project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
09 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2015-06-18, 14:40   #1
Lumicko
Default How the shooting really works??

Im kind of new to the game. Playing for 1 week.
I somehow dont get how exactly it Works... its so random.
I know that I have to wait like 2-3seconds before shooting ( while zoomed ) and I can crouch for better accuracy.
And still it happens so often that I aim on enemy and it doesnt still hit xxx bullets.
For example I met someone on medium range. Crouched waited 2-3seconds and started to shoot single shots and pacing beetwen. I shot first and shot like 7-8 bullets none of them hit and they were just flying around him! He looks at me shoots 1-2 bullets without even waiting and im dead. I mean what the hell? Its so annoying and flustrating. Happens to me all the time.
Lumicko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-18, 15:33   #2
DC_K
Supporting Member

Default Re: How the shooting really works??

this is something that CSGO players do, but I think works well here.. try spawning in a local map and practicing shooting walls or bots to experiment with deviation.. it could be that you're not aiming precisely.
DC_K is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-18, 16:27   #3
Lumicko

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_K View Post
this is something that CSGO players do, but I think works well here.. try spawning in a local map and practicing shooting walls or bots to experiment with deviation.. it could be that you're not aiming precisely.
Well I aimed at his chest area.
Yeah im shooting often walls / ground. And most of the time it hits exactly at the cross how it should be. But in the dammed action it just dont lol.. Idk why
Old 2015-06-18, 16:35   #4
Steeps
Supporting Member

There's also a big difference between automatic rifles/machine guns and infantry rifles. The settle time is higher for machine guns.

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-18, 17:19   #5
HABITUALOFFENDER

I will explain to you in depth how it works to the best of my knowledge, and what I have personally come to do in my experiences in 8 years of playing PR. I am not a programmer so some of the technical info may not be 100% accurate no pun intended.

1.) Misleading Client/Server mechanics
2.) Deviation System
3.) Wait times
4.) Firing modes

1.)When you shoot your rifle and you see the blood off an enemy, or the dust off the ground where your bullet hit may or may not be the actual place the bullet hit, whats actually happening here is the game on your side (Client) is registering shots before the server communicates the actual position of the x,y hit. This is because I assume, to keep a smooth play feeling with your actions and the game time via the server and the other player.

That being said, some of these shots you are shooting at the enemy may actually be hitting him without any visual confirmation so in some cases, although you feel you are missing, keep the fire pressure up on your target.

i.e. I saw a enemy laying beside a tree, he was not looking at me, I layed down and waited about 5 seconds; before I fired my iron sight was locked onto his head, and I fired a single shot. The bullet missed and hit the dirt to his right, but he died instantly. Client side miss calculation, Serve side hit calculation.

This mechanic is used in every FPS game I can think off.

2.) Now I will explain deviation mechanics. Deviation is essentially how inaccurate your gunfire will be. Infront of you it is an invisible cone e.g. PLAYER<cone, that cone gets smaller when you kneel down, or stop moving and it continues to get smaller and smaller until it is as accurate as it can be for that weapon.

Think of deviation as a number, the larger the number you get the larger your simulated inaccuracy fire cone will be. The things that effect your deviation are:

Sprinting - Large deviation penalty.
Slow Running - Medium deviation penalty.
Jumping - Off the charts deviation penalty

Standing - I think this has no effect, but it does not improve it.
Kneeling down - Reduces your deviation penalty slightly.
Prone - Temporairly increases deviation penalty, but after waiting 5-10 seconds you are the most accurate at this stance.

Side Stepping - Small deviation penalty
Walking forward/backward while aiming - Small deviation penalty.
Prone up to Kneeling - Small deviation Penalty.

Shooting - Small deviation penalty for every shot fired. For any general rifle, pods on rifles reduce this to almost null.

3.) Waiting before firing and not waiting. Waiting before firing is important, single shots are imporant but so are bursts and full autos. It is situational to when you should use these firing modes.

First things first; How long do I wait?

This depends on your gun, all general rifles are minimum 5 seconds for best accuracy. Expect to wait longer for every gun, why? just because it seems to be that way.

Standard Rifles - 5 seconds
Automatic Rifles and Marksmen are roughly 6-8
Sniper Rifles are 8-12

Waiting between shots.
General rifles, .5 to 1 second
Marksmen Rifles - 1.5 to 2.5 seconds
Automatic Rifles - who waits when using these?
Sniper Rifles - 2 to 5 seconds

4.)Firing modes I find are best used in these situations. Keeping in mind, suppression effect is also calculated into your choice of firing modes.

