project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2011-12-19, 23:09   #1
splatters
Default [2D Texture] More realistic mini-maps?

The maps (overview / minimap, not the level) are one of my biggest pet peeves in PR, because of their gamey and unrealistic look. They don't look much like real photographs and could use some color correction to make them look cooler
Also, having the maps less saturated with bright colours would bring up the icons more.

This is suggestion-ish but more of an overall question: Do you guys think that the current maps look good or should they be tweaked a little to represent real photographs?

Below is an example of what I'm talking about; in-game map, edited version of that and a real satellite image of Muttrah. Let me know what you think, if people like it, it wouldn't be a big task to do it on every map.

Last edited by splatters; 2011-12-19 at 23:30..
Old 2011-12-19, 23:27   #2
AFsoccer
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: More realistic maps?

So you mean more realistic mini-maps?

Can you post higher resolution versions of your examples? I'd be interested to see what the color tweaking does to the quality when zoomed in. After all, the most important function of these mini-maps is for navigation.

AFsoccer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 23:58   #3
splatters

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AFsoccer View Post
So you mean more realistic mini-maps?

Can you post higher resolution versions of your examples? I'd be interested to see what the color tweaking does to the quality when zoomed in. After all, the most important function of these mini-maps is for navigation.
Yeah, sorry meant mini-maps of course. Feel free to change the thread title

The color toning has a marginal effect on the quality and resolution of the map, if any. All it does is change the color values a little bit, very lossles editing.

Hi-res versions of muttrah:

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6527/muttraht.jpg

Dat looks pretty awesome I might say

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3449/muttrahv.jpg

Are there 'clean' mini-maps in the PR files without the grid? Could use those...
splatters is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 00:04   #4
Zrix
Supporting Member

I like it. Since we can't(easily) have maps that look like maps, they might as well look more like a real satellite image.

Last edited by Zrix; 2011-12-20 at 19:51..
Old 2011-12-20, 00:09   #5
splatters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrix View Post
I like it. Since we can't have maps that look like maps, they might as well look more like a real satellite image.
My thoughts exactly
Old 2011-12-20, 00:25   #6
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatters View Post
Hi-res versions of muttrah:

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6527/muttraht.jpg

Dat looks pretty awesome I might say
Not IMO, the washed out colour looks really awful. I know what your saying but thous filters are terrible.

If we wanted to go down the more realistic mini-map approach then Topographical maps are the best way, but IMO, too much work to make them really worth while and don't give the player enough detail, although this is a pretty good one of Qwai: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/kevptim/qwai.png

Best thing about them is you can see how the terrain actually is, where as some maps its hard to tell where the slopes really are.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 00:33   #7
splatters
Default Re: More realistic mini-maps?

Yes yes the topographical maps are one thing, but IIRC that idea was shot down long ago. We can't have that, but as Zrix said we should at least try to make the satellite images look more realistic. I think it's fair to say that the current ones do NOT look realistic

There are no 'filters' per se, and the colors aren't washed out that much, just different. If that kind of color theme doesn't please the eye, anyone can edit their own (and better?) versions of it. Black & white maybe? And to my eye they look a hundred times more realistic and better than those straight from the level editor.
Old 2011-12-20, 00:36   #8
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

just look at the containers on your minimap and you can't even tell what colour they are meant to be

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 00:42   #9
[R-DEV]​Tim270
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Not IMO, the washed out colour looks really awful. I know what your saying but thous filters are terrible.
On the flipside, the 'toned' mini-maps with a contrasting grid color overlay could look pretty good and make it way easier to see the grids, that is the only 'benefit' I can see from this.
Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 00:45   #10
splatters

Tim, you're right. The grids and icons on the map would be easier to distinguish that's the only functional benefit, but the main benefits would be aesthetics and realism.

And Rhino, I did that edit in one minute. There is plenty of room for improvement, this is more of a general concept. I noticed the container colors too and that could be easily fixed.

btw, here's the current minimap of my WIP map There are some (very small) inaccuracies, but so are there in real maps too! It looks very good, especially in the vehicle mini-map

Last edited by splatters; 2011-12-20 at 01:41..

Tags
maps, minimaps, realistic, texture