project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Software & Operating Systems
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Software & Operating Systems Discussion on Computer Software & Operating Systems

Old 2009-05-12, 00:54   #1
Darkpowder

Default Punkbuster and Windows 7

Windows 7 Build 7100.

Only thing installed Creative X-Fi drivers and latest nvidia drivers for win 7 8800GTX 185.85 international.

Install BF2 - I didn't install pb during install.
Install SF if appropriate.
Install 1.41 patch.

- Install Pb services - http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbsvc/pbsvc.exe
- Install and then use the test button..
- Manage My computer - and ensure the two punkbuster services can interact with the desktop.

- Start a and b punkbuster services if they aren't started.
- I then installed pbsetup onto my C: drive where the game is installed. and added BF2 and updated as usual.
PunkBuster Online Countermeasures

- Check your console that pb is making contact.

I was then able to play BF2 for over an hour with no problems on a PB enabled server.w
- I will do some more testing on other servers - and then get PR installed to see if that all works fine with PB too.
Darkpowder is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 00:59   #2
space
Banned
Default Re: Punkbuster and Windows 7

I was going to post this earlier - plenty of people on the EA forum are saying that they can run BF2+PB on Win7 with no problems as well. Unfortunately some of them are saying they're having problems with the new BF2 1.5 Beta2+PB on Win7, but since Beta2 has only just been released, it could just be their set-up.
space is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 01:02   #3
Robbi
Supporting Member

Sounds like theyve started supporting it with the new RC.

About time

Time for a re download me thinks

Robbi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 13:27   #4
Darkpowder

Errors still reported with PR:
Unknown Windows API function 131133 - (this is is with almost vanilla win7 install).
Packetflow errors reported.
I have a ticket open with evenbalance so i will update as i get some answers.

--

From EVENBALANCE:-
Note #2: This is due to PunkBuster not supporting Windows 7, and we will not support Windows 7 until it is released to the general public for purchase. I'm sorry, but we do not support beta or release candidate operating systems.

--

I would personally log a ticket with them just so they understand the interest, but this is their answer.
Last edited by Darkpowder; 2009-05-12 at 15:55..
Old 2009-05-12, 13:54   #5
=BTB= LoftyB

Damn, was lookin forward to puttin RC1 on my comp. Thanks for testing, lets hope something gets sorted cos im sick of Vista, and didnt like XP.
=BTB= LoftyB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 15:20   #6
space
Banned

Windows 7 & BF2 - Electronic Arts UK Community

There's one person on that thread who explains how he got it to work. I've read several other comments dotted around the EA forum, where other people have managed it too.

EDIT : Just seen someone post this link somewhere else on the EA forum :

Battlefield 2 Under WINDOWS 7 FIXED!!!

Also the DICE guy has said hes talking to evenbalance about Win7. To be fair, I can understand evenbalance not releasing fixes for beta OS's, but now that the current Win7 release is probably going to be final, Im sure they'll offer official support before the release date ( which is going to be October apparently )
Last edited by space; 2009-05-12 at 15:30..
Old 2009-05-12, 15:53   #7
Darkpowder

That solution does not work on 7100 build x64.

32 bit users have reported no problems with punkbuster so long as reasonable admin privs are set.

Solved Punkbuster - Page 16 - Windows 7 Forums

Have a look at this thread (be careful with any solution posted).

Main conclusion so far is:

No problems when connecting to a Windows 7 server running the application:

---

Each fingerprint is compared with a list of signatures on PB server.
If the fingerprint does not match, a kick is issued for the player along with the infamous

"UNKNOWN WINDOWS API FUNCTION [131xxx]"

message.
Depending on PB server/client versions and game, this specific check might be executed immediately upon join or several minutes thereafter.
There have been rare occurrences where this specific check was never executed thus letting the player remain on server without being kicked.

---

More information on the core of the problem:-
--
credit to: http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/57...buster-21.html
The cause is simple. Its the services. Pnkbstr A Says fulltime and always remains ticked for "Allow to interact with desktop"

Pnkbstr B however is the cuplrit. Pnkbstr B Dissappears when you close a game and appears when yous start one so the only way to work with it is to run a punkbuster game and make it come out of its little shell.

The problem is that it updates and refreshes ever eh...3 minutes or so. not a big deal for it but when it has to be seen by the server when the server goes around checking punkbuster API codes, Yours is going to fail because it has refreshed and that TICK mark has dissappeared.

Is there a way we can edit Pnkbstr B to make it so that the Tick stays there? or is like unremoveable? I think that's going to be our ticket item
---
Last edited by Darkpowder; 2009-05-12 at 16:16..
Old 2009-05-12, 16:57   #8
Robbi
Supporting Member

If you edit Punkbuster B then you will probably end up with a global ban on your hands to be fair...

Robbi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 17:53   #9
Darkpowder

Problem also being discussed on technet:

Punkbuster doesnt work with Win 7 64bit

Punkbuster Support for Windows 7 Petition

While we are still monitoring the forums and researching why it doesn't work, don't forget to sign the petition people.
Darkpowder is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 10:42   #10
space
Banned

Looks like it will work now guys:

Quote:
Evenbalance pushed out an update for PB and Battlefield 2. They say it should work fine now for Windows 7 32 bit and maybe 64 bit but they are still working on the 64 bit OS.
Windows 7 & BF2 - Page 2 - Electronic Arts UK Community
space is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
punkbuster, windows