project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Faction Archives > African Resistance Fighters
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
African Resistance Fighters Discussion pertaining to the African Resistance Fighters (ARF) faction.

Old 2010-06-07, 09:01   #1
ChiefRyza
Default Discussion: ARF Voices

Hello all, I think this is a very important topic regarding the ARF faction and needs strong attention. While it has been discussed a small amount in other threads, we should pull together ideas on what the voiceovers should sound like, what accents to use etc.

From my understanding there are so many languages throughout Africa it would be impossible and against the nature of the faction to choose one so specific. Seeing as the official language of many African nations are either French or English, we should focus on creating a consistent collection of voices.

I personally think that English should be used primarily with African accents. This would easily distinguish the force itself and remain relatively accurate. Maybe also, have small bits of French dialogue mixed throughout (To signify some soldiers knowing both French, and English). If we attempt to mix the two completely there will be problems with the faction being a mixed lingual unit (which doesn't exactly work in real life - eg. Canadian Forces ).

On the other hand if we have only one, either pure French or pure English, it might not be representative enough of the faction being from a large collection of African nations.

Anyway, I'm just throwing this out there because I think it needs to be discussed and worked on ASAP. I'm sure if we band together we can get the voice acting for the ARF done as difficult as it may be.
Old 2010-06-07, 12:56   #2
Wakain
Default Re: Discussion: ARF Voices

interesting point there chief, but though pure english or french diaologue will make teamwork and mutual understanding easier, I think choosing one african language will add more to the game. perhaps it's worth researching which country is most active with the current african union army.

just my 10 pence there
Old 2010-06-07, 13:05   #3
BroCop

Meh all I care is that they dont speak Afrikaneer (FarCry2 syndrome in which every single person has a dutch/aussie accent)
Old 2010-06-07, 13:41   #4
ChiefRyza

Well I was personally thinking for consistencies sake to have them with African accents, pretty much speaking full English and it would make it easier to understand. Considering it's the official language of a large number of nations it would make sense. The idea is that the ARF is a collection of nations, you can't have an army that speaks a load of different languages without understanding a common one. If we have the opportunity to have an English speaking OPFOR I think it would be great because we would actually be able to use the commo rose in combat and understand

The problem now is finding voice actors. English speaking African people with strong accents would be the most suitable, but we just have to organize something. If anyone has any friends who have a strong African accent that would be great, otherwise I might have to put up some voice acting advertisements at uni or something, see if I can find some willing volunteers.
Old 2010-06-07, 14:07   #5
Web_cole
Supporting Member

The Golden Rule of voice acting: do it perfect or not at all

Old 2010-06-07, 15:06   #6
Wakain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRyza View Post
Well I was personally thinking for consistencies sake to have them with African accents, pretty much speaking full English and it would make it easier to understand. Considering it's the official language of a large number of nations it would make sense. The idea is that the ARF is a collection of nations, you can't have an army that speaks a load of different languages without understanding a common one. If we have the opportunity to have an English speaking OPFOR I think it would be great because we would actually be able to use the commo rose in combat and understand

The problem now is finding voice actors. English speaking African people with strong accents would be the most suitable, but we just have to organize something. If anyone has any friends who have a strong African accent that would be great, otherwise I might have to put up some voice acting advertisements at uni or something, see if I can find some willing volunteers.
I was referring to the CF solution which had a similar, though national problem with it's language. Anyway I think you're right, gameplay and realism wise it would be better to use english, though indeed with strong accents. perhaps sometimes the odd random african word the soldier has difficulties translating with
can't help you with that I'm affraid, but I wish you the best of luck
Old 2010-06-07, 17:10   #7
Sgt_Doctor

My idea was to use the EF voices.

Why ? Because, you can hear some differents accents when the soldiers speak in English. (French, Spanish etc.)
Old 2010-06-07, 17:37   #8
AcornBeing
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]Sgt_Doctor View Post

Why ? Because, you can hear some differents accents when the soldiers speak in English. (French, Spanish etc.)
Totally agree. And if English is a possibility, one should probably use it in game for the sake of ease of communication. Just like Canadians speak English ingame as of now, although in reality there are surely some French speaking soldiers as well. That is not to say that other languages should not be used, - but, as I just said, English would be preferred, if it is to benefit the gameplay. BF2: Euro Forces indeed has a pretty good compilation of voiceovers in English with accent, so maybe PR should use it for now, at least as some sort of placeholder for future modifications.
Old 2010-06-08, 01:39   #9
ChiefRyza

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]Sgt_Doctor View Post

Mm, I think the most usable one from EU Forces is the French (Squad leader) but other than that using the other ones doesn't feel like they are from Africa. I don't think the ARF is going to be made up of British born scholars either.

As a placeholder for now, sure, but why not take the chance to record some original voices for the faction. I know it is a lot of work but surely it would pay off.
Old 2010-06-08, 10:17   #10
Wakain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRyza View Post
Mm, I think the most usable one from EU Forces is the French (Squad leader) but other than that using the other ones doesn't feel like they are from Africa. I don't think the ARF is going to be made up of British born scholars either.

As a placeholder for now, sure, but why not take the chance to record some original voices for the faction. I know it is a lot of work but surely it would pay off.
I do believe it was proposed as a placeholder, I don't think it would be minded if someone created some top notch african accented voices

Tags
arf, discussion, voices