project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2010-08-15, 10:33   #1
VapoMan
Retired PR Developer

Default [Map] Operation Hailstorm (4km) [WIP]

Operation HailStorm WIP

Operation Hailstorm is a 4km jungle island map based off the real world island of Tonoas (also known as Dublon Island) located in the Truk lagoon, in the central Pacific north of New Guinea.

Currently the map is a work in progress with around 65% complete.
I still have to place a whole lot of village statics and make the military island look military, lightmap and tweak the current overgorwth and undergrowth.

The name "operation hailstorm" is from the original world war 2 "operation hailstone" which took place in the same lagoon. Many Japanese wrecks still remain there today.

The story is that the USMC and ADF forces are taking back the group in the Truk lagoon which has been captured by the PLA. This is just one of the many battles happening in the area (the whole lagoon is very big).

The battleplan for this island is the USMC (or ADF) must secure the large island before trying to invade the small Fortified military island to the south.
The PLA is counter attacking, they are trying to drive the enemy out of the area by taking the large island first, forcing the USMC to retreat.

It will focus mainly on infantry but will also feature: light (maybe heavy) attack choppers, transport choppers, boats, apcs, AAVPs and light land vehciles. If the harrier can actually be made to land on a carrier (I havnt been able to do it) I might incude it with a PLA jet also.

The current teams featured are USMC vs PLA. This may change in the future, but for me to include a community faction I will need to change some features of the map such as the US carrier. I would still be happy to use a community faction anyway as long as they have aquotic apcs ect.

Photobucket albulm:
Operation Hailstorm pictures by vapoman - Photobucket

Albulm of reference photos of the island (NOT MINE):
Picasa Web Albums - Sunkmail - Dublon Island...

OLD download v0.8 Test version:
Download operation_hailstorm_14_oct.rar

Installation:
delete any old versions of operation hailstorm in this directory:
program files>EA GAMES>Battlefield2>mods>pr>levels
Then exract the downloaded file with WINRAR into the levels directory.
You should now have a folder called operation hailstorm containing info, client.zip and server.zip in your levels forlder.
Installation complete.

"Eight glorious sides and eight stunning angles!"
Last edited by VapoMan; 2010-12-01 at 04:26.. Reason: update
Old 2010-08-15, 10:36   #2
VapoMan
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: [WIP] Operation Hailstorm 4km

Dammit, I forgot to change the title of the thread.

Can an RMOD please change it to

[Map] Operation Hailstorm (4km) [WIP]

Sorry about that.

EDIT: Thanks

VapoMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-15, 10:38   #3
maarit
Supporting Member

Default Re: [WIP] Operation Hailstorm 4km

hmm...it just...well..im not sure but....

ou mai gaaad!!!!

this looks perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hope that its not too heavy map for perfomance thing...but....its super

downloaded and testing right now

i added one pic to show that there is problem in bridge area but you gonna tweak those under/overgrowth anyway so im not gonna put anymore pics...
keep it going
Attached Thumbnails
BF2 2010-08-15 14-01-54-87.jpg  
Last edited by maarit; 2010-08-15 at 11:06..
Old 2010-08-15, 11:09   #4
Snazz
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Map] Operation Hailstorm (4km) [WIP]

Considered using the latest jungle statics?

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f35...ml#post1393881

Quote:
Originally Posted by VapoMan View Post
The current teams featured are USMC vs PLA. This may change in the future, but for me to include a community faction I will need to change some features of the map such as the US carrier. I would still be happy to use a community faction anyway as long as they have aquotic apcs ect.
The ADF and USMC do joint amphibious exercises IRL, so you could have the ADF faction using the Essex and AAVs.

Exercise Talisman Sabre:

Essex Completes Successful Talisman Saber ‘09 - Mentions that ADF Blackhawks also operated from the Essex.
Last edited by Snazz; 2010-08-15 at 11:44..
Old 2010-08-15, 11:18   #5
Brainlaag

WOW I love jungle/forest maps. I always thought Barracuda was cool, but damn compared to your island it looks like crap. Awesome under/overgrowth I'm ready for some intense firefights in OP Ghost Train style
Brainlaag is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-15, 12:03   #6
alexandrei07
Banned

Nice Jungle..downloading !
alexandrei07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-15, 13:49   #7
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Cool, although I feel your carrier is too close to the shore line. You need a 800m min VD for choppers and if your also going to think about putting jets on this map you need it to be 1km and your carrier looks like its within 800m of the shore line. I would be tempted to rearrange your map layout and put the carrier in the bottom left corner.

Your satellite image as your colourmap is fine for now while working its what I also do but I would look into replacing it further down the line with a new colourmap as your one right now dosen't look very good on foot etc.

Anyways keep up the good work, the map has some potential

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-15, 14:33   #8
VapoMan
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Cool, although I feel your carrier is too close to the shore line. You need a 800m min VD for choppers and if your also going to think about putting jets on this map you need it to be 1km and your carrier looks like its within 800m of the shore line. I would be tempted to rearrange your map layout and put the carrier in the bottom left corner.

Your satellite image as your colourmap is fine for now while working its what I also do but I would look into replacing it further down the line with a new colourmap as your one right now dosen't look very good on foot etc.

Anyways keep up the good work, the map has some potential
The current colour map will be replaced in future, im just using to see where to put things.

Its pretty hard to up the overgrowth viewdistance (level viewdistance is 800) when you have 50000+ overgrowth objects, thats why ive used a stormy/mist effect. I could probably turn it up now as ive lowered the number from 70000+ and ive got enough FPS to.

If the carrier was in the bottom left corner than it would right next to the military island which I dont want to move for realism. I could move it to the top right hand corner so there is less land near it.

And jets are a BIG MAYBE. Even Heavy attack choppers are. The only reason I have them in the test map is so I could see what its like with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazz View Post
Considered using the latest jungle statics?

The ADF and USMC do joint amphibious exercises IRL, so you could have the ADF faction using the Essex and AAVs.
Yes I was thinking of using the Jungle overgrowth but I forgot about it. It wouldnt be to hard to impelent it, just need to replace the new with the old.

I didnt know about the US and ADF working together like that, looks like I could use them after all.

I already know about that dogey road, thanks for letting me know anyway

Thanks guys

VapoMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-15, 14:49   #9
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VapoMan View Post
The current colour map will be replaced in future, im just using to see where to put things.

Its pretty hard to up the overgrowth viewdistance (level viewdistance is 800) when you have 50000+ overgrowth objects, thats why ive used a stormy/mist effect. I could probably turn it up now as ive lowered the number from 70000+ and ive got enough FPS to.

If the carrier was in the bottom left corner than it would right next to the military island which I dont want to move for realism. I could move it to the top right hand corner so there is less land near it.

And jets are a BIG MAYBE. Even Heavy attack choppers are. The only reason I have them in the test map is so I could see what its like with them.

Aint looked at your test build I'm just going off the overview and screenshots.

Map's VD is going to need to be over 800 if you want choppers otherwise your just down to land vehicles. It is possible to work with the OG with large VD you just need to be careful how you use it and maybe optimize in other areas.

I was also not suggesting you move the island, you can quite easily move the PLA main itself onto the NE or even NW edge of the map and use the island for anouther purpose like a small PLA fortification that needs to be taken.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-15, 15:02   #10
Zulnex
Supporting Member

Very nice screenshots. Excellent work.

Zulnex is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
4km, hailstorm, map, operation, wip