Far to medium (50m-100m) Single shots work best. Sometimes light burst is good depending if your target has any cover, if he has cover go for single shots.

Medium to close (-50m-inyourfkingface) Burst at throwing distance is good, full auto is king at close ranges a.k.a. spitting distance.

p.s. a little known mechanic is after stopped moving for so many seconds 3-6 if you decide to move, you get no deviation penalty for 2 seconds. Allowing you to change positions tactically without a penalty. This might be only after you wait till your deviation penalty hits zero so I'm not 100% sure.

I did not take this info directly from any source, this is strictly based on my knowledge of the game over the years and some of this info may not be correct. This is just to give you an idea as a new player how to move and shoot effectively. I spend almost all my game time doing infantry so it is the best advice I could give.

Heres some close quarter footage, burst and full auto examples. Skip to 1:30ish
[youtube="2FyRpluntK4"]INF combat[/youtube]
Last edited by HABITUALOFFENDER; 2015-06-18 at 20:37.. Reason: adding video example of burst/Fauto
Old 2015-06-18, 17:25   #6
Wing Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABITUALOFFENDER View Post
... and what I have personally come to do in my experiences in 8 years of playing PR.
Welcome to the forums?

How many times have you been banned?
Wing Walker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-18, 18:07   #7
HABITUALOFFENDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Walker View Post
Welcome to the forums?

How many times have you been banned?
Just as many times as you have made stupid posts
HABITUALOFFENDER is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-18, 19:23   #8
Lumicko

@HABITUALOFFENDER
Thanks for tips. Damn such long time waiting 5-8 seconds... I dont think I wait thaat long. The annoying thing is that enemy always barely waits 1-2seconds and shoots and pretty much always hits / kills me effectively. I Dont understand why they dont have to wait longer. ( Im mostly talking about mediom to long range )
Also if we see each other at medium range and we just stopped running I guess I cant wait 5+-seconds and I have to start shooting so I just pray that something hits? ( actually pretty much it just dont hit )
Im mostly using Rifleman gun
Last edited by Lumicko; 2015-06-18 at 19:45..
Old 2015-06-18, 20:16   #9
Anderson29
Supporting Member

dude, it's just something you have to get use to man. did you watch habitual's video?

lesson 1. should be seeing that he pies corners with sites up.
at that range in his video you dont have to wait at all to shoot.

lesson 2. dont prone dive the second you see somebody no matter the distance. there is a deviation penalty for that and you can tell when you go up against a noob in a firefight because they prone dive. i have been playing slightly longer than habitual and i rarely go prone and im a infantry whore in this game.
NEVER PRONE ON GROUND TERRAIN. ONLY ON BUILDINGS. AT A DISTANCE IT WILL LOOK LIKE YOU ARE FLOATING ABOVE THE TERRAIN WHEN U GO PRONE ON IT. stand behind the hill and just fire standing and when you crouch you should be behind the cover of the terrain so you dont get shot. that way if you do get shot the medic can revive you without exposing himself.

lesson 3. practice all things infantry on a local server. load up albasra and move some vehicles around, grab a rpg or whatever else and practice as insurgent. its the hardest faction and if you can master insurgent you are set for any other faction.

take a look at this section here in our forums. tons of tactics and helpful items to help you.

well i think that's pretty much it...habitual did a good job and i agree that not everything he said is 100% accurate but its close enough for me to not need to correct.

good luck Lumicko and other noobs.

in-game name : Anderson2981
steam : Anderson2981
Last edited by Anderson29; 2015-06-18 at 20:24..
Old 2015-06-20, 17:23   #10
Lumicko

Yeah I think I saw the vid.
THe most annoying thing as I said is that enemy doesnt seem to need to do any of those things.
Example which happened to me recently - Was fighting enemy we both had cover. The kind of cover where u have to peek entire body so no crouch / stand. I suppresed him and he hid and I was waiting for him to peek then suddenly he peeked and shot me instantly and I died medium range like 50-100m.
Just how?! He didnt even have to wait or anything. He had to move to peek on me thus reseting deviation?

Tags
accuracy, bullets, shooting, works