project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Map Strategies
23 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2011-07-26, 16:57   #1
Xander[nl]
Supporting Member

Default Al Basrah - NE isle

I really like this map and mostly lead British squads, but I'm always left clueless when we need to assault a cache on the north-eastern island; the suburb island east of the hotel and north of the palace. It's a bloody deathtrap, and you can't build a FOB anywhere near it (unless you have half your team defending the palace and build it there). Going there by river [moving in from the north] is almost always futile.

Problem I experience here is that the Brits have no CAS or flanking routes to take out an insurgent hideout. Even if APCs can still get to the palace, they have no sight on the northern part of the isle.

The only thing I can think of is having one squad set up and defend an FOB at the palace and use it as a staging point to launch a team-wide assault on the entire island. But it's next to impossible to arrange such a thing on a public server, and it will likely end up in 20 deaths anyway.

So... anyone has ideas or tactics on how to overcome this deathtrap?

Xander[nl] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 17:25   #2
tommytgun
Default Re: Al Basrah - NE isle

What I usually do as a British SL when we get an island cache is set up a fob on the way eastern island over the long bridge (M/L column) and defend it, pinning the insurgents down with .50's and tow's and stuff, while other guys swim over the river to the island to try to get the cache, seems to work pretty well (unless the insurgents have good mortars lol)
tommytgun is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 07:54   #3
dtacs
Supporting Member

Creating a huge distraction is really the only way you can get it, with another squad pushing in elsewhere.

This map has been repeating on NwA for the past 2 weeks (nightly) and I've perfected an assault, dependent on whether or not the cache is placed within the northern vicinity of the island. The best way is to really swim a whole squad across from the Refinery and just rush it whilst an APC or other infantry squads suppress from the palace.

Of course with the proper command and players in charge, the British can effortlessly shut down the island (or entire map for that matter).
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 10:31   #4
Curry
Supporting Member

move over to the M-island. get a FOB and an AA up. start random fire at the island and u will get the cache.

Curry is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 20:01   #5
pr0Life

Where can you swim in Al Basrah?

Swimming near the mansion hurts when I'm playing insurgent. However, when playing British, I recall being able to swim from the suburbs to the hotel.
pr0Life is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-21, 04:41   #6
fillsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0Life View Post
Where can you swim in Al Basrah?

Swimming near the mansion hurts when I'm playing insurgent. However, when playing British, I recall being able to swim from the suburbs to the hotel.
Don't spawn in as a civie and you'll be able to swim. Spawn in as an insurgent warrior because even if you change your civie kit you still get the swimming penalty.
fillsson is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
basrah, isle