project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2008-02-17, 19:14   #1
Serbiak
Question One router two PR players at the same time?

My brother and me use the same router so the ip should be the same (correct me if I´m wrong).
Now he´s planning to install Project reality as well so we can play together at the same time.
The problem is that we are concerned if we can play at the same time with one internet connection and the same ip (and of cause wih two different accounts).

He does not want to try it.
So just let me know what you think about it and if you have experience with that.

Thanks
Old 2008-02-17, 19:25   #2
creepin
the IP adress is unique for every computer connected to your router, as your router is assigning a new IP adress everytime a new device is connecting.

It shouldnt be a problem when you guys play at the same time, as long as your internet bandwith is sufficent (u'll at least need 2mbits/s)

Apart from that there should not be any problems.

BTW: Tell your brother to read the manual first!!
Last edited by creepin; 2008-02-17 at 19:26.. Reason: typo
Old 2008-02-17, 19:51   #3
Serbiak

Thanks for your fast reply.

We got DSL 16000 so the speed shouldn´t be the Problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepinshadow24/7 View Post
BTW: Tell your brother to read the manual first!!
Don´t worry about that I know how bad it sucks if others don´t know how the game works. So I´ll make sure he does so.
Old 2008-02-17, 20:06   #4
M4nicMin3r

Quote:
the IP adress is unique for every computer connected to your router, as your router is assigning a new IP adress everytime a new device is connecting.

I think he means EXTERNAL IP..., not LAN (unless you have a broadband connection that supplies more than 1 static IP), not too sure how this would work out, especially if your both on the same server. Let us know how you go eh? i would be interested to see who that works out for you.

Hmm just to add.., ive just remembered, i know someone who has 3 comps (with 2 diff installs of bf2) behind a router and i believe he plays on ranked vbf2 servers and has no problems. I wouldve thought he would have had problerms with punkbuster seeing it as some sort of clone or w/e but apparently all runs well. Only thing you can do is to try it out and see.
Old 2008-02-17, 20:21   #5
creepin

well the static IP is just a Gateway aka. not a blockade, every PC is still connected to the internet by itself, the send Packets also include the MAC Adress of each PC to direct them properly, and MAC adresses are unique on the whole world (except some1 spoofs one)

Its like a packet adressed to a house adress (Static IP, delivery), then to some1 in the house (MAC adress, locator), and to give it to that someone you need to find him (dynamic IP, delivery)

the MAC and dynamic IP are always in relation to each other

bit complicated, and i dont think i explained it correctly or even understandable...
its all flying around my head..
Old 2008-02-17, 20:23   #6
NickO

My brother and I do it. But you must have 2 different CD-Keys I believe..
Old 2008-02-17, 21:30   #7
Nitneuc
Supporting Member

I had no problems playing FH2 with my 2 bro at the same times using our router. Obviously you need different CD keys for each.

Many thanks to everyone involved in the making of the best videogaming experience ever !
Old 2008-02-17, 21:36   #8
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I've had problems b4 with 2 comps on the same wireless router. But It seems to be isolated to certain Belkin products as far as I've see.

Old 2008-02-18, 10:06   #9
SnipingCoward

Quote:
well the static IP is just a Gateway aka. not a blockade, every PC is still connected to the internet by itself, the send Packets also include the MAC Adress of each PC to direct them properly, and MAC adresses are unique on the whole world (except some1 spoofs one)
i am sorry to correct you on that one, but the router replaces the packet headers with its own, ip and mac (thus the BF2 server really sees one connection two times)

there are several network protokols working together
an important one here is NAT

this is way too far into computer science to explain it here - but if you are really interrestet in it try googling

to wrap it up: it is possible to play online games with multiple pcs behind a router, with all joining the same server (especially if your router is not older than 5 years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2B Rudd
I've had problems b4 with 2 comps on the same wireless router. But It seems to be isolated to certain Belkin products as far as I've see.
well that was not because of the router but because of the settings of the router (there are routers which lack the capability of NAT, yours has the capability)

but your bringing up a good point, because several connections to one server exist, the router might interprete it as an attack and block that IP - then you'll have to disable some protections against intrusion or DOS-attacks (unlikely to happen )
Last edited by SnipingCoward; 2008-02-18 at 10:14..
Old 2008-02-18, 15:50   #10
Serbiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipingCoward View Post
it is possible to play online games with multiple pcs behind a router, with all joining the same server (especially if your router is not older than 5 years)
Since it seems that you are really into that kind of stuff. Is there anything I have to consider if I have a brand new router?

Your reply does not sound like it is always possible since you wrote "especially". Can you tell me the requirements if there are any.

Thanks for your help

Tags
players, router, time