project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Falklands General Discussion
24 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:Falklands General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality Falklands modification.

Old 2014-06-26, 16:16   #1
GGEfferen
Default Update?

I just wanted to know what?s the status on the minimod. I know that asking for a date of release is not possible to answer, but maybe a % of how much is done would be ok.
Btw, I saw a couple of vids on youtube about it, and it looks just awesome. BUT there were no paved roads in the islands at the time of the war, at least not in the countryside (just Port Stanley had a couple of streets)
Old 2014-06-26, 17:38   #2
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGEfferen View Post
I just wanted to know what?s the status on the minimod. I know that asking for a date of release is not possible to answer, but maybe a % of how much is done would be ok.
We are currently working on new content/features for it and it is a high priority is all I can really say right now so watch this space, or rather the highlight/blog/news pages

Quote:
Btw, I saw a couple of vids on youtube about it, and it looks just awesome.
Cheers and here's some recent updates you might have missed:
Shooting Pheasants with a Drainpipe - Project Reality Forums
Guess the Object - Project Reality Forums
Don't you think you could have brought something a little more practical? - Project Reality Forums

Quote:
BUT there were no paved roads in the islands at the time of the war, at least not in the countryside (just Port Stanley had a couple of streets)
Ye I'm aware there was only paved roads in and around Stanley during the war but the main reason why I did paved roads over dirt roads since making roads was a pain in the ass to being with, since this is mesh terrain rather than normal terrain and as such, they had to be modelled into the terrain and doing that with dirt roads would have required loads of custom textures for each intersection, or a seriously low quality dirt road just painted onto the colour map so for the sake of simplicity I went with paved roads

Old 2014-06-26, 18:41   #3
GGEfferen
Default Re: Update?

Well thanks for all those links, I had only seen the 'Guess the object' one. And I also like the idea of making of this thread the one of updates and discussion for now.
Concerning the roads, indeed, they are the reason why there where no tanks fighting in falklands, but paved ones are surely easier to make and should make the map a bit more dynamic.
Just thanks for the mod and keep up the amazing job!
Old 2014-06-26, 21:05   #4
[R-DEV]​camo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

^tank. (barely)

Old 2014-06-26, 21:12   #5
GGEfferen

Exactly, barely. A Scorpion is not even considered a light tank as far as I know, neither does the Panhard, used by the argentines. Still, there were not clashes between these kind of armoured cars, and their use was pretty limited, mainly, because most of the war was fought on hills.
Old 2014-06-26, 22:07   #6
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
And I also like the idea of making of this thread the one of updates and discussion for now.
This thread here is for that, although granted I hadn't updated it for a bit and have only just updated it with the above links I gave you: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f56...ml#post1772398

Quote:
Concerning the roads, indeed, they are the reason why there where no tanks fighting in falklands, but paved ones are surely easier to make and should make the map a bit more dynamic.
Think the main reason, for the British at least, there where no Main Battle Tanks taken was simply a logistics problem of getting them, their spares and other service equipment to the islands, when there was no real threat for them to deal with that the Milan and CVR(T)s couldn't handle. Dunno what tanks the Argentines had back then or their reasoning behind not deploying them but possibly a logistical one as well, since the AML-90 I'm guessing could be pretty easily air lifted in and a tank would need to be shipped over and by the time they probably decided they could do with any of the tanks they might have had, their that link was cut off by subs.

Quote:
Exactly, barely. A Scorpion is not even considered a light tank as far as I know, neither does the Panhard, used by the argentines. Still, there were not clashes between these kind of armoured cars, and their use was pretty limited, mainly, because most of the war was fought on hills.
The FV101 Scorpion is classed as both a reconnaissance vehicle and a light tank and could be used in both roles. During the Falklands War it was mainly used as a Light Tank during the later part of the war.

The FV107 Scimitar is primarily a reconnaissance vehicle but is occasion classed as a light tank too (not as much as the Scorpion) but was again, mainly used as a light tank during the later part of the war with the Scorpion.

The Panhard AML 90 however is just classed as an Armoured Scout Car, mainly due it it having wheels rather than tracks since its fire power is pretty considerable for such a role.

There also was a small armour engagement during the Falklands War between Argentine AML-90s and V101 Scorpions and FV107 Scimitars of the Blues and Royals during the Battle of Wireless Ridge, but there is little info on the net about actually what happened during this engagement.

Also the Brits did use their CVR(T)s pretty effectively during the war after Goose Green as their NV capability and firepower was extremely valuable at assaulting the hills at night.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 2014-06-26 at 22:13..
Old 2014-06-27, 15:04   #7
GGEfferen

I seriously cant argue with you about military equipment and vehicles, you have three times more knowledge than I do. If you say a Scorpion is a light tank, then it is, I was wrong.
Argentina only landed 8 Recon vehicles, it was not just a logistical problem, but the use that a tank could be given at the Isles was very reduced. We had back then (and still have a modernized version of it) the SK-105 Kuirassier. Think about it, a CVR like the Scimitar could move through the hills and provide cover, but not a SK, the Kuirassier could have never go through that rocky terrain. Maintaining them only to be used from Stanley to Wireless Ridge would have been just retarded.
The 8 Panhards were on "stand by" the hole war. The last week they were ordered to cover the retreat of our 5th Marine Regiment, but nothing more, they only shot a few rounds just to check the distance between them and british positions.
Old 2014-06-27, 15:49   #8
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
I seriously cant argue with you about military equipment and vehicles, you have three times more knowledge than I do. If you say a Scorpion is a light tank, then it is, I was wrong.
Well the basic definition of a Light Tank simply is:
Quote:
A tank variant initially designed for rapid movement, and now primarily employed in the reconnaissance role, or in support of expeditionary forces where main battle tanks cannot be made available.
Which describes the Scorpion and even the Scimitar pretty well and how it was used during the Falklands, as well as the Scorpion being listed on the Light Tanks wiki page: Light tank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The British FV101 Scorpion, the fire support variant of the Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance (Tracked) series of vehicles that replaced armoured cars in British service has been described as a light tank and was sold to many smaller nations.
Quote:
Argentina only landed 8 Recon vehicles
My sources say the Argentines deployed "12 AML-90s from the Escuadron de Exploracion Caballeria Blindada 181 (181st Armoured Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron) and an unknown additional number from Escuadron de Exploracion Caballeria Blindada 10 near Port Stanley."

Photos would also suggest that there where quite a few deployed to the Falklands, not that you can't see more than six in any one photo but there are a lot of photos of them all stacked up in different locations, some well outside of Stanley even:

This video is in Spanish but may also have some info in. BTW if there is anything in there to support an armoured engagement between CVR(T)s and the AML-90 would be good to know

Old 2014-06-28, 10:55   #9
GGEfferen

The 181st Recon Squadron was a unit formed specifically for the war. As Argentina couln't take a hole regiment, they took some vehicles from the recoinassance squadron from various units. 6 of these came from the 3rd Armoured Regiment, 4 from the 10th Armoured Regiment and 2 from the 9th Armoured Regiment. Only 8 of these were landed in the war, the other 4 from the 10th didn't arrive in time (the other 2 regiments were in Patagonia, whilst the 10th was in the middle of the country) and never got to Falklands because of the british blockade.
Summary, the 181st was composed by 12 Panhard from varios regiments but only 8 of these got to Falklands.
Old 2014-08-05, 03:55   #10
fatalsushi83

It looks like they put a tank turret on an armored car. Does it roll back 20 meters every time you fire it?

Tags
update