project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2024-03-05, 02:55   #1
botfragger
Default G3 rifle buff proposal

Hey, recently I've been doing some light edits on weapon assets for my single-player gameplay. So, maybe we could buff the G3 battle rifle to match other rifle factions? I'm proposing to buff the G3 scope to a 3.5 magnifier, making it better than other rifles but still not greater than a marksman or sniper. Maybe with this adjustment, the game would be more balanced, especially if we also address any recoil issues. I hope we can have a conversation about this rifle.
botfragger is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-06, 12:08   #2
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: G3 rifle buff proposal

Your proposed buff is from 4x scope to ~5x scope. With that the G3 would get close to DMR level of magnification. It would also make the scope even worse in CQB. Lastly it would not match the real life capabilities of the scope.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-06, 16:06   #3
botfragger
Lightbulb Re: G3 rifle buff proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
Your proposed buff is from 4x scope to ~5x scope. With that the G3 would get close to DMR level of magnification. It would also make the scope even worse in CQB. Lastly it would not match the real life capabilities of the scope.
Well, it will not be the same as the DMR scope, as I have compared it. Still slightly worse than the DMR scope. But isn't that the point for the G3, as a battle rifle? For CQB, the non-scoped G3 should have less recoil than the scoped one, as it now has the same recoil as the scoped one and also more mags. With this, people can still have a choice for CQB battles by using the non-scoped G3. Or maybe, with a radical approach, giving the G3 scope the ability to have a second sight using iron sights, similar to the sa8, C7, and RPK rifles?.
Old 2024-03-20, 05:28   #4
dcm1

How about nerfing the damage of all weapons across the board? Except for battle rifles.
dcm1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-21, 10:50   #5
botfragger
Lightbulb Re: G3 rifle buff proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm1 View Post
How about nerfing the damage of all weapons across the board? Except for battle rifles.

Hmm... I don't think it's a good idea to nerf all rifles besides the battle rifle. The AK-74 already has the lowest damage compared to other rifles, so nerfing it would make the AK-74 even more powerless. The best chance is to buff the G3 without adding more complex mechanics, such as reducing recoil, increasing damage, or enhancing the scope to a 5x magnifier.
Old 2024-03-21, 12:12   #6
mebel
Supporting Member

Btw for scope zoom, maybe it would be good to use this equation:
fov = (<base_fov>) / (ln <scope_zoom> + <focus_zoom>)
Where:
<base_fov> - a default FOV that is used
<scope_zoom> - scope magnification
<focus_zoom> - extra zoom that you get when pressing shift
ln is the natural logarithm

mebel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-21, 22:27   #7
InfantryGamer42

Quote:
Originally Posted by botfragger View Post
For CQB, the non-scoped G3 should have less recoil than the scoped one, as it now has the same recoil as the scoped one and also more mags
Advantage of non-scoped G3 in close combat comes down from lack off that scope. Without scope, you actually have chance to place your rounds where you want them when firing single shot, which makes G3 relatively solid in CQB, while in same time still being more then capable of fighting mid to long range fight, thanks to iron sight zoom.

There is really no point to changing recoil of non-scoped G3.
InfantryGamer42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-22, 09:46   #8
botfragger
Smile Re: G3 rifle buff proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfantryGamer42 View Post
Advantage of non-scoped G3 in close combat comes down from lack off that scope. Without scope, you actually have chance to place your rounds where you want them when firing single shot, which makes G3 relatively solid in CQB, while in same time still being more then capable of fighting mid to long range fight, thanks to iron sight zoom.

There is really no point to changing recoil of non-scoped G3.
Okay, but the non-scoped G3 still has worse recoil compared to other 50-damage rifles like the AK-47 and FAL. You know what? Maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps the G3 is simply the worst rifle in real life, so it's reasonable for developers to depict it as the weakest rifle to reflect reality. Consequently, we'll likely see the Non-asset MEC continuously getting destroyed in Kashan, Muttrah, and (my personal favorite) the alternate layer of Burning Sand.
Old 2024-03-22, 16:07   #9
[R-CON]​Frontliner
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by botfragger View Post
Okay, but the non-scoped G3 still has worse recoil compared to other 50-damage rifles like the AK-47 and FAL.
The difference between FAL and G3 is so small it's not actually something one could possibly perceive.
The AK47 rifle family deals 45 base damage due to firing a weaker cartridge. It is unable to two shot on torso if the target has body armour as opposed to both G3 and FAL being guaranteed two-shotters up until 400m + some extra distance due to a target bleeding out before a bandage can be applied.

Quote:
You know what? Maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps the G3 is simply the worst rifle in real life, so it's reasonable for developers to depict it as the weakest rifle to reflect reality.
If I'm not mistaken it was K_Rivers who made these stats and I have doubts he ever held a firearm in hand much less shot one. Idiosyncracies like FN FAL and G3 having the minutest of differences sometimes slip through when toying around with the game, so I wouldn't advise you to read too much into this.
That being said, the G3 is indeed an outdated rifle and it has much greater value in the game for what I personally attribute to it and that's mostly coming from wanting to equalizing the playing field, even if the tools given are slightly different.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-22, 18:10   #10
botfragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontliner View Post
The difference between FAL and G3 is so small it's not actually something one could possibly perceive.
The AK47 rifle family deals 45 base damage due to firing a weaker cartridge. It is unable to two shot on torso if the target has body armour as opposed to both G3 and FAL being guaranteed two-shotters up until 400m + some extra distance due to a target bleeding out before a bandage can be applied.

If I'm not mistaken it was K_Rivers who made these stats and I have doubts he ever held a firearm in hand much less shot one. Idiosyncracies like FN FAL and G3 having the minutest of differences sometimes slip through when toying around with the game, so I wouldn't advise you to read too much into this.
That being said, the G3 is indeed an outdated rifle and it has much greater value in the game for what I personally attribute to it and that's mostly coming from wanting to equalizing the playing field, even if the tools given are slightly different.
Maybe the difference in recoil between the FAL and the G3 isn't much, since the FAL doesn't have a scoped version. However, even when playing without a scope, I can feel the difference. That's why I'm guessing it has less recoil. Or perhaps it's because I'm playing in 1280x1024 resolution, so I assumed that I could see the difference.

Despite G3 as a powerhouse rifle, is there any possibility of slightly buffing the weapon to match other rifles, especially the scoped G3? I'm not suggesting introducing new mechanics to the game like shift-scoping, but considering how the G3 is unmatched in certain contexts such as layers Canada or UK with their dual scoped rifle.

So it's fair, I guess, to give the G3 a 5x magnifier scope, or perhaps a dual-scoped feature like the RPK.

Tags
#g3, #g3a3, #kashan, #mec, #rifle