project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
22 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2007-03-27, 00:47   #1
Agent Johnson

Default motherboard

how much work is it to change out a motherboard. it cant be as simple as just swapping the gfx card, ram and all that to the new board is it?
Old 2007-03-27, 00:54   #2
Sandy_Beret
Supporting Member

nope

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone;
but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

- Malcolm X
Old 2007-03-27, 00:59   #3
Dylan

No, but you could have at least explained Sandy. :/

Basically, it takes a little longer than that because you need to re-connect all the wires, and if you don't know how its done, don't do it. Just get someone else to, because from MY experiences, having some other people do it gives you a warranty if they screw it up. If you do it yourself, and your a first timer you risk f'in up your mobo (commonly done by not following ESD (electro static discharge) procedures)
Old 2007-03-27, 01:09   #4
Agent Johnson

k, well while iv got this thread up what about installing new ram. how much work is there?
Old 2007-03-27, 02:35   #5
Dylan

As like in your other thread, all you do is take out the old sticks and put the new ones in. Be sure you plug in the RAM stick with the most memory into DIMM 1? I think its DIMM 1, but my terminology might be wrong there. :/ Don't quote me on it.
Old 2007-03-27, 02:39   #6
Blackhawk 5

I had mine changed out not long ago, with the knowledge it should take half an hour.
Old 2007-03-27, 02:41   #7
vanity

I'm on my 4th build and after the first 3, I was finally able to do this one without asking for help. It still took me 3-4 hours to complete it all b/c of course something always goes wrong and you have open it back up to investigate.

Swapping out the mobo isn't too bad, but if you haven't done it before you definitely want someone to help you along. Once you get everything unplugged, that mess of wires is going to look BRUTAL. Some things you plug in, others you don't, the wires are different shapes and sizes, and who knows why you only plug 4 things into your mobo but the damn thing has 100 little ports?? It can be frustrating trying to get everything back together again in the right spots, especially those stupid little plugs like hard drive light and power switch.

The RAM, graphics, sound, etc is all pretty simple to install. The whole process is pretty simple I guess, but I guarantee once it's laid out in front of you in pieces, you're going to be really intimidated. Be sure someone is there to help.
Old 2007-03-27, 04:17   #8
Sneak Attack

i have a dell.

Worthless post -Dylan
Last edited by Dylan; 2007-03-27 at 04:49..
Old 2007-03-27, 12:20   #9
General_J0k3r

for first timers no go id say as well. let someone knowledgeable do it, observe and learn
Old 2007-03-27, 13:22   #10
Topf

It can be hell...really.
If one screw is damaged, you could f*** up your whole PC.
If you never did it...be carefull as hell.

Tags
motherboard