project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
22 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2015-02-15, 04:02   #1
Steeps
Supporting Member

Default Shopping for New Monitor

Alright. So the time has come that I feel I should upgrade to an actual gaming monitor. I just use a basic 23" Acer S232hl and I'm just tired of it. The worst thing for me with this monitor are black levels and constantly feeling like the monitor is washed out. The 5ms response isn't fun either. It also takes longer to turn on and warm up than it takes my computer to boot. (Really not kidding, my Windows 8.1 will boot faster and be waiting on the log in screen for my password before the monitor turns on.)

Also have a second 21" Dell with great colors. Love it, but not a gaming monitor.

I am really looking to make an investment here. There are two main options I am looking at right now. It is essentially: To G-Sync or not to G-Sync?

I have a GTX 680 and will most likely never buy an AMD card (just not my thing). I really like the features of G-Sync, making gameplay super smooth even with changes in FPS, but I have no local computer store to ever see a G-Sync monitor without buying one online.

I am interested in 144hz gaming but I don't feel the need for 1440p (don't think the 680 can really handle 1440p anyway).

I need to specify I want a 24" monitor. Don't have the desk space for 27".

Max budget is $500. Any other suggestions are appreciated!

What I have in mind now are:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-g-sy...&skuId=1445028
and
http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-Performan.../dp/B00M8E0K06

Last edited by Steeps; 2015-02-15 at 04:09..
Old 2015-02-15, 12:59   #2
ComedyInK

Default Re: Shopping for New Monitor

Gsync is ghay, get the BenQs which will have freesyce, don't support closed proprietary crap.

Nvidia Promises Support For AMD FreeSync - Adaptive Sync Gets Green Light [Updated]

Wait for the new BenQs to come out

BENQ confirms 144Hz FreeSync! | Blur Busters
ComedyInK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-15, 14:44   #3
Steeps
Supporting Member

Yeah, that was an option. I may just have to wait for more monitors with DisplayPort 1.2a or 1.3. Just been itching to get a new monitor.

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-20, 11:20   #4
inb4banned

I got the XL2420G few days ago and can only say good things. G-Sync removes any stuttering and screen tearing from PR which is pretty impressive. It really does work as they advertise it. 30FPS feels like 70, 60 feels like 100+. It's a TN panel so it has great response times (about 7ms).

Blur reduction is another area you should really be looking into. I can read all street names no problem.
inb4banned is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-20, 14:15   #5
Steeps
Supporting Member

Well.... looks like I might want to pick up one of these: CES 2015: ASUS MG279Q 27-in 2560x1440 IPS 120 Hz Variable Refresh Monitor | PC Perspective

27 in.
1440p
120hz
IPS
Under $600
and.... DisplayPort 1.2a

Definitely, definitely need one of these.

Old 2015-02-20, 15:50   #6
inb4banned

IPS panel = better colour and viewing angles but also higher response times. Obviously depends on what you're buying it for. Also 27" and 1440p is kind of meh for FPS games. The price looks incredible.
inb4banned is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-20, 23:20   #7
ShockUnitBlack

Asus VG248QE is very popular. I use it. 144hz is definitely worth it.
ShockUnitBlack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-20, 23:26   #8
Steeps
Supporting Member

Very casual gamer so I love great colors. Been waiting for an IPS gaming monitor at 120+ hz.

Old 2015-02-21, 17:40   #9
Leopardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by inb4banned View Post
IPS panel = better colour and viewing angles but also higher response times. Obviously depends on what you're buying it for. Also 27" and 1440p is kind of meh for FPS games. The price looks incredible.
Yeah if you play bright candyland games only, if there's a hint of black the IPS glow makes it a total fail as they just don't use polarization anymore to remove that.
Leopardi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-21, 17:50   #10
Steeps
Supporting Member

Default Shopping for New Monitor

Now what about AHVA monitors?

Tags
monitor, shopping