project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights > PR Dev Journal Archives > 2009
25 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-04, 13:02   #1
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default [Statics] The ACVs (Armoured Command Vehicles)

Around a year ago we (the PR team) decided that we needed to replace the old Command Post, currently using the vBF2 UAV Trailer model with something a little more realistic, how ever this would be a low priority task.

But now we can present to you the replacement, our new Armoured Command Vehicles (ACV)!

An Armoured Command Vehicle is basically a vehicle with lots of radio and communication equipment in it that can be used to coordinate a battle/operation from a relatively safe distance while still being in touch with the battle/operation.

Commonly you will see an ACV parked up with a tent pitched beside/onto it with lots of equipment setup in it.

[R-DEV]Stigger has Modelled and Textured a generic tent for all our ACVs as well as modelling lots of interior objects and props, including the British Army Bowman Communication Equipment

He has also created some nice little props for each faction

Lets come back to our ACVs for a bit. Our main ACV for you today is the British Army FV105 Sultan CVR(T), which this whole project of replacing the old command post has revolved around. The Sultan was Modelled by [R-DEV]Undies and [R-DEV]Stigger, Textured by [R-DEV]Stigger and Exported by [R-DEV]Rhino.

Our next ACV is the M1130 Stryker for the US Army, which uses the same model that is currently ingame with a few small adjustments.

The USMC have got the old LAV-25 which is a place holder for the LAV-C2 or an AAVC7A1 in the future.

The Canadian Forces will be using the ACV variant of the LAV-III, which is basically the same as the LAV-III with a few small internal differences (Still WIP).

The IDF will be getting the M557 which is the ACV variant of the M113, model courtesy of EOD.

The MEC will have to settle with the good old BTR-60 for now, which is a place holder for BTR-60PU.

The PLA will be using the WZ551A as a place holder for the ACV variant of the WZ551.

And the Russians will also have to settle with the BTR-60 which is a place holder for the BTR-80K

This has been very much a team effort on working on getting this all done and many names who have helped work on this project have not been mentioned such as our MAs who have gathered up lots of useful info on these

We hope you like what's coming and we hope to develop this more in the future

Last edited by Stigger; 2009-11-06 at 23:01.. Reason: coupla typos / added image link
Old 2009-11-04, 13:52   #2
Draakon
Default Re: [Statics] The ACVs (Armoured Command Vehicles)

Wohooo! But they will act as a normal command post aka they can't be moved nor shot from?

Edit: :O, first.
Old 2009-11-04, 13:52   #3
CareBear

NICE!

Old 2009-11-04, 13:55   #4
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draakon View Post
Wohooo! But they will act as a normal command post aka they can't be moved nor shot from?

Edit: :O, first.
Nope, they are stationary and there weapons will be unusable since there wouldn't be any point since they will be hidden away in a protected spot in the team's main base pretty much

Old 2009-11-04, 13:57   #5
Draakon

But will the commander sit inside the ACV or can he interact outside as well?
Old 2009-11-04, 13:59   #6
Spuz36

Will make the Main bases feel all nice, cozy, and homey now At least the Co will not be glaring at us anymore.

*Edit: You know what would be neat, have the map and laptop display the actual map it is on, but I imagine that would be a larger task than thought, a separate map for each map...
Old 2009-11-04, 14:13   #7
Adriaan
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

That's great!
I love the faction specific props .
I also noticed the stryker ACV is sand-coloured. Will the normal stryker get this paint as well?

Old 2009-11-04, 14:15   #8
Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuz36 View Post
Will make the Main bases feel all nice, cozy, and homey now At least the Co will not be glaring at us anymore.

*Edit: You know what would be neat, have the map and laptop display the actual map it is on, but I imagine that would be a larger task than thought, a separate map for each map...
Attention to detail is what makes a good game great. That would be a nice touch

I was hoping the PR team would come up with something like this as the trailer is dump.

IMO - the commander should be vulnerable with this new implementation. I'm not sure where you intend to position the player when they "enter" the ACV but they should not have the god-like immortality that the current commanders have.
Old 2009-11-04, 14:15   #9
*APG* <=130192=>

But it can be destroyed?
Old 2009-11-04, 14:17   #10
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriaan View Post
That's great!
I noticed the stryker ACV is sand-coloured. Will the normal stryker get this paint as well?
yep, the US Army has had a budget increase so they can no afford to paint there Strykers in tan now

http://i37.tinypic.com/33dh0qr.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
Attention to detail is what makes a good game great. That would be a nice touch

I was hoping the PR team would come up with something like this as the trailer is dump.

IMO - the commander should be vulnerable with this new implementation. I'm not sure where you intend to position the player when they "enter" the ACV but they should not have the god-like immortality that the current commanders have.
Would be a lot of work and would increase the file size of the mod a lot, let alone would be difficult to pull off epically on woodland maps where there texture suffix is generic.

and ye the commander is in a slightly venerable positions, but still him being in the main base will make it hard for any one to shoot him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *APG* <=130192=> View Post
But it can be destroyed?
Nope.

Closed Thread

Tags
acvs, armoured, command, static, statics, vehicles