project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
30 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2024-02-24, 18:30   #1
guru951
Supporting Member

Default The game, and its community, is in total disarray.

Holy moly...
Who the hell promoted this game to so many....absolute trash players?

If it's not the constant, daily, DDOS attacks across servers, it's the near-complete breakdown of teamwork and cohesion due to language barriers.
If it's not that, it's the constant tk's and unarmed 20-minute dance parties around the ins van playing music while parked next to a cache.

This is so bonkers.
The last time I saw this much stupidity arise in the game was when were given the moon map.

I'm not alone here, am I?

guru951 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-24, 19:52   #2
[R-COM]bad_nade
Support Technician
Supporting Member

Default Re: The game, and its community, is in total disarray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru951 View Post
Holy moly...
Who the hell promoted this game to so many....absolute trash players?

If it's not the constant, daily, DDOS attacks across servers, it's the near-complete breakdown of teamwork and cohesion due to language barriers.
If it's not that, it's the constant tk's and unarmed 20-minute dance parties around the ins van playing music while parked next to a cache.

This is so bonkers.
The last time I saw this much stupidity arise in the game was when were given the moon map.

I'm not alone here, am I?
I've noticed the same. It's not disarray, it's dumpster fire. Multiple times I've seen full Western European server with hardly any SL kits in play, multiple squads with no mics, and of the few peeps that do have a mic no one speaks English nor do they speak the same language as the next squad.
bad_nade is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-25, 18:26   #3
dcm1

I guess I'm shadowbanned by petty reddit user mods.
dcm1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-26, 00:44   #4
robert357

The worst part (if we forget about DDOSing) is number of lonewolfing/freekiting players. In "good old days" at worst it was full squad of these type of players. Now most of the time it's completely opposite where there is only one good squad or at best two full squads.

For me this making PR basically unplayable. Not the skill difference or even a language barrier, but that lack of cooperative play. Every INF is doing own thing (and most of the time half of the team is just messing around) without any coordination, APC is dying alone because *see above*, CAS is frustrated because nobody is lasing and giving info, TRANS is full of crap pilots... I can't even play as a medic because everyone is just giving up...

I understand new players that don't have skill, but man, people full of crap that don't give a damn messing around like it was Casual TF2 server it too much. I never seen so many oldschool SQLs that simply gave up because of that.
robert357 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-26, 06:40   #5
lentilsscare

It's all so familiar too.
lentilsscare is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-26, 16:25   #6
Grump/Gump.45

Of all the cool things I want to get people trying in this game. Playing dead, climbing trees, making the game an intense fight by using suppression and movement.. Like everything you people say here hits the nail on the head. People goofing off making it a poor experience when they could be learning. You got all the combat footage to learn from how to use projectiles purposes over terrain.

On a scale of effectiveness, from 0-10 of fear(0) to kill(10) on effects of projectiles over terrain, their full purpose. You can use bullets to put enemy in fear, for gaining dominance in the battle. When you have a target to hit, that is 10/10 effectiveness intended commonly thought of purpose of the bullet, but sometimes when you can't hit enemy frustratingly, you need them in fear.

We have lots of new players, even if I was playing everyday, too many different shifts for them all to hear the poem and orders "1 man per piece of cover, move cover to cover, in view of each other to save each other, 1 man hit per tank(mortar/RPG/bomb) shell spread formation. Eye level with cover and target zone, scan aggressively with eyes and ears. Camouflage up, in stealth do not fire unless you see the enemy see you, keep eye on them until either we or enemy leave the area. Fight on objectives only".

I say it enough, it amazed people when they first heard it years ago, but now those old players are jaded but they at least subconciously adopted aspects of the poem. Now it is your turn to say it. When WW3 starts a life you cannot imagine, when you go out there men will cuddle each other in fear. Being very spread out could mean lots of artillery casualties at different times, being all in one spot means lots of artillery misses but hits once.

Just because you bunch up and survive doesn't mean its the right thing to do. You could have lost everybody from one shell. 1 man digs each thing please, no helping each other dig, no more than 2 men dig the FOB, assets can be placed once FOB is at 25% status. This provides so many benefits, everything gets done at once. Guys not digging can check ammo, pull security, medic can drop their kit in a foxhole to get a rifleman to dig it, they then have 2 kits to cycle which the rifleman kit can be used for suppression or probing(recon by) fire.

In this simulation, repeated mass casualty incidents from making the same mistakes over and over by players can reduce their will to go out there. Spreading out lets them survive and get what they came for to this game, simulated PTSD of watching their friend die and surviving. Then how bad the sitation gets once outnumbered. Apply this team survival concept of dispersion, thinking it through over all situations

Suppression double sweeps aimed at height of a man into area targets of cover and concealment until a target presents itself." Within your squad you should all be in view of each other, sometime shoots at your man you see it and snap suppression back immediatly to shut that enemy up a bit.

Changes I have tried to make as a player, concepts on how people, especially new squad leaders percieve squads. Like its their own and not the teams squad focused on the objectives. Such small minded objectives they come up with like hunting FOBs that are far away from active objective, enemy is using a closer FOB.

This is a military simulation game going for realism on 45 to 90 minute battles on average, sometimes people just make it last 20 minutes, both the team that sucks and the team that is steam rolling when they could have some fun eating the enemy away, then enemy getting steam rolled can try things coming out of their base.

I feel like we need ticket bleed start delay, cause instant ticket bleed for last flag loss gives no way of making a comeback at a rate of losing 1 ticket per second. Give 10 minutes incase the tanks aren't up yet.

Even when people are playing "right". I feel like the way people go after FOBs so far away from active objectives, not helping on the objectives. Then the fact I come to this game to simulate fighting, removing the enemy FOBs which are perfect distance for them to take more time to travel for down time between intense fighting, they are coming anyways. Removing the FOB removes the fight.

The 20 minute un-armed dance parties around the party van. I might join in for 5 seconds, both for the little amusement it gives me but also to set an example of how long you should actually be doing that.

This game is so great, you can do anything you set your mind to, thinking of all the little details of how you will do it. They could just fight around the cache with the party van as the areas fighting music, just have somebody keep playing it.

Although the party van music reduces situational awareness and focus. Its things like this, put a thought in their head other than their amused emptiness of a silly dopamine rush. Briefing time should allow us to walk around in main, lock us in main for 2 minutes before squad time, join a squad. This way we can actually brief, get the goofiness out, a little bit of target practice on posters maybe. Go over the tactics.

Its a game, but older players instill discipline to keep fighting, to keep growing from playing this game. Point them to the greatest skills in the game, the coolest tricks to pull on enemy like playing dead. So satisfying.

I will list everything fun I do in PR.. Playing dead, climbing trees, big defensive super FOBs that can suppress defensively or even help with the attack at least 1-10% effectiveness over the distance, I get in a car to follow enemy logi trucks for amusements. Its really endless. I like blocking the IDF into their main on Gaza at Lima 12, Mike 9, J6, H6 and the coast line. Done it so many times I got the grids memorized.
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-26, 16:39   #7
[R-COM]bad_nade
Support Technician
Supporting Member

After thinking this a bit more, this current situation has some PR "v0.6" era vibes. Back then the gameplay was more arcade than milsim that it is (or designed to be) today. There was some teamwork but mostly within a squad and not so much across the whole team. In fact, I'm quite sure that if I could find those old friends I used to play with back in the days, we could have really good time again, especially on ins maps. There was no need to speak broken English or even communicate with other squads. We just went and rushed caches with such dominance that more than once we were accused of ghosting. It was super fun - for us.
Last edited by bad_nade; 2024-02-26 at 16:47..
Old 2024-02-26, 19:58   #8
PatrickLA_CA
Supporting Member

I don't know what's going on too, but it has managed to make me stay away from PR for the time being. CTDs, DDOSes, low player counts didn't, but this influx of (why are they always Russian) non-teamworking players occupying EU and NA servers has managed to get me to move on, at least for the time being.

I know what you'll say, us older PR players should be patient with the newbies, teach them how to play properly and I have always agreed with that and always welcome new people in my squad and help them out. But to do that, they have to be able to understand you and be able to communicate with you.

In-game: Cobra-PR
PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-26, 23:59   #9
Grump/Gump.45

At least 2 incidents I can remember playing today that happened over 2 matches.

I was gunning the the Arbalet on Vadso, got moving to a new location, I pull off the side of the road completely for 2 incoming trucks, a transport and a logi.

It was 2 Russians, one named zxcAloha drove straight towards me because he is a troll and hits me with the transport truck throwing me all over the road, I then hit the logi and exploded.

Its more than that, just a lot of little things, on Saaremaa today one of them was a medic just standing next to me calling medic on commorose not getting anybody up. Just stood there till mortars took him out next to my wounded body.

Then KartoplaKa and another squad member of his, drove a 2 logi trucks into Orisaaree on Saaremma, straight into the middle of the road of the flag. Left the logi trucks there under a rain of mortar fire and kill zone for the enemy, too much tasking for me to save at least one.

Another day on Charlies Point, we had lost our logi to something, then as I am running towards the transport truck I can use for more unlimted ammo runs for our 3 NVA HMGs (2 HMG ,1 AA Dshk). They are between the Docks flag and the southern map edge route flag, closer to docks. They get in the truck to drive to docks, then get blown up by a LAT...

Its like, how do we explain people here can set up an intense suppression tactical advantage that plays out like a Michael Bay directed Hollywood movie. We know better than them.

We need a 10 ticket limit per person too, die 10 times then you can just watch the map. I have seen between 12 and 20+ deaths. I personally stop between 7 and 10, cause I am not worth 20 tickets for my team unless we got 1000.

1000+ tickets on each map would be apprieciated too, with the bleed delay. They waste so many tickets. So many new ones, I know why its a big deal they have a free simulator to play for them.

Its like I said in long posts about the effects of Call of Duty and similar FPS games. Things so ridiculous I wouldn't even touch like Fortnite too.

I suspect mass lead poisoning in the pipes and other living environment neurodegenerative toxins. Old Soviet infrastructure. I only drink bottle water and cook with bottle water as much as possible. Extra filter on the sink.

https://prstats.tk/match/120646/saaremaa
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-02-27, 08:50   #10
waldov

Its definitely rough right now, but my inner optimist likes to think it'll just be a phase.

Its certainly not the first time PR's online community has been in the dumps or bombarded by claims of the game "being dead" for the 100th time.

it was only a month ago I was playing on The PIT and 777 regularly with full servers even during the week, most squads using mics, plenty of experienced players on both sides, maybe a couple no mics/Russians (not discriminating just unavoidable fact) filling in the ranks but not causing too much trouble. 500-600+ players during peak times regularly.

Now the weekend just past I struggled to get a worthwhile game on any server during peak times, the DDoSing was insufferable and population was dismal considering a weekend.

But in-spite of it all we have some pretty good admins these days for the most part, not as power tripping/perma-ban happy as those of the past (a handful of exceptions), the influx of new Russian players is slowly starting to thin out off too the next tik-tok hype, there's a great looking update just around the corner (soon(tm)). Its just the ebs and flows of a small, tight nit community game battling with the occasional nonsense and toxicity of the gaming community as a whole.

It will pass, PRs still a special game and theres still a solid great community at the heart of it, good players always find there way back and the bullshit falls to the wayside sooner or later.
waldov is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
state of the game