project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
07 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2015-11-25, 20:09   #1
Vista
PR Server License Administrator
Default Vista's brand new gaming PC!

Hello guys,

About a week ago, my GPU on my PC died, and because it's quite old now, I've decided to get a brand new one.

I'm looking for some advice from you guys.

I'll be buying the parts from amazon, so all prices will be in USD. Budget is around 2000EUR, so about 2200$

Here's my list:

CPU: Intel 4790k (300)
CPU COOLER: Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX (130)
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (146)
MEMORY: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (99)
STORAGE: SSD| Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (7 + HDD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (85)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Hybrid (780)
CASE: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 Mid-Tower Case (137)
POWERSUPPLY: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (120)

Total 1995 USD = 1875 EUR

As you can see I have some room for some upgrades. I was looking for the i7 6700k, the skylake cores seem seductive - is it worth the extra money? I'm also looking for some advice on motherboards.

On the case part, the NZXT cases seem really sexy, should I stick with the coolermaster one or should I switch it up for a NZXT one?

Any compability issues?

Please help me out here, criticise my build!
Last edited by Vista; 2015-11-27 at 15:03..
Old 2015-11-26, 00:05   #2
Steeps
Supporting Member

Default Vista's brand new gaming PC!

If you can, you should switch the build to Skylake and DDR4.

Case wise, yes! Go NZXT. I have the H440 and love it.

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-26, 00:36   #3
Geronimo
Default Re: Vista's brand new gaming PC!

As Steeps already said, you have the budget for a 4790k so you have the budget for skylake. I would advise you to go with the 6600k unless you really need hyperthreading.

If you can live with a giant heatsink, buy a Noctua NH-D15 instead of the h100i. It will perform better. (custom watercooling > (high end) air cooling > closed loop watercooling)

I don't know the quality of the powersupply but with a good one you can get away with way less watts. Total powerdraw of your system will be around 475 watts.
Geronimo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-26, 01:35   #4
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

I too would go for 6600. IMHO get the cheapest mobo from a decent make that HAS what you want.

For example I wanted an audio optical out for my soundbar so much nicer quality. Think about Bluetooth and WiFi if your modem is far.

When I built mine recently I only got 8GB of RAM as that's enough for gaming in any case.
Squad on epic uses 4!!!

I also think you are overkill on the PSU, but don't make the same mistake as me and ensure you have enough 12V on one rail for the card.

See kernel power thread......
Last edited by PLODDITHANLEY; 2015-11-26 at 01:43..
Old 2015-11-26, 16:50   #5
X-Alt

Skylake doesn't offer anything outside of DDR4, which is a maturing technology that will take years to get out of CAS Latency hell, just like what has happened with every previous generation of DDR RAM. If he's going to be playing Games like Arma III for example, or even Squad in the near future, the 4790K dunks on anything short of the 6700K. It's also OCd out of the box with tons of more headroom (the H100i can take him to 4.9+ easy). So all in all, take it all day over an overpriced 6700K + DDR4 combo, which costs quite a bit more for no noticeable gain in performance...
X-Alt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-26, 18:10   #6
Vista

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll switch it up for an NZXT case steeps :P

As I'm typing this, the GTX 980ti I want actually went down in price 50$! With that, I'll likely go for the 6700k + DDR4 ram

So, with that in mind, any motherboard recommendations? I'm clueless on motherboards.
Vista is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-26, 18:16   #7
X-Alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll switch it up for an NZXT case steeps :P

As I'm typing this, the GTX 980ti I want actually went down in price 50$! With that, I'll likely go for the 6700k + DDR4 ram

So, with that in mind, any motherboard recommendations? I'm clueless on motherboards.
I'd avoid the 6700K + DDR4, you're blowing $100 on a 5% increase that's completely offset by overclocking just a bit. Eventually it'll get better, but you'll benefit a lot more from a nice case or good motherboard to OC your 4790K for the future. DDR4 won't offer improvement over DDR3 for years to come, as is what happened with all previous generations. It's not worth $100 (here) to go for a 6700K that offers marginal improvements over the 4790K. Put a nice Phanteks Enthoo Pro case if you want something really fresh.

Good boards 120-160 (in USD)

AsRock Z97 Extreme4
ASUS Z97-A
Giga Z97X Gaming-5
Giga Z170X Gaming-5
ASUS Z170M-PLUS
X-Alt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-26, 20:22   #8
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

Depends what you want:

USB 3.0 if so which type?
Bluetooth?
WIFI?
Audio outputs & inputs?

I personally dislike ASus IMHO too many finicky problems.
PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-26, 22:02   #9
Vista

As I said, I have no clue about motherboards.

I'm looking into MSI for the motherboard choice. USB 3.0 would be nice, no WiFi, no bluetooth. Some nice sound is welcomed. However, when I enter the msi website I get rekt with 1654684 types of motherboards all offering some kind of gimmicky technology :P

I still can't really decide between 4790k DDR3 or 6700k DDR4, which makes the motherboard choice even harder. When choosing the CPU, I'm worried about longevity, seeing as intel is at 6th gen already, ins't picking a 4th gen processor a bit against future-proofing, say, in a 2 year timelapse?
Vista is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-27, 09:20   #10
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

The only real problem in the future with a 4790 would be mobo availability if yours dies, but my supplier still has new 775's & 1155's so I don't see that as an issue.
You have more resale with a skylake if you want to upgrade in the future. Some nice sound? - I wanted a Spdif/Toslink/Optical out as my soundbar has that as input and it is far far better quality for example.

If there's no particular features you NEED, which I doubt as even if your needs change internal cards fulfil most needs, cold financial logic would say get older - hell I bought a secondhand 2500k!

the difference between 4 and 6 is going to be what 5-10% FPS?
PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
brand, gaming, vista