you have the best LGA 775 Mobo ever made.
(you should OC it :P )

In short, the GTX 680 or GTX 770 would be right around the max GPU you could add to your existing CPU/Mobo combo.

Your PC will run most games very nicely with a GTX 680 or 770. There will be some games where your CPU will bottleneck it fairly significantly, but you should still expect a big boost in performance in most situations. There will be some games that are CPU intensive where the GPU will go to waste.

The GTX 770 is more likely to bottleneck, HOWEVER it also uses 1/3rd less energy when gaming, so when comparing the prices, consider the total cost of ownership.

If you OC your CPU even to 3.8Ghz, you'll probably rarely if ever bottleneck the QX9770, Without interest in OC'ing, you'll hit the CPU bottleneck pretty easily with most newer more expensive cards.

And you can go AMD with the 7970 GHz Ed, R9 280X, R280, R285.
This may or may not bother the original poster but the guy obviously specifically stated that he was NOT interested in OverClocking and yet you couldn't resist pushing the topic on him anyways. This would and does annoy me. Cmon People.
Code11b is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-22, 15:57   #7
[508th_PIR] Grey
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code11b View Post
This may or may not bother the original poster
Here's your first clue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_lives View Post
Thank you!
Quote:
and yet you couldn't resist pushing the topic on him anyways. This would and does annoy me. Cmon People.
Litoralis is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful members of the community. He didn't "push" anything - he offered a complete answer. His first comment regarding overclocking was a gentle nudge at most (note the smiley) and his follow up remarks were purely informational.

Complaining about a thorough response on a tech support forum is very silly.

[508th_PIR] Grey is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-22, 22:48   #8
Code11b

Quote:
Originally Posted by [508th_PIR] Grey View Post
Here's your first clue:

Litoralis is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful members of the community.

He didn't "push" anything - he offered a complete answer.
^Completely subjective by the way. Perspective. Perception.
I wasn't attempting to be too literal in my phrasing. He brought up what should have been a dead issue(Overclocking).
You can call it nudge or push or bumped or tapped but in the end the overall effect remains.

His first comment regarding overclocking was a gentle nudge at most (note the smiley) and his follow up remarks were purely informational.

Complaining about a thorough response on a tech support forum is very silly.
]

I didn't say or imply that he wasn't one of the most knowledgeable and helpful members of the community and in addition i don't need to be schooled on the subtle "nudge" about overclocking. I'm well aware what happend thanks.. I have no qualm with him as a person and i'm glad he chimed in to help the guy out but i do wish people would pay more attention to detail. When someone says i have no wish to OverClock then respect that and offer other details instead of trying to "gently nudge" them in the direction they clearly have no wish to head into. This is my opinion and i'm sticking to it. I don't care to argue back and fourth with you on something we can simply agree to disagree on. I'm over this already. This one reply is all you shall recieve from me. If it bothers you that much, that you require to have the last word and reply back go for it bud. I'll let you have it. I apologize if this has ruffled your feathers but you'll just have to sit there angry or get over it and move on. Thanks pumpkin. Bye. Have a nice day.
Last edited by Code11b; 2015-04-22 at 22:58..
Old 2015-04-23, 05:42   #9
IlluminatorConfirmed

Quote:
This may or may not bother the original poster but the guy obviously specifically stated that he was NOT interested in OverClocking and yet you couldn't resist pushing the topic on him anyways. This would and does annoy me. Cmon People.
What is wrong with you? Can't you read? Litoralis only suggested that TS doesn't have to buy top-end newer cards because most of them will hit bottleneck without OCed CPU.
IlluminatorConfirmed is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-23, 11:23   #10
Cossack
Supporting Member

Some people are just "special"...

Anyway, Lito knows nearly everything about PC hardware, I wonder my self how he keeps the track on things

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
card, cpu, graphics, intel, qx9770