project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
22 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2014-10-27, 23:48   #1
DatDere
Banned
Default 24" 1080p gaming monitor

I currently have a 5 year old 22,5" full HD 60Hz LG monitor. I think it's pretty terrible - I can't see shit in dark areas and it has back-light bleed. Lately I started bumping up the contrast to 100 just so I could spot stuff on most PR maps (Fools road, Iron Ridge, Dragon Fly, Saarema...) and it's better, but it makes other stuff look terrible. So I've decided to buy a new one.

With me owning a GTX-770 and Nvidia G-Sync being available I don't see a reason not to go for on of the G-Sync monitors. The one I have in mind is the new BenQ XL2420g.

It has everything classic BenQ monitors offer - like Black equalizer, Zero flicker etc plus it supports G-Sync. Seems like the best choice.

If you don't know about G-Synce here's a decent video showcasing it:

Any thought on G-Sync, gaming monitors or BenQ?

Thanks!
DatDere is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 18:07   #2
DesmoLocke
Supporting Member

Default Re: 24" 1080p gaming monitor

I'm in the market for a Gsync monitor as well. I originally had my sights on the awesome ROG Swift, but with their limited availability and with me in the middle of moving, I haven't tried buying one yet.

I figured I would try a cheaper option before dropping $800 on the Swift. I thought about the ASUS VG248QE and installing the Gsync kit myself that Nvidia sells, but I can't find the kit anywhere for it's original price of $199. Can you? I now have an AOC monitor in mind too.

I'm surprised more PR players haven't thought about trying Gsync out. From what I've heard, it really helps the game feel smooth when the frames drop to about 30 and we all know that happens in PR quite often unless you've got a beastly CPU. Well, it's probably silly to buy a new monitor for such an old mod, but I've done it before. I for one can't wait to try it.

PR player since 0.5 (Feb 2007)
DesmoLocke is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 20:08   #3
matty1053
Default Re: 24" 1080p gaming monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoLocke View Post
I'm in the market for a Gsync monitor as well. I originally had my sights on the awesome ROG Swift, but with their limited availability and with me in the middle of moving, I haven't tried buying one yet.

I figured I would try a cheaper option before dropping $800 on the Swift. I thought about the ASUS VG248QE and installing the Gsync kit myself that Nvidia sells, but I can't find the kit anywhere for it's original price of $199. Can you? I now have an AOC monitor in mind too.
Not bad of a price! ^.^ I'll try to invest in a new gaming monitor in the future, or even a <32" LED TV, since most, if not all of the newer Gfx cards have HDMI... It could be worth it.

But going for LED monitors is the way to go, they are generally inexpensive and do not use as much electricity as LCD, ect.
matty1053 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
1080p, gaming, monitor