project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
23 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2020-06-06, 21:59   #1
TechiesJr

Default New PC

CPU: A8 7680 Radeon R7 Graphics (APU)
Ram: 8gb

Will it run?
TechiesJr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-06, 23:12   #2
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator
Default Re: New PC

won't be perfect, Its a low power CPU.
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-07, 01:19   #3
TechiesJr

So what can i do to have more power?
TechiesJr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-07, 09:10   #4
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
Supporting Member

Not play on a laptop
Old 2020-06-07, 09:37   #5
Smol Shrum

As specs of the AMD A8-7680 say, its 4 core processor running at 3500 MHz (3800 on single core)

Its more than enough to play PR at 60+ fps with any graphics.
Last edited by Smol Shrum; 2020-06-07 at 09:48..
Old 2020-06-07, 12:13   #6
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
Supporting Member

MHz aren't everything. Its still designed to prolong laptop battery life first, performance second.
Old 2020-06-07, 19:21   #7
SemlerPDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smol Shrum View Post
As specs of the AMD A8-7680 say, its 4 core processor running at 3500 MHz (3800 on single core)

Its more than enough to play PR at 60+ fps with any graphics.
No, in a laptop it is most certainly not, though it should be noted that it matters what display it is driving - likely a 1080p with a 70-75Hz refresh, most laptops stick with those... any higher, and it would be even slower. Would also have thermal issues after hours of play, if you're the type that plays for several hours.

It CAN play, sure - it will run. But on a laptop or poorly configured (non-gaming) PC, you're not gonna be getting 'all the FPS' despite what any specs or reviews state, likely should be ignored unless they are 1:1 with your exact system and THIS game; and you will have to get a bit technical to setup your lappy in an ideal manner for gaming/playing PR - diving deep into settings you may not be familiar with, testing and changing things and retesting... But it will run.

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-08, 05:24   #8
TechiesJr

Aight tnx
Last edited by TechiesJr; 2020-06-08 at 05:32..
Old 2021-01-23, 12:43   #9
mikejonesny

I am upgrading my hard disk drive, my friend has told me to look for a refurbished version of seagate sata hard disk here, but I am not sure whether the refurbished version of sata hdd would be as good as original or not, or rather I am a little worried that saving a few bucks may lead me to buying a new one later. So if anyone has a refurbished hard disk purchase / usage experience let me know, this will be my first refurbished purchase but if convinced with this one ill be shifting completely to this idea for all my pc / laptops future buys.
mikejonesny is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-23, 18:43   #10
SemlerPDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejonesny View Post
I am upgrading my hard disk drive, my friend has told me to look for a refurbished version of seagate sata hard disk here, but I am not sure whether the refurbished version of sata hdd would be as good as original or not, or rather I am a little worried that saving a few bucks may lead me to buying a new one later. So if anyone has a refurbished hard disk purchase / usage experience let me know, this will be my first refurbished purchase but if convinced with this one ill be shifting completely to this idea for all my pc / laptops future buys.
Think of it like this: a refurbished CPU cooler might break, but then the CPU would fail to start due to immediate thermal issues. You'd lose nothing in most every case, and fixing/replacing the cooler would restore the system to 100%

A refurbished hard drive (that I assume would hold all data and the Windows OS) might break, and you would lose everything that was not recently backed up to external media. You would again have to replace the hard drive and on top of that, reinstall Windows, all drivers, programs, and restore backup files (if any). It would take a long time to get back to 100%, if ever, considering you may have lost personal/configuration files.

Personally, I'd never buy refurbished storage drives unless they were in addition to other drives on a system, and used only for games maybe or backed up to those other drives frequently (or daily).

Better than a "used" drive, but still - put in the few extra dollars and buy a brand new drive.

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote