project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-02, 12:03   #1
LMLM111
Default Spawning on unknown and ruining game - ideas to fix

I've had some ideas on how to reduce/eliminate this issue with PR where people spawn on unknown and lead the enemy right to it and ruin the game for their teammates. Please consider including these ideas into PR to make it a better game:
  • No cache should be directly spawnable. Instead a random spawn or two within 150m or even 200m should appear. Caches aren't rally points and PR should not use them as such.
  • I have two ideas on spawns. (1) just use a nearby empty cache location as a spawn. (2) place a few dozen dedicated spawn locations on the maps (more work) and then randomly pick between two or three of the ones nearest the cache. You might consider still having these spawns show something on the ground that can be destroyed/knifed by blufor for a few intel points. Think of it as an automated hideout system that should greatly reduce cache givaways.
  • Perhaps no usable weapons should be on the cache because they are locked and stored, but instead place weapons in insurgent homes or other places that could appear on the opfor map, perhaps at several unused cache locations. These weapons in homes (and other places) could still be destroyed by Blufor but would not count as a real cache location because it would just be a weapon or two at each spot. Consider this a sort of 'weapons confiscation' idea. This would stop people from picking up RPG/PKM on cache and giving away its location. Each confiscation could still give a few intel points. Knifing/arresting the weapon in its resting place would confiscate it. Also this would make the game easier and more fun to play for newcomers as they would feel more empowered running around the map to get weapons. It's the inexperienced players who are too often giving away the cache locations so they need other places to get weapons. Kits might respawn after two or three minutes from being taken.
  • In addition to the previous idea, insurgents should only see only nearby weapon locations and not see them across the whole map. Maybe within 200m. (can BF2 engine do this?)
  • Killing a player who has confiscated weapons should perhaps drop the confiscated kits on the ground. I can see that happening in real life.. Insurgents chasing down US soldiers to get weapons back. We'd need some way to destroy the weapons after confiscation. Maybe only squad leaders can destroy them, while any soldier carrying a weapon can confiscate.
  • As an alternative idea, we could still have special weapons available on caches, but still use the idea mentioned above of randomly placing lots of weapons around the map for opfor to grab so that an RPG fired doesn't automatically scream "cache right here come get me!"
  • All caches should still supply ammo.

Old 2011-08-02, 12:22   #2
Gracler

Default Re: Spawning on unknown and ruining game - ideas to fix

Most of your ideas seems rather technical and perhaps overly complicated to implement, but I also favour that unknown caches are not spawn-able and that single weapons are spawned around the map to make them more accessible without getting an instant kick.

Id also like to see static re-supply areas or just more ammo trucks... 1 or 2 ammo trucks for 32 people isnt really going to cut it.
Old 2011-08-02, 13:02   #3
Kwalc297
Supporting Member

Well nowadays it dsnt rly matter much. Everyone already knows the cache location spawns on most maps. so there always a couple of sqds looking for unknowns. And their gonna find them. thats why we see the "zomg ghosting" all the time on some servers. its not because they are ghosting, its because after years of playing, people already know where they spawn, so they just go and look. if your lucky(and you mostly are when your sqd is dedicated to unknowns) you'll get caches all the time.

I think new cache spawns are in order more than anything else.
Old 2011-08-02, 13:32   #4
Gracler

I also think that the "surprise" factor is at an all time low, since all that has been playing pr regularly knows where to look for unknowns.

Here is what i suggested in another thread about "spawning on unknown cache"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracler
In my opinion unknown caches should have a ridiculous high hit-point value, that will prevent it from being taken out by 2 or 3 army guys until it is "known" (many changes has been made not to make PR be a spec ops game so it makes no sence for 2-3 army men to get the job done imo)

To me it doesn't make sense that Blue-for starts searching a "city" and stumble on a cache and take it out without resistance (they only act on Intel from locals or from surveillance anything else is pure luck)...... if you where an insurgent you wouldn't leave your precious "im angry with the world tools " unattended, so if they DO get so lucky they would have to call in a buck-load of demolition experts to take it out. if it is known then it should be how it is now.

I know that for reality it will not make sense (but it doesn't make sense already)... but it would improve game-play for insurgents IMO and it would remove the rage of games ending early because of ghosting .... or "noob" behavior of giving away the cache location.

Someone is probably gonna argue that this would make all attacks focused on the one known cache.... but I dont see the problem with that. It makes for a good firefight.

Technically I image this could be done by spawn caches with lets say 100.000 hit-points and by the time they get "known" it looses 90.000 hit-points (im not familiar with the actual values used in the game)

This way if the blue-for finds a cache it would reverse the roles... the US would have to defend the area until they get enough explosives to arrive or "Intel"... tbh it could make some interesting fights instead of just "BOOM" wtf? how did they find that cache?"
Old 2011-08-02, 13:34   #5
Lugi

This is gonna get locked, suggestions forum is still closed cause only two weeks have passed since release and not everyone have play the new PR.
Old 2011-08-02, 13:35   #6
Mongolian_dude
Retired Moderator

Im afraid you have posted these suggestions in the wrong forum. Suggestions belong in the Suggestions Forum, which operates on a submission-moderation basis. You are also required to have a minimum post count which prevents people from registering to post "Less deviation. more jets. stronger rpgs. kthxbi".

In light of the above, this thread is now closed.

...mongol...

Military lawyers engaged in fierce legal action.
Closed Thread

Tags
fix, game, ideas, ruining, spawning, unknown