project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
22 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2013-10-27, 04:08   #1
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Red face New GFX Card for Whino

Hey all,

Looks like my trusty 5yr old GTX260 wont cover it any more so looking at upgrading it

Really looking for something that's got a lot of bang for its buck and is going to last quite some time, as you can see I milked my last card for 5yrs and would like to do the same kinda thing again.
On top of bang for buck I would also like a card that is pretty quiet, spent quite a bit on making my system as quiet as possible and my GTX260 is the nosiest thing in it currently so would be nice to replace it with something quieter
Multi-monitor support is also a pretty high thing on my agenda. My current GTX260 only supports two screens which is currently what I have but ideally want more than that, so looking for 3+ screens supported really.

I've not looked into GFX cards for some time so would appreciate some advice on the matter. Not got a budget per say, but looking for something that as I said, has the most bang for its buck so if there is an expensive card out there that can justify its price, I will very well consider it but the cheaper the better really

My current system specs:
Mobo: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1)
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache Processor
RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A2000C9 DDR3 XMS3 (8GB)
PSU: Corsair 850W HX 80+ Gold Modular PSU

Currently I have my eye on this MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr OC 2GB GDDR5 card which I can get from ebuyer for 210 quid with 20 quid off. Read a couple of reviews and looks to be very quiet, has support for four screens and pretty good bang for its buck but I would really like to hear what you guys think and if there are any better alternatives
MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr Gaming 2 GB Review | techPowerUp
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...-oc-2gb-revie/

Cheers!

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 2013-10-27 at 04:28..
Old 2013-10-27, 06:24   #2
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member
Default Re: New GFX Card for Whino

MSI twinfrozr
Gigabyte Windforce
Asus DCU2
EVGA has a few models, ACX are the most expensive due to best OC and best lifetime warranty.

Non-reference GeForce GTX 760 comparison - YouTube

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 06:31   #3
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Heat, Noise, And Cooling - GeForce GTX 760 Review: GK104 Shows Up (And Off) At $250

That MSI looks like one of the best options for heat/noise .
If the price is competitive, looks like a good bet.

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 07:33   #4
DesmoLocke
Supporting Member

The GTX 760 is a strong card and a definite best "bang for the buck" contender. It meets all your requirements and should last you a few years.

But if you can hold of purchasing till after the release of the 780 Ti and closer to Christmas, you should find better deals.

PR player since 0.5 (Feb 2007)
DesmoLocke is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 10:56   #5
Daniel
Banned
Supporting Member

I'd go for the 770 model, which will more probably last 5 years with enough power.

MSI Global N770 TF 4GD5/OC

The 2 GB model is cheaper.
Last edited by Daniel; 2013-10-27 at 11:06..
Old 2013-10-27, 12:00   #6
Careless

That's the best deal you can get (if considering only nVidia)
Now you just have to find the best model to fit your needs. I heard that buying a 760 with 4GB can help you playing games at high resolution or double screens, but I've also done some research and it says that the 760 is not capable to use all of the 4GB and that 2GB is enough for hardcore gaming.

I wouldn't go higher because the price/performanse ratio goes down dramaticaly. For instance, a 780 is not worth the 500 (?) bucks/euro at this moment
Careless is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 12:27   #7
Cossack
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd View Post
MSI twinfrozr
Gigabyte Windforce
Asus DCU2
EVGA has a few models, ACX are the most expensive due to best OC and best lifetime warranty.

Non-reference GeForce GTX 760 comparison - YouTube
What Lito says... GTX 760 is very solid card

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 14:42   #8
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Cheers for the feedback so far guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoLocke View Post
But if you can hold of purchasing till after the release of the 780 Ti and closer to Christmas, you should find better deals.
Do we have any idea when that will be excatly? I can hold off for a bit but buying closer to xmas is normally I find a bad idea as prices seem to hold pretty high till after that on basically everything?

I also am planning on upgrading before December but if its really worth the money or other possibilities open up I could possibly wait on it but not sure its such a good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
That's the best deal you can get (if considering only nVidia)
If anyone has any good AMD/ATI suggestions then I'm willing to hear them. Haven't used ATI in about 10yrs now since their drivers where just shocking back then. If they have gotten much better since then and have "more bang for their buck" than nVidia, as well as the other options then willing to consider them sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
I heard that buying a 760 with 4GB can help you playing games at high resolution or double screens, but I've also done some research and it says that the 760 is not capable to use all of the 4GB and that 2GB is enough for hardcore gaming.
Looks like an extra 50quid for 4GB of RAM from what I can tell. Currently my primary screen runs at 1920x1080 and secondary (which I don't currently use for 3D stuff) runs at 1680x1050 and probably wont be going for 3D surround gaming for some time, main reason for me to get more screens is just to put refs etc up on them when I'm modelling and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
I'd go for the 770 model, which will more probably last 5 years with enough power.

MSI Global N770 TF 4GD5/OC

The 2 GB model is cheaper.
770 looks to be around 100 quid more than the 760, is it really worth that price hike?

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 14:58   #9
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

770 is really good from what I can tell, definitely worth the price difference if you have the ability to spend a bit more. I am personally following the GPU news myself as I want to buy a new card next year. But with AMD's Mantle coming up I want to see what Nvidia's response will be. (price cuts, new cards,...)

But that's just personal I think and depends on how you like to spend your budget. But yeah, the performance difference is worth the money. Although the 760 is probably better price/performance wise. As it's pretty damn cheap

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 15:35   #10
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Well if we also put the 770 into the loop, got two options that I can see. The first is the MIS GTX 770 TF for 305 quid (23 quid off) and the second is the Gigabyte GTX 770 OC for 300 quid (50 quid off)
MSI GTX 770 TwinFrozr Gaming 2 GB Review | techPowerUp
Gigabyte GTX 770 WindForce OC 2 GB Review | techPowerUp

Looking at reviews the Gigabyte is the better card and is also slightly cheaper, but is slightly nosier with a load noise of 33dbA compared to the MSI's 29dbA but my PSU goes up to 35dbA on full load so shouldn't be too bad.

With the 50 quid off, the Gigabyte card certainly gets more bang for its buck, in fact very slightly more then the MIS 760 so I'm pretty tempted to go with the Gigabyte GTX 770 OC if you guys think its a good deal?

Cheers!

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
card, gfx, whino