project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Software & Operating Systems
23 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Software & Operating Systems Discussion on Computer Software & Operating Systems

Old 2014-04-23, 03:05   #1
Ninja2dan
Retired PR Developer

Default Windows 8 new PC, programs not installing

So I just got my girlfriend a new Windows 8 PC, which is the first time I'm using one on that OS. And it seems there is a problem that I'm unable to figure out, so I'm asking here in case anyone else has had similar issues and found the cause or a solution.

Basically, when I try to install anything that requires a web download or web update, such as Adobe Flash Player, nothing will install. It keeps telling me that the computer isn't able to connect and download the software or update, yet I'm obviously connected to the internet.

It states something about my firewall not allowing the connection, yet when I look at my firewall settings it doesn't have anything blocked. I've even turned the firewall completely off, yet the error message and failure to install persists. This happens with software updates of programs already installed too, not just fresh installs.

If I have a full program, such as from a CD/DVD or a full file, it will install just fine. No problems connecting to the internet or downloading torrent files, and I've been able to upload files to online storage.

It seems like one of the default settings is somehow blocking any programs from downloading an installation or update set from the web. Again, full program install files will work, but not the web-based ones that download a small install "starter" that continue their install via web download.

Trying to install Adobe Flash 13 (latest) using the >1MB web downloader, it fails to install. But I could download the full version of 11.7 and it works fine, just won't update to a newer version. Yahoo messenger will also not install after downloading the partial web installer. The system settings are still default, System Mechanic Pro has nothing blocked and shows all is good yet it won't update either.

I have also checked the router settings, nothing blocked. I just can't figure out what's causing the problem.

Ninja2dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-23, 04:15   #2
Steeps
Supporting Member

Try going to User Accounts and disabling User Account Control and see if that does anything.

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
installing, programs, windows