project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Texturing
18 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2011-01-01, 13:49   #1
splatters
Default [Soldier] Finnish Soldier Textures [WIP](FDF)

Here are the latest pics of the new soldier textures for the FDF. Rendered in haste, nothing fancy.

These textures in the pics are almost identical and of same resolution as the ones in-game, difference is that they have only the parts of the normal maps that I made myself since I couldn't get the BF2 world space normal maps rendering correctly in Max for some reason. They work well in-game though. Maybe someone will post some ingame screenies later, they're a bit hard to come by.

Normal maps are redone for the vests, speculars heavily modified and also redone for the vests.

I think I did a pretty good job with the light model, but despite all the hours I spent on the heavy model's texture I really dislike it. It just doesn't look right to me and I'm thinking of redoing it on a different model, since that model doesn't really match the vests actual shape which is quite crucial. Lack of proper reference images didn't help either, had to do almost everything from scratch

Textures are still WIP, everything else aside they are still lacking dirt and wear completely. Give me constructive feedback, tell me what you think!

Alas, now I must hurry for I do not wish to miss my train to the cold north!

He just came out of the sauna and dipped into the avanto, of course his face is red!

p.s. found something I did in a couple of minutes to amuse myself, colors and pattern aren't realistic at all but maybe it'll amuse someone else too, dtacs perhaps

Last edited by splatters; 2011-01-01 at 14:37..
Old 2011-01-01, 16:53   #2
Hulabi
Supporting Member

Default re: [Texture] Finnish Soldier Textures [WIP] [FDF]

In-game pics:

Hulabi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 18:04   #3
R|ksa

Looking pretty good
R|ksa is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 20:57   #4
maarit
Supporting Member

good to see some progress
maarit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 22:26   #5
dtacs
Supporting Member

LOVE IT!!!!!

If only they didn't replace the old M/91 camo, it looked so cool

Now find someone to model the pouches and gear
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 22:40   #6
Hulabi
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
LOVE IT!!!!!

If only they didn't replace the old M/91 camo, it looked so cool

Now find someone to model the pouches and gear
We already have people working on those
Hulabi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 01:04   #7
J.F.Leusch69
Retired PR Developer

looking pretty good so far!

remember you can choose soldier models from vBF2, SF and booster packs.

we usually use for a conventional army 2-3 different playermodels and than add different faces to them to get about 4-6 different looking soldiers. i guess you wont have much trouble doing some decent faces after seeing the good job you have done on the normals!
J.F.Leusch69 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 02:15   #8
Bellator

Shouldn't the rank markings be black? Having those large golden chevrons will give the squad leader away to the enemy.
Bellator is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 02:31   #9
temexter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellator View Post
Shouldn't the rank markings be black? Having those large golden chevrons will give the squad leader away to the enemy.
Those golden ones are used at barracks etc. so when not in combat area.

Those will be replaced in game with dark ones used e.g. in Afghanistan:

temexter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 14:57   #10
XoravaX

Here is how the real M/05 flak jacket looks like, it's visually identical to the M/05 ballistic jacket minus the different colour. Every flak and ballistic jacket has the groin flap.

The groin flap turned up against the jacket. Also note the flak jacket doesn't have PALS straps on the backside compared to the assault vest which has. That's why the M/05 assault vest is sometimes worn on top of the flak or ballistic jacket.

The side of the jacket.

I have to say that you've done very good job on getting the M/05 summer camo looking real. Also the M/05 assault vest (see the pics below) is really good.

But seeing the webbing in the other thread, why are the soldiers wearing M/85 webbing (valjastetsari) on top of the the M/05 assault vest (taisteluliivi)? The M/05 vest can carry the pouches on its own with its PALS straps, and no sane person would prefer the horrible and blocky M/85 webbing to the convenient and far more comfortable M/05 vest and its customisable pouch placement. The M/05 system is designed to replace the M/85 system completely.

So, there is no need for the shoulder straps and the pouches could be placed more freely around the soldier. Unless the soldiers are the bulk of the reserve with leftover equipment and not the spearhead forces with the latest equipment, in which case they should be textured without the M/05 vests. With the older flak jackets that would work.

Here you can see the M/05 assault vest in use with the new M/05 winter clothing. Note the different placement of the pouches to the one set of pictures above.

Finally, all modern Finnish equipment is coloured Olive Drab instead of black or the old field grey, except for boots and leather gloves. Winter gloves are white and winter leather mittens ("noukkarit", "no-can-do mittens" - they have no trigger finger) are black like the other leather gloves.
Last edited by XoravaX; 2012-06-01 at 20:05..

Tags
fdf, finnish, soldier, texture, textures, wip, wipfdf