project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2014-08-04, 08:50   #1
obpmgmua
Default Guns Recoil increased in Semi-Auto?

Something I've noticed that when you are firing any weapon in semi-auto the recoil is much much higher.

Why is that? Shouldn't the recoil be the same per shot regardless of the mode of fire?
obpmgmua is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-04, 08:51   #2
ComradeHX
Banned
Supporting Member
Default Re: Guns Recoil increased in Semi-Auto?

Apparently it's because recoil animation that does not finish when second shot happens is cancelled entirely.

Thus faster fullauto weapons(such as most BluFor rifles) have much lower recoil on spray-and-pray mode.
ComradeHX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-04, 09:57   #3
Spec
Retired Moderator
Supporting Member

Sadly, that is true and due to the way the engine and animation / recoil system works.

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!
Old 2014-08-04, 15:00   #4
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Some weapons in r/l are designed to have the next round fired counter the recoil of the round fired before it so in full auto there is hardly any recoil because each shot' recoil is countered by the one that comes after it, until your last shot in full auto.

Granted this isn't the reason for it being like this ingame on pretty much all auto weapons but same principles may be applying ingame as above, with the next shots recoil stopping the shot before it from having its full effect.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-04, 15:03   #5
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

We are trying to resolve this issue, but so far the code that should help did not prove to be functioning.
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-04, 19:09   #6
obpmgmua

You know I kinda like it. It balances out semi-auto somewhat. Unlike BF3/4/HL, the higher recoil in semi doesn't diminish from the guns performance. I don't know about the rest of the playerbase, but I prefer aimed accurate shots even well below 50M.
obpmgmua is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-04, 22:34   #7
ComradeHX
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obpmgmua View Post
You know I kinda like it. It balances out semi-auto somewhat. Unlike BF3/4/HL, the higher recoil in semi doesn't diminish from the guns performance. I don't know about the rest of the playerbase, but I prefer aimed accurate shots even well below 50M.
It creates huge imbalance in small arms because anything firing at 600rpm is much less effective than anything firing at 900rpm or higher.

Short range engagement is much more often and important in PR because long range can (sometimes) be avoided.
ComradeHX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-05, 09:42   #8
fromage99

I find that setting
"ObjectTemplate.recoil.goBackOnRecoil 0" back to "ObjectTemplate.recoil.goBackOnRecoil 1"
made recoil between semi-auto and burst/full-auto go back to parity.

However, I find that leaving it set to 0 on weapons that are single-shot, pump-action, or bolt-action works well.
fromage99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-05, 10:18   #9
Souls Of Mischief

Maaaan, Infiltration is still the only game where using semi-auto in CQB was more effective than going full-auto, for the most part, at least. Perhaps I have my nostalgia glasses on, but I remember that being the case.
Souls Of Mischief is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-05, 11:29   #10
Brainlaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souls Of Mischief View Post
Maaaan, Infiltration is still the only game where using semi-auto in CQB was more effective than going full-auto, for the most part, at least. Perhaps I have my nostalgia glasses on, but I remember that being the case.
It was and that shit is what, 15 years old? Too bad it's successor (Phoenix Rising) died out, it looked so promising .
Brainlaag is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
guns, increased, recoil, semiauto